Competition to TI’s 30X Pro MathPrint
11-08-2022, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2022 09:52 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
Competition to TI’s 30X Pro MathPrint
Hi all.

That 30X Pro and its manual sure look tempting. Even with its $40 sticker price, I'm tempted.

I'm even tempted because of its looks alone. I'll admit. At times, I'm tempered to, on an impulse, just hitting the Buy Now button. Before I do that, between the 36X Pro, Sharp EL-W516T, Casio fx-991ES Plus, fx-991EX Classwiz, fx-115ES Plus, which are comparable or superior to the 30X Pro MathPrint?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2022, 09:42 AM
RE: Competition to TI’s 30X Pro MathPrint
(11-08-2022 09:51 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

That 30X Pro and its manual sure look tempting. Even with its $40 sticker price, I'm tempted.

I'm even tempted because of its looks alone. I'll admit. At times, I'm tempered to, on an impulse, just hitting the Buy Now button. Before I do that, between the 36X Pro, Sharp EL-W516T, Casio fx-991ES Plus, fx-991EX Classwiz, fx-115ES Plus, which are comparable or superior to the 30X Pro MathPrint?

Thanks.

I have TI30XPro MathPrint and CASIO fx-991CEX/EX. My opinion:
- TI has no MODEs, means you can use any data in any calculation, on CASIO you can't.
- TI keeps memory and history if turned OFF, CASIO can't.
- TI has real user defined functions f and g and you can use it without limits, CASIO hasn't, you can use it only in TABLE mode on CASIO
- TI can calculate with f and g in any calculation and you can construct structures like g(f(x)), CASIO do not access to f and g, it is just a label in the top of your TABLE, nothing else
- TI can calculate SUM(), d/dx(), integrate() with f and g, CASIO do not
- TI can solve more complex equations, like f(x)=your function, g(x)=d/dx(f(x),x), then you can construct second derivative and you can solve it numerically for finding inflections, eg.: (g(x+d)-g(x-d))/(2d)=0 and SOLVE
- You can do it with all complex number functions also
- I guess with all other functions, eg. base calculations, on CASIO you can't
- List based data editor on TI with user definable functions (L1, L2, L3) including any math function of the calculator (eg. L1 is frequency, L2 is magnitude, L3 is phase of your f(x), where f(x) is a complex argument frequency response function) which kept in memory until delete instead of spreadsheet of CASIO with limited capability of access to calculator functions which delete if you press ON or calculator turned OFF

If you USE your calculator, I'm sure you can make your decision. If you a collector, buy which you want.

If you want a short answer: TI-30XPro MathPrint is a TI-83 with no graphics. And powerful as hell. Sadly, CASIO make toys, I can't understand this.

Cs.
11-09-2022, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2022 01:31 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
TI-30X Pro MathPrint (TI-36X Pro to those of us in the United States) has an integrated GUI and no need to go into separate modes, it's solver modes are solid, and I like the screen. A great solid buy. I have both the TI-30X Pro MathPrint and the TI-36X Pro and I prefer the keyboard of the former. Other than that, the functionality is the same.

Just to give a counterpoint, the Casio fx-991EX (Classwiz) has a QR function which will allow graphs (function and stats) to be viewed on the web or QR app, and a very simple spreadsheet application.

The Sharp EL-W516T operates similarly to the Casio fx-991/fx-115 series. Unique to the Sharp calculator series is the ability to work with pental base (base 5). The calculator also has a arithmetic drill mode.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2022, 03:29 PM
(11-09-2022 09:42 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(11-08-2022 09:51 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

Thanks.

I have TI30XPro MathPrint and CASIO fx-991CEX/EX. My opinion:
- TI has no MODEs, means you can use any data in any calculation, on CASIO you can't.
- TI keeps memory and history if turned OFF, CASIO can't.
- TI has real user defined functions f and g and you can use it without limits, CASIO hasn't, you can use it only in TABLE mode on CASIO
- TI can calculate with f and g in any calculation and you can construct structures like g(f(x)), CASIO do not access to f and g, it is just a label in the top of your TABLE, nothing else
- TI can calculate SUM(), d/dx(), integrate() with f and g, CASIO do not
- TI can solve more complex equations, like f(x)=your function, g(x)=d/dx(f(x),x), then you can construct second derivative and you can solve it numerically for finding inflections, eg.: (g(x+d)-g(x-d))/(2d)=0 and SOLVE
- You can do it with all complex number functions also
- I guess with all other functions, eg. base calculations, on CASIO you can't
- List based data editor on TI with user definable functions (L1, L2, L3) including any math function of the calculator (eg. L1 is frequency, L2 is magnitude, L3 is phase of your f(x), where f(x) is a complex argument frequency response function) which kept in memory until delete instead of spreadsheet of CASIO with limited capability of access to calculator functions which delete if you press ON or calculator turned OFF

If you USE your calculator, I'm sure you can make your decision. If you a collector, buy which you want.

