DM-33s & 35s, anyone?
12-04-2022, 10:41 PM
DM-33s & 35s, anyone?
Hi all. Since Swiss Micro does HP better, would a revamped and bug-free 33s and 35s be of interest?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2022, 12:06 AM
RE: DM-33s & 35s, anyone?
Well in a way, they are. SwissMicros will soon be releasing the DM32. With its 4-line display, USB connectivity and other possible enhancements to its core HP 32SII functionality, it should effectively be an enhanced HP 35s.

Be sure to look at the in-depth presentation Bob Prosperi did on the DM32 this year at HHC 2022. Even if you don't have a strong interest in the HP 32SII or DM32, it is a great watch. The video is available on the hpcalc.org YouTube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4qqOmnVUs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2022, 04:44 AM
(12-05-2022 12:06 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Well in a way, they are. SwissMicros will soon be releasing the DM32. With its 4-line display, USB connectivity and other possible enhancements to its core HP 32SII functionality, it should effectively be an enhanced HP 35s.

Be sure to look at the in-depth presentation Bob Prosperi did on the DM32 this year at HHC 2022. Even if you don't have a strong interest in the HP 32SII or DM32, it is a great watch. The video is available on the hpcalc.org YouTube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4qqOmnVUs

I am in deep appreciation for both my 32S II and 35S. Even so, I would like to have a bug free and memory-expanded versions of both. Thanks. I’ve seen those ‘unboxing’ videos. Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out. I’m sure it’ll whet my appetite and amplify my anticipation.
12-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Hello!

(12-04-2022 10:41 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  ... would a revamped and bug-free 33s and 35s be of interest?

We have had endless discussions about these calculators already. The bugs are usually greatly exaggerated and can easily be avoided, almost to the point of not being worth mentioning. As for "revamping" there is one problem: These calculators were deliberately made the way they are in order to be allowed at certain exams, applicable especially in the United States. Many people probalbly chose them for that reason.

Next there is the very limited range of variables and program labels together with a 3-digit limitation for line numbers. Extending these will result in a completely different calculator, not just a "DM-35s" but rather a "DM-35XL". I think in that case it would be better to develop an entirely new calculator instead.

And then, both the HP-33s and the HP-35s were conceived as rather inexpensive units. I have several of each an did not pay more than 30 Euro a piece, even for n.i.b. ones. Due to demand from collectors, and maybe people who require them for their exams, prices have gone up, but still not up to Swiss Micros price tag level. For me, this is the killer argument. I am not willing to pay 200 Swiss Francs for a revamped 33s or 35s. If they make one for 50 CHF that has a USB connection, which is really all I am missing in these machines, I will take one. But no more than that.

Regards
Max
12-05-2022, 02:46 PM
I used an HP 33s & later a 35s to finish school back in 2006 (EE). My 33s died back around 2008 and my 35s died back around 2017-2018. I bought my first Swiss Micros calc then and have bought several others. I now own (3) DM42 and (1) DM15. While I loved using my HPs in college as a working engineer for the past decade+ I would never go back to the 33s or 35s. The DM42 is simply perfect for me as an EE. Okay, fine... not saying I wouldn't buy a DM35s Wink but the DM42 is a beast and I carry a primary and backup daily for work.
12-05-2022, 07:43 PM
(12-05-2022 02:46 PM)jgharris Wrote:  I used an HP 33s & later a 35s to finish school back in 2006 (EE). My 33s died back around 2008 and my 35s died back around 2017-2018. I bought my first Swiss Micros calc then and have bought several others. I now own (3) DM42 and (1) DM15. While I loved using my HPs in college as a working engineer for the past decade+ I would never go back to the 33s or 35s. The DM42 is simply perfect for me as an EE. Okay, fine... not saying I wouldn't buy a DM35s Wink but the DM42 is a beast and I carry a primary and backup daily for work.

So that I know what to look for should I need to arrange a funeral for them, what should I be on the lookout for with each model?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)