HP-32E Q & Q^-1 for Sharp, TI, & Casio
11-27-2022, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 02:54 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
HP-32E Q & Q^-1 for Sharp, TI, & Casio
Hi all.

As we all know, the 32 has normal & inverse normal distribution functions.

So, what are the equivalents for:
TI-36X Pro
Sharp EL-W516X & T
Casio fx-115ES Plus & 2nd Edition, fx-991ES 2nd Edition, and fx-991EX Classwiz?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2022, 06:38 AM
RE: HP-32E Q & Q^-1 for Sharp, TI, & Casio
Hi Matt!

I'm sure, you'll get a prize from Dave Hicks for the "most active non HP user on HPMuseum". No offense.

BTW it can be very helpful, if you share, how those Q and Q^-1 functions are works.

The normal distribution is implemented on CASIOs, just dig it from the deep of those stupid MODEs and menus. So, not a keypress and during "normal" calculation, it is not available. Maybe on TI. SHARP I don't know.

Manual - as usually.

Cs.
11-27-2022, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 06:50 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(11-27-2022 06:38 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Hi Matt!

I'm sure, you'll get a prize from Dave Hicks for the "most active non HP user on HPMuseum". No offense.

BTW it can be very helpful, if you share, how those Q and Q^-1 functions are works.

The normal distribution is implemented on CASIOs, just dig it from the deep of those stupid MODEs and menus. So, not a keypress and during "normal" calculation, it is not available. Maybe on TI. SHARP I don't know.

Manual - as usually.

Cs.

Before I posted this question, I took 15 minutes looking through both the 516T & X manuals.

Casio, yes. But neither Sharp’s EL-W516X or T have distribution functions. So, I’m thinking that there might be a way to implement the 32E/TI/Casio functions on Sharp models.

I just find it awkward that a calculator that is supposed to have 640 functions doesn’t have distribution functions. I would think Sharp would design calculators to compete with Casio & TI.
11-27-2022, 08:48 AM
Sharp EL-W516X has P,Q,R functions, available in STAT mode. Press [MATH], then pick one.

http://sharpcalculators.com/images/Manua...Manual.pdf, section 24
11-27-2022, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 11:51 AM by klesl.)
Sharp EL-W516T has normal probability calculations (P, Q, R as Albert mentioned above and 3 distributions (normal, binomial, poisson), paige 4 and 5
http://sharpcalculators.com/images/Manua...manual.pdf
11-27-2022, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 02:50 PM by ijabbott.)
On the TI-36X Pro, Q(x) can be done using the Normalcdf dialog with mu=0, sigma=1, LOWERbnd=x and UPPERbnd=1e99. Q⁻¹(a) can be done using the InvNormal dialog with area=1-a, mu=0, and sigma=1. (The area is set to 1-a because it uses the area to the left. (The HP-33E Inverse Normal Integral program in the Statistics Applications book uses the area to the right.) Alternatively, set area=a and negate the result.)

The calculation is done in the special dialog and cannot be done inline on the home screen. The result of the calculation can be saved to one of the eight variables for use in further calculations.

The distribution dialogs menu is reached from the home screen by pressing 2nd stat-reg/distr key sequence and selecting the DISTR tab:

1:Normalpdf
2:Normalcdf
3:invNormal
4:Binomialpdf
5:Binomialcdf
6:Poissonpdf
7:Poissoncdf

— Ian Abbott
11-27-2022, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 07:57 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(11-27-2022 02:44 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  On the TI-36X Pro, Q(x) can be done using the Normalcdf dialog with mu=0, sigma=1, LOWERbnd=x and UPPERbnd=1e99. Q⁻¹(a) can be done using the InvNormal dialog with area=1-a, mu=0, and sigma=1. (The area is set to 1-a because it uses the area to the left. (The HP-33E Inverse Normal Integral program in the Statistics Applications book uses the area to the right.) Alternatively, set area=a and negate the result.)

The calculation is done in the special dialog and cannot be done inline on the home screen. The result of the calculation can be saved to one of the eight variables for use in further calculations.

The distribution dialogs menu is reached from the home screen by pressing 2nd stat-reg/distr key sequence and selecting the DISTR tab:

1:Normalpdf
2:Normalcdf
3:invNormal
4:Binomialpdf
5:Binomialcdf
6:Poissonpdf
7:Poissoncdf

That’s it! Just what I was looking for!
P.S. Sharp uses Normal cdf.
Thanks!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)