HP Prime updates?
09-07-2022, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2022 07:01 AM by StephanP.)
HP Prime updates?
@KlaasKuperus,
<snip>
A lot of frustration removed here
</snip>

When can we expect one or more of the following signs of life:
- a new release of the Virtual Calculator consistent across Windows, MacOS (and Linux?) platforms?
- a new release of the Connectivity Kit consistent across Windows, MacOS (and Linux?) platforms?
- a new release of the HP Prime apps on Android and iOS?
- a new release of the HP Prime app on Microsoft Store or withdrawal from it in order to stop confusion?
- a new release of the HP Prime firmware?

<snip>
More frustration removed
</snip>
Please give me a sign of life.

Regards,
Stephan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2022, 03:00 PM
RE: HP Prime updates?
I'm also eager to see what the first updates from Royal will be like. But as has been pointed out by others, those who know these dates are usually not permitted to say what they are. We'll all have to just be patient. It's been only 8 months since the most recent firmware, which for a product that's been around as long as the Prime has, that's really not that long.

I am encouraged though by the amount of activity on the Prime Bug Tracking site. They can't be doing all that work for nothing.
09-07-2022, 03:28 PM
(09-07-2022 03:00 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  I am encouraged though by the amount of activity on the Prime Bug Tracking site. They can't be doing all that work for nothing.

There's the option of a beta release. It doesn't have to be perfect on the first try.
09-07-2022, 08:56 PM
Klaas will be speaking (remotely) at HHC coming up this weekend in Nashville, if you attended, you could ask directly! As a convenience for you (and several hundred other readers here) I'll ask for you. Smile

Which of course does not mean we'll get as precise an answer as most folks would like, but I'm confident it will be more precise than no answer at all.

--Bob Prosperi
09-08-2022, 02:12 PM
(09-07-2022 08:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Klaas will be speaking (remotely) at HHC coming up this weekend in Nashville, if you attended, you could ask directly! As a convenience for you (and several hundred other readers here) I'll ask for you. Smile

Which of course does not mean we'll get as precise an answer as most folks would like, but I'm confident it will be more precise than no answer at all.
Where can I find more details about this meeting? I thought the hpcc was being hosted in London?

On the topic of updates, I feel a bit mislead by Royal. The last post I read from them made it seem like an update would come in just a few months. It's quite a stretch to call 8 months 'soon'.

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2022, 03:15 PM
(09-08-2022 02:12 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  Where can I find more details about this meeting? I thought the hpcc was being hosted in London?

On the topic of updates, I feel a bit mislead by Royal. The last post I read from them made it seem like an update would come in just a few months. It's quite a stretch to call 8 months 'soon'.

https://hhuc.us/2022/
09-08-2022, 04:20 PM
(09-08-2022 02:12 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  On the topic of updates, I feel a bit mislead by Royal. The last post I read from them made it seem like an update would come in just a few months. It's quite a stretch to call 8 months 'soon'.

Obviously, you don't work with many software developers.
8^)
09-09-2022, 04:33 AM
(09-08-2022 04:20 PM)KeithB Wrote:  
(09-08-2022 02:12 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  On the topic of updates, I feel a bit mislead by Royal. The last post I read from them made it seem like an update would come in just a few months. It's quite a stretch to call 8 months 'soon'.

Obviously, you don't work with many software developers.
8^)

The only thing that makes one more uneasy than a reply of "soon" when asking for a software delivery date, is when one gets the answer "real soon now", which means you're speaking with a seasoned veteran, who most likely has been lying about software delivery dates since the 70's - 80's.

--Bob Prosperi
09-09-2022, 08:15 AM
For me, the phrase "Real soon now" comes from Jerry Pournelle, writing in the column Chaos Manor, in Byte Magazine.
09-09-2022, 11:55 AM
(09-09-2022 08:15 AM)ctrclckws Wrote:  For me, the phrase "Real soon now" comes from Jerry Pournelle, writing in the column Chaos Manor, in Byte Magazine.

Wiktionary agrees with you, and adds, "See also: Don't hold your breath." Big Grin

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-09-2022, 12:44 PM
Exactly correct. It was so common, the reply RSN came to be used daily in many tech companies, including senior management meetings as slang for, essentially, I don't know when.

--Bob Prosperi
09-12-2022, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2022 08:45 AM by redglyph.)
(09-07-2022 05:15 AM)StephanP Wrote:  @KlaasKuperus,
<snip>
</snip>

- a new release of the Virtual Calculator consistent across Windows, MacOS (and Linux?) platforms?
- a new release of the Connectivity Kit consistent across Windows, MacOS (and Linux?) platforms?
- a new release of the HP Prime app on Microsoft Store or withdrawal from it in order to stop confusion?

