Photo request - 1986 or earlier Voyager showing low battery asterisk
11-20-2022, 09:42 AM
Photo request - 1986 or earlier Voyager showing low battery asterisk
If anyone has a 1986 or earlier Voyager calculator (10C, 11C, 12C, 15C, 16C) with low batteries, so that the asterisk indicator is showing in the LCD, could you please take a high-resolution photo showing the whole calculator including the LCD? Anything else in the display is probably fine, but it would be even better if it was showing the all-segments on display resulting from the ON-multiply self-test.

This is in the interest of improving the graphics in Nonpareil.

Thanks!

[If no one has a Voyager with low batteries, I suppose I can contrive to hoop up a bench power supply to one.]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2022, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2022 02:03 PM by Joe Horn.)
RE: Photo request - 1986 or earlier Voyager showing low battery asterisk
(11-20-2022 09:42 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  ... it would be even better if it was showing the all-segments on display resulting from the ON-multiply self-test.

Sad to tell, the original Voyagers' ON-multiply self test display lit up all the display segments EXCEPT the low-battery asterisk. The "g-ENTER-ON, 1" self test in the 15C LE however lights all the segments including the asterisk. Would a photo of that display be useful for you?

EDIT -- Here you can see the old self test, missing the asterisk:
[Image: 15C.jpg]

A big (10MB) scan of the 15C LE self test, including the asterisk, is HERE.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2022, 03:03 PM
Here is a picture of a 10C after the ON-multiply self test and showing the low-battery asterisk:

[Image: mini_8hMWOb-10C-ON-Multiply.jpg]
11-20-2022, 06:34 PM
Thanks Didier! That's exactly what I needed.
11-20-2022, 06:50 PM
Comparing the asterisk on my 10C with the one on 15C LE picture from bob, there seems to be a slight difference: the one on the 10C seems to be slightly tilted to the right, at a similar angle to the font for the digits, while on the 15C LE it seems to be straight.
11-21-2022, 12:40 AM
(11-20-2022 01:49 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(11-20-2022 09:42 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  ... it would be even better if it was showing the all-segments on display resulting from the ON-multiply self-test.

Sad to tell, the original Voyagers' ON-multiply self test display lit up all the display segments EXCEPT the low-battery asterisk.

I should have been more explicit; I knew that the test didn't (and can't, on the original hardware) activate the low battery indicator. I meant that if I could get a photo with low battery, AND all segments, that would be ideal.

Thanks for providing the LE image. It's interesting for comparison, though what I'm trying to reproduce is the original.
11-29-2022, 06:06 AM
Quote: This is in the interest of improving the graphics in Nonpareil.

When might Nonpareil display the low battery asterisk!? When my laptop battery gets to 20% on the plane?
11-29-2022, 09:04 PM
(11-29-2022 06:06 AM)pgyore Wrote:  
Quote: This is in the interest of improving the graphics in Nonpareil.

When might Nonpareil display the low battery asterisk!? When my laptop battery gets to 20% on the plane?

I've thought about making Nonpareil use the system battery status for that, but AFAIK there's no portable API to get that information.

I've also thought about putting in a menu command to set the battery status. Unlike the Voyager calculators, the Woodstock series actually have the microcode involved in the battery low display.

However, for now, I'm not doing either. I'm experimenting with using scalable graphics in Nonpareil, with the 12C as the first test, and wanted the scalable graphics to include the indicator, even if the simulator doesn't yet use it (and might never).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)