[VA] 3rd Anniversary of my HP site
10-10-2022, 11:05 PM
[VA] 3rd Anniversary of my HP site

Hi, all:

Last Sept, 20 was the 3rd Anniversary of my HP site, which I announced here on Sep,20 2019:  Good News, Everyone: Announcing my brand-new HP-related site !

My as-plain-as-it-gets site started by offering to those interested no less than 324 files (all of them PDF or JPG) for no-ads, no-annoyances free view and download, including my 32 up-to-then published HP Articles, 10 HP Programs and 23 HP Pictures, among many other goodies.

Right now, three years later, it's had about 44,400 (up from 25,300 last year) visitors and 121,600 (75,800) downloads, for which I'm very grateful (and which of course didn't make me or Eric Rechlin a single cent,) and after 39 (28) Updates there are now 1,110 (646) files available and thousands of pages.

Matter of fact, the very recent Update #39 added more than 300 pages (~139 MB) to the site. Now, my main goal for the rest of this year is to complete my Project HAM (currently 96.38% completed,) with the generous and disinterested help from Eric Rechlin, to whom I'm deeply indebted,

Thanks a lot to those of you who visited, downloaded, commented and in general showed some interest in my efforts and took the trouble to let me know, much appreciated.

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2022, 07:40 AM
RE: [VA] 3rd Anniversary of my HP site
A splendid resource - thanks again, Valentín!

I'm enjoying Once Upon a Pocket, which I might or might not have read before - I have reached the stage of not being sure about such things.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2022, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 10:53 AM by pier4r.)
Thank you* for all your efforts that at times may be not immeditely appreciated! I know that if something is of quality and reachable on the internet (better: by search engines), sooner or later it gets discovered by those that care.

* where you also means (at large): Valentin, Eric and all those people that really put effort in valuable contributions in the public domain. I don't want to forget anyone if possible.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
10-12-2022, 02:33 PM
Valentin,

Thank you for reminding us about your web page. I have enjoyed your articles and posts for many years and have bookmarked the site!

Kind regards,

Jeff Kearns
10-12-2022, 11:01 PM
Hi, EdS2, pier4r and Jeff Kearns,

EdS2 Wrote:A splendid resource - thanks again, Valentín!

You're welcome, EdS2, and thanks to you for your continued interest in my productions, kind words and, last but not least, for creating this appreciation thread, for which I'm really indebted to you.

EdS2 Wrote:I'm enjoying Once Upon a Pocket [...]

Great ! If you liked that one you might also enjoy this one: The Story of PPC, by one of the former's authors.

pier4r Wrote:Thank you* for all your efforts that at times may be not immeditely appreciated! I know that if something is of quality and reachable on the internet (better: by search engines), sooner or later it gets discovered by those that care.

Thanks for your appreciation, pier4r, also continued in time. Let's hope that your insight comes true, but I fear that, though my materials are on-line, there's just so many HP-calc-related materials already available on the internet (surely Terabytes: the various USB pendrives by Jake, Eric and others, plus torrents by you and others, plus a myriad websites full of items) that finding my 1.5 Gb is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Jeff_Kearns Wrote:Thank you for reminding us about your web page. I have enjoyed your articles and posts for many years and have bookmarked the site! Kind regards,

Thank you very much, Jeff, feedback from people who enjoy my productions and, like you just did, take the time to let me know, really means a lot to me and encourages me to produce and share new and old materials continuedly (anagram of "unnoticedly", LOL ! Smile )

Best regards to all of you.
V.

10-13-2022, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2022 06:03 PM by pier4r.)
(10-12-2022 11:01 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Let's hope that your insight comes true, but I fear that, though my materials are on-line, there's just so many HP-calc-related materials already available on the internet (surely Terabytes: the various USB pendrives by Jake, Eric and others, plus torrents by you and others, plus a myriad websites full of items) that finding my 1.5 Gb is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

If I am not wrong, having the USB from the museum, the one from http://www.pahhc.org/ppccdrom.htm , several torrents and my collection, we are all well under 100 GB (if one excludes the video presentations from the HHC. Thank you Eric!)

Further if the content is reachable and readable by engines (namely: pdf are freely available and there is no login wall), first comes before torrents and usb material, because those aren't reachable. Thus the competition goes down to maybe 10 gigabyte.

Second if the content is parseable, then the quality will surface. There are plenty of websites dedicated to HP and others calculators (also mechanical), despite me trying to making a list here (additions and help are welcome! And I see I can add something that is mentioned in this very thread), I am far from knowing them all (or their content) and sometimes I am amazed that I find some sites through search engines while not searching specifically for "calculator" things.

For example I remember in the past I was trying to search something related to early computers, and I landed on the hp35 website. This because the "cordic" approach was not used only on the hp35.

Thus I am positive that for those curious about such things, they will find your content too.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
10-13-2022, 06:26 PM
There's a lot of cool stuff there that I've enjoyed reading over the years. I'm grateful that it's been archived rather than lost to the ages.

Am I remembering correctly that there was a backlog of some additional Sharp programs/materials still waiting? Not sure if that was something that got uploaded already and I just missed it. My newly-restored CE-122 printer for my PC-1211 could use a bit more to chew on. Smile
10-13-2022, 10:07 PM
(10-13-2022 06:26 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  There's a lot of cool stuff there that I've enjoyed reading over the years. I'm grateful that it's been archived rather than lost to the ages.

Thanks for your interest, it's an enormous amount of job to scan, process and upload these materials but I couldn't stand the idea of they getting lost forever if I could help it, and with Eric Rechlin's invaluable help it seems their chances at preservation are improving.

Quote:Am I remembering correctly that there was a backlog of some additional Sharp programs/materials still waiting? Not sure if that was something that got uploaded already and I just missed it. My newly-restored CE-122 printer for my PC-1211 could use a bit more to chew on. Smile

You're remembering correctly, a batch of some 64 programs I wrote circa 1980 for the groundbreaking SHARP PC-1211 aka TRS-80 PC-1 is awaiting its turn. I've scanned all the listings and edited them manually for missing/faded/blurry/ambiguous characters, and I'm right now documenting them a little (including some sample runs when possible) by keying them in into a defective but workable unit (leaked display). This will take several months.

When everything's done I'll upload them to Eric's for further processing & OCR'ing, PDF creation and finally making them available at my site.

Best regards.
V.

10-13-2022, 10:10 PM
(10-13-2022 06:00 PM)pier4r Wrote:  [...]Thus I am positive that for those curious about such things, they will find your content too.

Let's hope so. Thanks for your uplifting words and best regards.
V.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)