<snip>
More frustration removed
</snip>

Regards,
Stephan

You may want to contact Moravia directly, preferably by email. It's true that they occasionally visit these forums but I wouldn't count on a prompt answer (last time I quoted them was one month ago and still no reply). Besides, I don't think the @<name> gives any notification in these old forums, I'm not even sure quoting someone does.

They mentioned by email that they were interested in users' feedback, so if you have any that's a good opportunity.
09-13-2022, 01:45 PM
(09-07-2022 08:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Klaas will be speaking (remotely) at HHC coming up this weekend in Nashville, if you attended, you could ask directly! As a convenience for you (and several hundred other readers here) I'll ask for you. Smile
Hi,
Do you have any fresh information to share?
09-14-2022, 06:28 PM
(09-07-2022 05:15 AM)StephanP Wrote:  @KlaasKuperus,
<snip>
</snip>

<snip>
More frustration removed
</snip>

Regards,
Stephan

Hi Stephan!

Indeed, adding a @KlaasKuperus doesn't work here, unfortunately. So I just saw your post. I'm sorry, but my workload doesn't allow me to visit here daily as I would love to. I do my best to answer as soon as I can. Please feel free to mail me though at klaas.kuperus@moravia-consulting.com and I will reply asap! Smile

On the points you've mentioned, we are indeed working very hard on getting these done very soon. It's proven to be more challenging than we though, but we're absolutely not forgetting about it and working hard in the background.

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
09-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Klass Kuperus gave an excellent presentation at HHC in Nashville, and will be presenting again in London at HPCC's 40th Anniversary Conference on 22-23 October.

The video of Moravia's HHC presentation by Klass will be available on YouTube after the London meeting.

That said, I can summarize Klass' comments on the status of Prime updates as follows:

Moravia’s Prime team has been working hard on Prime and ConnKit updates for the past year, including efforts from Tim, Cyrille, Jeff and others, as well as migrating from HP’s to Moravia’s servers, focusing on stability, consistency across platforms, Python and reported bugs, mostly in that priority order, and expects to have initial releases of updates for Prime s/w and ConnKit s/w in a number of weeks (not months) this fall.”

In addition, I will also add that Klass' presentation was clear, candid and extremely encouraging to all attendees, and even though we've not seen much concrete progress to date from the Moravia team due to the non-trivial transition, there indeed has been much going on behind the scenes and there's much more good news to come.

I'll leave the details for when you can see the video next month, but in the meantime I'll add that early news like this is only one good reason to attend HHC. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
09-14-2022, 11:01 PM
Thank you for the update rprosperi. I learned of HHC a bit too late to make plans to attend this year, hopefully next year! I'm really looking forward to seeing what Moravia has in store.

Cemetech | YouTube
09-15-2022, 01:26 PM
(09-14-2022 06:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  <snip>
Moravia’s Prime team has been working hard on Prime and ConnKit updates for the past year, including efforts from Tim, Cyrille, Jeff and others, as well as migrating from HP’s to Moravia’s servers, focusing on stability, consistency across platforms, Python and reported bugs, mostly in that priority order, and expects to have initial releases of updates for Prime s/w and ConnKit s/w in a number of weeks (not months) this fall.”

In addition, I will also add that Klass' presentation was clear, candid and extremely encouraging to all attendees, and even though we've not seen much concrete progress to date from the Moravia team due to the non-trivial transition, there indeed has been much going on behind the scenes and there's much more good news to come.
</snip>

Great! This is precisely what I expected. Sometimes a little patience pays off...now let's just hope they've made some good firmware.
09-17-2022, 07:08 PM
(09-14-2022 06:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Klass Kuperus gave an excellent presentation at HHC in Nashville, and will be presenting again in London at HPCC's 40th Anniversary Conference on 22-23 October.

The video of Moravia's HHC presentation by Klass will be available on YouTube after the London meeting.

That said, I can summarize Klass' comments on the status of Prime updates as follows:

I'll leave the details for when you can see the video next month, but in the meantime I'll add that early news like this is only one good reason to attend HHC. Smile

It certainly overjoys me to hear that the Prime is, indeed, not dead (or even close)! After the pandemic, HP layoffs, Moravia transfer, and the sheer amount of time since the last update, I was feeling rather pessimistic about the development progress. Glad to know that we will be getting an update before the end of the year Big Grin
09-23-2022, 01:54 AM
(09-07-2022 03:00 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
I am encouraged though by the amount of activity on the Prime Bug Tracking site.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Wes! One of the things I was occupied with this summer (which wouldn’t show up in the bug tracker) was developing a nand diagnostic tool.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)