HP 15C - Keyboard Quality
09-03-2022, 09:30 AM
HP 15C - Keyboard Quality
Hi all,

I have no previous experience with the HP 15C model but recently decided to purchase one.

The unit I purchased via Ebay appears to be in excellent condition with seemingly little prior use. However, the keys have a strange feel (to me anyway) with little travel and a lack of positive feedback, this is particularly the case with the ENTER key.

This calculator was made in Brazil with serial no. 2351B89073.

I am wondering if my above impression of the keyboard is typical of the HP 15C or something related it to it being manufactured in Brazil?

Thanks,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2022, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2022 09:02 PM by johnb.)
RE: HP 15C - Keyboard Quality
Definitely not common to all HP-15c's.
Mine was built in the US in 1987 and has that distinctively clicky HP feel.

I've never seen a Brazillian-built model, so we'll have to wait for feedback from someone who has one.

My HP-11c has a somewhat mushy Enter key, but I attribute that to wear in the dome underneath, because it is by far the most-used key.

I have seen a couple of Pioneer series that went "mush" instead of "click", and both were the result of goop in the keyboard. One had an entire can of Cola spilled in it and then had been left to sit until it dried! I bought that one VERY cheap (as "non-working") and revived it by removing the batteries and cycling it back and forth between an ultrasonic bath in distilled water and a warm oven at 150°F. A full Saturday of that (with LOTS of gentle tapping in between) and it clicked like almost-new!

Lots of folks here have MUCH more experience than I do in reviving old HPs and may be able to advise you further.

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
09-07-2022, 09:35 AM
RE: HP 15C - Keyboard Quality
Hi johnb,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with the HP 15C & 11C.

As my calculator looks like it has barely been used, I don't think the domes under the keys would have collapsed. However, your comment about goop in the keyboard may explain the way it feels. Not sure I want to immerse the calculator in a distilled water bath just yet, but will keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)