slowdown in the execution speed
08-23-2022, 05:50 PM
slowdown in the execution speed
Good morning,

After restoring a backup, I happen to use a program with my HP PRIME calculator, and the program runs quickly in 5 seconds. However, if I open "Matrix" (shift - key 4) and after using the same program as before, the execution of the program slows down from 5 to 21 seconds.

Has anyone from the Forum perceived this slowdown in the execution speed of a program?

Best regards, Roberto
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2022, 04:22 PM
RE: slowdown in the execution speed
One of my programs does that on G2 hardware after running it a few times, and the speed changes a lot during the execution.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2022, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 08:54 AM by ramon_ea1gth.)
I've noticed this also in the physical Prime G2 when using several times the Function app to plot a set of ten simultaneous graphs that require a certain computing load. After repeating the plotting several times (by changing from symbolic to plot view with the keys), there is a point when the graphing operation goes much slower, as if something filled the memory and the OS were struggling with it.

Said this, the plotting speed in the Prime G2 is amazing when compared to the same task in the HP 50g, that really needs more patience and some optimisation of the equations to be plotted.

[Edit]
Hint: to be accurate, the used app for graphing was the Parametric plot app, as shown in the test example Smith Chart, available in my next post.

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
08-29-2022, 09:59 AM
(08-28-2022 08:30 PM)ramon_ea1gth Wrote:  I've noticed this also in the physical Prime G2 when using several times the Function app to plot a set of ten simultaneous graphs that require a certain computing load. After repeating the plotting several times (by changing from symbolic to plot view with the keys), there is a point when the graphing operation goes much slower, as if something filled the memory and the OS were struggling with it.

Said this, the plotting speed in the Prime G2 is amazing when compared to the same task in the HP 50g, that really needs more patience and some optimisation of the equations to be plotted.

Hello, we hope that the new firmware solves this problem. Sincerely, robmio (Roberto Mioni)
08-29-2022, 01:03 PM
(08-29-2022 09:59 AM)robmio Wrote:  Hello, we hope that the new firmware solves this problem. Sincerely, robmio (Roberto Mioni)
Thanks! If it's not a secret, was it a garbage collection issue by any chance (if the firmware has any)?
08-31-2022, 02:15 AM
(08-28-2022 08:30 PM)ramon_ea1gth Wrote:  I’ve noticed this also in the physical Prime G2 when using several times the Function app to plot a set of ten simultaneous graphs that require a certain computing load. After repeating the plotting several times (by changing from symbolic to plot view with the keys), there is a point when the graphing operation goes much slower, as if something filled the memory and the OS were struggling with it.

Is is convenient / appropriate for you to share the set of ten functions you are plotting? When I implemented the function plotting for the Function app, it was designed with the 39gII in mind (that code was later carried over to the Prime) and with the intent of keeping memory use to a minimum. (The Function app doesn’t use offscreen buffers much in its Plot view; things like the signed area display, marching ants crosshairs, and the tangent line are all done with parameterized colour permutations so that they can be undone without using memory for “what’s beneath”; horizontal panning is done through moving pixels, where possible, rather than resampling and redrawing line segments. The Advanced Graphing app’s Plot view, on the other hand, does use offscreen buffers.) I’ve been wanting to rework the plotting code (for the Function app and the other apps that have this common base code) and having example “tough” cases could be nice.
08-31-2022, 11:04 AM
(08-31-2022 02:15 AM)jte Wrote:  Is is convenient / appropriate for you to share the set of ten functions you are plotting?
Sure! It is not an extremely "tough" case, but it really makes a difference between using a calculator from the 2000's and the HP Prime. I enclose the application that creates the set of equations to draw a Smith Chart. The app is a proof of concept to explain these graphs in RF engineering lessons (in fact, using RE() and IM() in the equations is more effective, but that's out of the scope of this thread).

The app can create three sets of 10 parametric expressions to test the graphing performance. Each set can be chosen with the View button. A default set is created when starting the app.
To reproduce the sporadic decrease in the graphing speed:
1) start the app,
2) check the equations are available at Symb view,
3) plot them,
4) repeat steps 2) and 3) several times

Me, after about 16 repetitions of steps 2)-3) in the HP Prime G2, the graphing speed started to decrease.

There are also 3 available sets of equations that can be played with, available with the View button:
1) Chart
2) ChartEXP
3) ChartIFTE

Equation set 1) is the default and requires computing more points than set 2). It is possible to switch between sets with the View button and check the effects in the plotting speed.

Keep on working with the HP Prime! I expect to use it in this new course to support some explanations in telecomm. engineering lessons.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Generate Smith.hpappdir.zip (Size: 5.58 KB / Downloads: 5)

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)