WP-34S - Cymraeg? Ond does dim w gyda tô-bach!
01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
WP-34S - Cymraeg? Ond does dim w gyda tô-bach!
I posted this to the old forum but in case nobody is reading it any more, here it is again. To translate the title: "Welsh? But there's no w with circumflex!"

At least the character set does include capital Ŷ but there is no lower-case version, and Ŵ is missing in either case. Both letters are used in Welsh, either to mark long vowels e.g. dŵr = water, or for disambiguation (gwŷn = wine, gwyn = white).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: WP-34S - Cymraeg? Ond does dim w gyda tô-bach!
We ran out of characters in the character set. Every position is used.

The 43S shouldn't have this restriction.

- Pauli
01-01-2014, 02:47 PM
(01-01-2014 12:02 PM)Curlytop Wrote:  At least the character set does include capital Ŷ but there is no lower-case version, and Ŵ is missing in either case. Both letters are used in Welsh, either to mark long vowels e.g. dŵr = water, or for disambiguation (gwŷn = wine, gwyn = white).

Hi, yours is the first language-related post about the WP 34S IIRC. Welcome! In fact, lower case ŷ is already present in WP 34S as you see on p. 146 of the printed manual. But you see there as well we were running out of pixels on this ... ummh ... particular LCD. Anyway, both Ŷ and ŷ are designed for and will be featured in 43S. I admit I didn't know anything about ŵ so far -- must have overlooked that letter; no problem to include it, however.

d:-)
01-01-2014, 06:59 PM
(01-01-2014 02:47 PM)walter b Wrote:  I admit I didn't know anything about ŵ so far -- must have overlooked that letter; no problem to include it, however.

d:-)

Diolch yn fawr (Thanks very much).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)