If you want a short answer: TI-30XPro MathPrint is a TI-83 with no graphics. And powerful as hell. Sadly, CASIO make toys, I can't understand this.

Cs.

Good points. That UK 30X will most likely be put in my Christmas stocking. Until then, let’s say you substitute the 36X Pro instead of the 30X from the comparison you just made. How would that compare?
11-09-2022, 03:54 PM
(11-09-2022 01:23 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  TI-30X Pro MathPrint (TI-36X Pro to those of us in the United States) has an integrated GUI and no need to go into separate modes, it's solver modes are solid, and I like the screen. A great solid buy. I have both the TI-30X Pro MathPrint and the TI-36X Pro and I prefer the keyboard of the former. Other than that, the functionality is the same.

Just to give a counterpoint, the Casio fx-991EX (Classwiz) has a QR function which will allow graphs (function and stats) to be viewed on the web or QR app, and a very simple spreadsheet application.

The Sharp EL-W516T operates similarly to the Casio fx-991/fx-115 series. Unique to the Sharp calculator series is the ability to work with pental base (base 5). The calculator also has a arithmetic drill mode.
Ho does the TI-30X Pro Mathprint compare with HP-35s?
11-09-2022, 05:17 PM
The 35S is programmable. If just used as a calculator, the lack of d/dx (making for difficulty in finding extremums of functions) and lack of table make it less capable than the TI. The TI has quite a few more other math analysis functions as well. The HP is nice for solving an equation with a number of unknowns, will prompt for known values, and solve for the unknown. The HP also has a number of easily accessible conversions, and very little in the way of menus to ply through. It comes down to the intended usage. If programming is desired, the HP is easily the better choice. On another note, the TI is much more pocketable.
11-09-2022, 05:23 PM
Marco Polo wrote:
Quote:Ho does the TI-30X Pro Mathprint compare with HP-35s?

I have both. What follows is a not complete list of differences:
In functionality:
TI-30X Pro (short: TI) has matrix operations for 2- and 3-dimensional matrix operations (determinant, inverse, linear equation solution), HP 35S (short: HP) has not matrix operations but can solve linear equations as well.
TI computes derivates, HP does not.
TI computes function tables, HP does not.
TI has statistical distributions (Normal, Binomial, Poisson), HP has not. But the manual of the HP shows how to program the normal distribution.
HP is programmable, TI is not.
Memory:
HP has much more memory. So it can store much more data. HP has 26 variables A-Z and hundreds of more variables that can be adressed indirectly, TI has only 8 variables).
Range of numbers: HP has a much bigger range.
HP up to 9.9999 E499, TI up to 9.9999 E99
In user interface:
HP has RPN, TI has not.
HP has 2-line-display, TI has 4-line display which is clearer because of more pixels.
TI has an equation writer for integration, derivates or solve functionality, HP has not.
Processor:
TI is much faster than HP (integrating normal distribution from -1.96 to +1.96: TI 2 sec., HP 8 sec.)
Other:
TI has solar cells, HP has not.
In total: TI is much more easy to learn and you can use its functions very fast. But you cannot add additional functions.
HP is more difficult to learn but due to its programmability and its much bigger memory you ca add additional functions.
11-09-2022, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2022 06:39 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
Although I can enjoy all three, I’m not sure the TI-30X MathPrint/36X Pro vs HP-35S is a balanced comparison, each have their hits & misses, each are in separate classes & usages.

With the TIs, you’re dealing with textbook or single-line entry and preprogrammed functions for straightforward statement evaluation as well as statistics applications, especially that these are table based whereas the 35S handles equation entry in textbook form or as RPN entry & linear expression entry these as keystroke programmable calculators designed to operate as programmable calculators or evaluation of expressions as a linear stream and not equation entry.

Although function sets are somewhat similar, each has its own methodology, but they’re designed to achieve the same goals.

Put simply, a more applicable and level comparison should be the 30X MathPrint/36X Pro should be compared to the same type of calculators-Sharp EL-W516T, Casio 991EX Plus, et cetera whereas HP’s 35S should be compared to keystroke programmables.
11-11-2022, 01:37 AM
I really like my ti 30x Pro mathprint, I also find it easier to read the keys and printing on the housing than the Casio ( I think they cheated on the prototype pictures and used real carbon fibre and sanded to a fine flat matt before printing, but the production has a further texture to make the surface look like CF which reflects all over the place).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)