HP 50G THERMO-PRO [help]
08-16-2022, 06:57 PM
HP 50G THERMO-PRO [help]
good afternoon everyone,
I'm studying applied thermodynamics, and I found the post below containing a portability of the thermo-pro program for the hp 50g, but I can't find it anywhere to download.
Below is the link to the program for the hp 48g, which I couldn't get to work on the 50g, could anyone help me? it would make my life a lot easier.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1197.html

https://www.hpcalc.org/details/2270

more specifically I need the calculation part for R-12.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2022, 07:55 PM
RE: HP 50G THERMO-PRO [help]
It might be worth emailing Andreas (third post in linked thread) directly. His website is http://www.software49g.bplaced.net/index.html and there are contact details there, although no mention of Thermo-pro that I can see.

Nigel (UK)
08-16-2022, 10:28 PM
I sent him an email on 8/12, but still no response. thank you my friend
08-17-2022, 11:48 AM
You might already know this, but this page https://www.hpcalc.org/details/6159 includes the source code for ThermoPro. Unfortunately it is assembler. I know nothing about programming these calculators in assembler, but if you do you could perhaps rebuild it for the HP50g.

Other people might know whether this is possible and what (if anything) might need to be changed for this to work.

Good luck!

Nigel (UK)
08-17-2022, 12:07 PM
I couldn't find this post, it will definitely help. thanks

now I have to learn to port to the hp 50g, in case anyone has an idea, I'm accepting tips
08-17-2022, 07:19 PM
(08-17-2022 12:07 PM)trapp Wrote:  now I have to learn to port to the hp 50g, in case anyone has an idea, I'm accepting tips

Fortunately, the code is well-commented. 14 of the 20 source files are simply tables of real numbers that would likely require very little alteration to be compiled for the 50g.

However, even if you're already familiar with System RPL and Saturn Assembly programming for the 48/49/50 systems, this would still be a significant undertaking. There's roughly 11000 lines of code (mostly Saturn) that would still need to be scanned for issues such as entry point discrepancies, unsupported firmware code that is now either nonexistent or has moved to a different location, hardware-specific code for different display sizes, etc. By most measures, that is non-trivial.

Then there's also the issue brought up by Roberto Perez-Franco indicating that there is a bug in the program's specific volume computation which sometimes causes the results to be off by as much as 5% of the actual value (see the readme.txt file in the thrmfixv code in the source zip). He provides a work-around, and you would probably want to incorporate that as well.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue this. Rather, I'm trying to give you an idea of what you may be up against in porting the code to the 50g. You may find it easier to simply create an alternate version that provides the needed results, or perhaps even better just purchase a used 48GX to install the existing program(s) on.
08-17-2022, 07:47 PM
Hello!

(08-17-2022 12:07 PM)trapp Wrote:  ...now I have to learn to port to the hp 50g, in case anyone has an idea, I'm accepting tips

Is that even worth it? Would it not be easier (and a lot more useful for your studies) to program the equations you need yourself?

Maybe things have changed during the last decades, but when I was studying (aerospace engineering which is very thermodynamics-heavy) the numeric results that a pre-programmed calculator could produce were of no interest to anybody. You had to show that you understand the basics, knew which equations to use for your problem and apply the accordingly. If you were able to produce (correct) numbers that was an added bonus but not essential.

Regards
Max
08-17-2022, 10:28 PM
really you are correct my friend Maximilian Hohmann, in this case I would use it more to check the results obtained, as a way to maximize my time during the tests, here at my university they are quite extensive.

Thanks
08-31-2022, 07:42 AM
The Thermopro by Rick Grevelle and Jeoff Krontz contains beautiful code and since it appears that they granted that it could be ported to HP50G, I have done that and have now a working copy running on HP50G.

It really is a library with the best and consistent layout of code in the old format I have seen.
Not sure why almost all of it is in asm. Maybe that was the only option when the code originally was written for 48sx, or simply because he could?

The keyboard handler / mapping is different from hp48g to HP50G so there are some small changes for the keys, but I believe all functionality is kept.

Comparing the calculations with emu48 I get identical results. I have not had any crashes when playing with it, but there are some issues, and appreciate if anyone can help.

Unfortunately it uses a few nonstandard names and unsupported entries.
=TIMERCTRL.1 EQU #0012E * --> changed to similar ones in 50G entry table
=TIMERCTRL.2 EQU #0012F * --> changed to similar ones in 50G entry table
=CLEANUP EQU #2A12A * Heiskan <-- CKINF
=WrtTIMEOUTA EQU #01A96 * ???
=CMPT EQU #0148C * ???

2A12A CKINF ( --> )
If XM is clr, RTN.
Else if P#3, undefined result error.
Else if infinate not allowed then infinate result err.
Else set infinate res. indicator, set x to max

I could not find any equivalent entry for the HP50G, but it seems to be used to override error reporting of floating point division in the asm-code. I think that is obsolete with the HP50G, as it can be controlled by use of flags. For a test version I have commented out (but require the relevant system flags to be set).

=CMPT EQU #0148C *
I have simplified to RTNSXM, but am not sure what to do with this. It will not cause a crash, but perhaps handling of overflow/underflow/division by Zero is not correct. Related to the CKINF entry. Maybe obsolete.

=WrtTIMEOUTA EQU #01A96 *
Using same address. I seems to work , but I have no idea if this is safe / potentially dangerous.

Does anyone have information on these three entry points?
See the original source at hpcalc.oorg.
https://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/science/phys...thermo.zip

Further
The source code seems to be an evaluation or test version, maybe that is the reason for the "bug" that was mentioned earlier. The zip file contains an old user-guide in word-97. It probably contains description of what the limitations are. But I am not able to open the old word-97 files. Appreciate if anyone could convert those to pdf.

Let me know if you are interested in testing this library. My intention is to upload this to hpcalc.org after some more testing.

BR Gjermund
08-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Here is the manual4 file converted to pdf. The four manual files seem to be successive versions containing the same information, gradually improving with time. The file pictures.doc contains some of the images used in the manual files.

If you have Word you too can load these files, but you need to change the Word Trust Centre file block settings (Files -> options -> Trust centre -> Trust centre settings -> file block), and change them back again afterwards. The file format is old and potentially unsafe.

Nigel (UK)

Attached File(s)
.pdf  manual4.pdf (Size: 161.72 KB / Downloads: 27)
08-31-2022, 10:18 AM
Hi Nigel, thanks for the pdf-copy.
I missed the option to use flag 34 for direct calculations and units, but it does work in the GUI.
That will also give me some more (sensible) test examples. (I've never used thermo-tables in my line of work.)
BR Gjermund

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)