Upgrade of OS for Casio fx-9860 Slim
11-18-2022, 09:23 AM
Upgrade of OS for Casio fx-9860 Slim
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade a Casio fx-9860 Slim, and found the page
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...2&start=50
where there are many upgrades, including an OS 2.04 SH3 upgrade that can be modified (patched) for the Slim. Being completely new to this, not knowing what a patch is etc., I put several questions in the TI forum (last page in the thread) and received some helpful answers. The last questions, that are important to me since I do not want to ruin the calculator by making any error, still stand unanswered, however. As mentioned in the TI thread, I have patched the 2.04 bin file with the slim patch and acquired the bin file "fx9860g(sh3)2.04_to_fx9860gslim.bin” that I guess is my OS upgrade image for the Slim calculator.
I have downloaded fxRemote.exe, original 2.0.3.26 version, and the FA-124 linking software.
As I understand the procedure in the first posts in the thread, the next step is D, and then follows E, using the fxRemote program and the patched file “fx9860g(sh3)2.04_to_fx9860gslim.bin”. Is that correct?
Furthermore, when do I connect the calculator to the PC, and do I need any special USB driver? Was that included in the FA-124 linking software?
I hope there is someone who has done this before and can provide advice.

Best regards Jonas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2022, 07:41 PM
RE: Upgrade of OS for Casio fx-9860 Slim
Hello.

You shouldn't be able to ruin the calculator, since the fxRemote tool doesn't reflash the boot code.

Even if the flashed firmware doesn't start, you should still be able to invoke the boot code update screen and reinstall the latest Casio firmware.
11-18-2022, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reassuring words, I think I am ready for the “leap” then. I will get back to you with a report irrespective of the outcome.
Best regards Jonas
11-19-2022, 05:05 PM
Hello, I put the calculator in OS Error mode and connected it to the PC via the enclosed USB. The computer replied that Windows did not recognize the connected device, and the fxRemote program did not find the calculator. The FA-124 linking software did not find any calculator either. Can it be the USB driver that is missing, and where can I find it in that case? I disconnected the calculator and it works as before.
Best regards Jonas
11-20-2022, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2022 10:44 PM by dmh.)
I had to use Windows XP to successfully upgrade mine.

I had Windows XP running in VirtualBox on a Mac and USB mapped and it worked first time.

(11-19-2022 05:05 PM)Jonas Sandstedt Wrote:  Hello, I put the calculator in OS Error mode and connected it to the PC via the enclosed USB. The computer replied that Windows did not recognize the connected device, and the fxRemote program did not find the calculator. The FA-124 linking software did not find any calculator either. Can it be the USB driver that is missing, and where can I find it in that case? I disconnected the calculator and it works as before.
Best regards Jonas

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2022, 01:17 PM
(11-19-2022 05:05 PM)Jonas Sandstedt Wrote:  Hello, I put the calculator in OS Error mode and connected it to the PC via the enclosed USB. The computer replied that Windows did not recognize the connected device, and the fxRemote program did not find the calculator. The FA-124 linking software did not find any calculator either. Can it be the USB driver that is missing, and where can I find it in that case? I disconnected the calculator and it works as before.
Best regards Jonas

If you've already sucessfully used FA-124 on this computer to transfer files with the calculator, then the driver is already installed.
11-20-2022, 04:25 PM
I got a bit scared off with mine as i hear you lose the catalogue help , which seams to be unique to this model ( i am back at 1.10.0001).
11-20-2022, 06:14 PM
No, I have only downloaded and installed the FA-124 linking software, not used it for any file transfer. I tried to use the FA-124 with the calculator connected, but no calculator was found. Perhaps I should try to emulate Windows XP as suggested? Best regards Jonas
11-21-2022, 02:46 PM
Never trust a cable … I changed the USB cable provided and used another one, and now the calculator is found in the FA-124 program. However when running fxRemote, there is no result. I press “Recover flash” and choose my pathed bin file, and then there is a diagnostics output in fxRemote with the search path to the bin file and in “Image data” it says 02.01.000. It seems as if fxRemote does not connect to my calculator. I have tried to run fxRemote in a compatibility mode and I have tried all suggested types of Windows. Once, and only once, running as Windows XP, fxRemote was reading the bin file and another output was created – however the calculator was not connected and this could not be repeated. But I continue trying. Best regards Jonas
11-22-2022, 05:45 PM
Just an intermediate report without success, and not knowing what fails.
Today I ran the whole procedure from the beginning on my Windows 7 PC, and tried running fxRemote also as compatible with XP and NT, without result. Interestingly, if I run any one of the other OS upgrades available at the TI planet (for example 2.04 SH3, no calculator connected), I always get an error message "OS version at offset 0x10020 unknown" and "OS version of the selected image NOT known! Recovery is not possible!" This does not occur when I run my patched image, then only get a Diagnostics output with a time stamp, “FXCheckImage” and the location of the patched OS file on my hard drive, irrespective of if the calculator is connected or not. Any suggestions are of course welcome. The only good thing is that the calculator runs as normal, not having been corrupted in any way. Best regards Jonas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)