I'm having Prime Confusion Overload
12-26-2023, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2023 04:06 PM by MikeSD.)
I'm having Prime Confusion Overload
I'm trying to buy a Prime G2. But I'm seeing so much contradictory information, I don't know what to believe.

Note: I know the difference, if I had one in front of me. But buying online, one has to trust the source, advertizing, and comments.

Amazon has one listed but doesn't specifically say it's a G2.

In the description it says 2AP18AA#ABA and someone on this forum says that's the right number for G2. But the description says it has 256MB flash. G2 has 512MB.

Plus in the details it has 2AP18AA#1BS which is international. Also in details it says HPPRIMEINT, which implies international.

The key colors look like the G1. HP dot com says the price is well over $200 for the G2.

Finally, all the comments on Amazon say it's a G2.

What do you think? G1 or G2?

Anyone have a trustworthy source, that one can order from and get a G2?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2023, 05:13 PM
RE: I'm having Prime Confusion Overload
Even here in Germany Dynatech once had an incorrect description in the details.
Advertized as G2, the specs were copied from the older "G1" advertisements.

Since they offered direct buying with free return from their website, I ordered one.
Luckily, it is a G2:-)

Actually there are some details from which you can derive which version you have.
The most prominent on a sealed unit is the serial number,
which starts from a specific range (9CJ...).
Then you have the model number: RMN-HSTNJ-BC02 .

Both indicators should be visible from the outside of a sealed package.

If you have a unit in your hands, just turn it so you see the back side.
Below the HP logo, left to the model number, which itself is another indicator,
you'll see G2 in a circle.

These and other indicators were published here and elsewhere.

-- Ray
12-26-2023, 05:19 PM
(12-26-2023 05:13 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  Actually there are some details from which you can derive which version you have.
The most prominent on a sealed unit is the serial number,
which starts from a specific range (9CJ...).
Then you have the model number: RMN-HSTNJ-BC02 .

Both indicators should be visible from the outside of a sealed package.

If you have a unit in your hands, just turn it so you see the back side.
Below the HP logo, left to the model number, which itself is another indicator,
you'll see G2 in a circle.

These and other indicators were published here and elsewhere.
Like I said I already know how to tell if I had one.

I'm trying to avoid ordering one and having the wrvong one arrive a ND having to return it.
12-26-2023, 05:44 PM
(12-26-2023 03:54 PM)MikeSD Wrote:  Amazon has one listed but doesn't specifically say it's a G2.

Follow amazon's link, Looking for specific info? box, enter "g2"
All responses confirmed g2
12-26-2023, 06:26 PM
(12-26-2023 05:19 PM)MikeSD Wrote:  [..] I'm trying to avoid ordering one and having the wrvong one arrive a ND having to return it.
I had the same problem, also unsure if the seller would send a G2 or old-stock G1 to me,
but at one point, I decided to give it a try. Actually it was a no-risk deal. And it was a G2.

Or you try to buy one from a private sale, where the seller answers to specific questions beforehand.

-- Ray
12-26-2023, 06:50 PM
Hey Mike,
I think it's you who asked the same question on Amazon product page. I just answered your question with a video on Amazon. That product is definitely a G2, I bought 2 of them from that same page, one 3 years ago, and the last one laat year.
12-26-2023, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 01:01 AM by trojdor.)
Like Rigel stated above, I have also purchased two Primes from that exact link you posted...one in 2019 and another 2020. Both were G2 models, and both still work great.

Additionally, I think you may have answered your own question when you stated that all the Amazon comments said it was a G2.

ENTER > =
12-27-2023, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 04:19 AM by MikeSD.)
(12-26-2023 11:42 PM)trojdor Wrote:  Like Rigel stated above, I have also purchased two Primes from that exact link you posted...one in 2019 and another 2020. Both were G2 models, and both still work great.

Additionally, I think you may have answered your own question when you stated that all the Amazon comments said it was a G2.

The reason I asked is ithe description said it had a 256MB "Flash" memory. The G2 has 512MB Flash.

Quote: Enjoy a feature-rich calculating experience with familiar HP alphanumeric keypad and a large 3.5-inch diagonal, multi-touch display. Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, 256 MB flash memory.

And the blue keys look like the G1 not the higher contrast of the G2. And Amazon answers can't always be trusted. Often they merge comments from totally different products or listings. I have literally purchased thousands of products from Amazon. Listings are often wrong.

But thanks for the confirmation.
12-28-2023, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 12:31 AM by trojdor.)
(12-27-2023 04:17 AM)MikeSD Wrote:  The reason I asked is ithe description said it had a 256MB "Flash" memory. The G2 has 512MB Flash.

Quote: Enjoy a feature-rich calculating experience with familiar HP alphanumeric keypad and a large 3.5-inch diagonal, multi-touch display. Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, 256 MB flash memory.

And the blue keys look like the G1 not the higher contrast of the G2. And Amazon answers can't always be trusted. Often they merge comments from totally different products or listings. I have literally purchased thousands of products from Amazon. Listings are often wrong.

But thanks for the confirmation.

I hear you.
I suspect we've all purchased thousands of products from Amazon.
In my experience, I've found that you can trust the customer answers far, far more than you can trust the Amazon description.

For instance, I just treated myself to a nice mechanical/automatic watch from Amazon, where the description clearly states that it "uses 1 lithium battery".
Automatic/mechanical watches, of course, use no batteries of any kind, LOL!

I guess you have to decide whether to trust the dozens of actual purchasers who unanimously state that it's a G2, or to trust the copy/paste description entered by an Amazon intern who may not know the difference between an HP calculator, and a lawnmower.

And don't get me started on their inaccurate Prime video episode descriptions, or their pitiful answers to why you can't watch Prime videos in HD on Linux.
I'm (almost) at the point were I believe a person has to actually fail an IQ test to work some Amazon positions... Wink

ENTER > =
12-28-2023, 09:12 AM
(12-28-2023 12:25 AM)trojdor Wrote:  I'm (almost) at the point were I believe a person has to actually fail an IQ test to work some Amazon positions... Wink
I don't know how it works on your side of the pond, but here in Europe, we integrate and encourages the not so gifted persons in our working society. It's a matter of dignity. Just sayin'

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-28-2023, 01:14 PM
This is not the place for cultural comparisons and comments, you have Facebook for that, please refrain from such discussions here, as such generalizations inevitably lead to hurt feelings and escalation.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)