nonpareil-voyager-series (New Release for macOS)
12-06-2022, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2023 09:57 AM by Mark H. Shin.)
nonpareil-voyager-series (New Release for macOS)
Presenting the release of the HP Voyager Series of calculators for the macOS desktop...

The Voyager Series has been a passion of mine since the purchase of my first 15C in college in the early 80's.

This work builds on the work of Eric Smith and Maciej Bartosiak.

This release includes the Xcode source files and also ready built macOS Universal Binaries.

The GitHub repository is the host for the release.

Completely new and accurate Voyager LCD segments. More information on the LCD display can be found at the repository.

[Image: display-lcd.png]

Voyager Series:

10C
[Image: 10c-screen.png]
11C
[Image: 11c-screen.png]
12C
[Image: 12c-screen.png]
15C
[Image: 15c-screen.png]
16C
[Image: 16c-screen.png]

Enjoy!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2022, 12:04 PM
RE: nonpareil-voyager-series (New Release for macOS)
Outstanding!
12-06-2022, 02:15 PM
Thanks
12-06-2022, 05:17 PM
AWESOME - Many thanks

Stay healthy and keep calculating,
Jan
12-06-2022, 09:08 PM
Absolutely gorgeous. But where is the source code (required by the GPL to be made available any time there is a binary release)? The source code downloads only have the images.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2022, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2022 10:16 PM by Mark H. Shin.)
(12-06-2022 09:08 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  But where is the source code (required by the GPL to be made available any time there is a binary release)? The source code downloads only have the images.

Quite frankly, I was confused about that part of the GPL. My eyes got glazed over after the first few sentences!

Also, I wasn't quite sure if someone could simply take the source and make their own clone release to the App Store.

I was also working on a version of the 41C, which is not yet ready for release.

I wonder if there is another license (or no license) I could use, at least temporarily until I can make a final release which would include the 41C?
12-06-2022, 11:16 PM
(12-06-2022 10:08 PM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 09:08 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  But where is the source code (required by the GPL to be made available any time there is a binary release)? The source code downloads only have the images.

Quite frankly, I was confused about that part of the GPL. My eyes got glazed over after the first few sentences!

Also, I wasn't quite sure if someone could simply take the source and make their own clone release to the App Store.

I wonder if there is another license (or no license) I could use, at least temporarily until I can make a final release which would include the 41C?

You definitely need to read such licenses more closely until you thoroughly understand them. Especially those parts that limit what you can/cannot do, and what you must/must-not do with your product, given that it is based on other open-source predecessors, like nonpareil. You can't simply select a different, perhaps more restrictive model to release your product, this kind of parameter is likely established by nonpareil's license, which more than likely limits you to release your product under the same type of license, with the same freedoms and restrictions therein. I don't know what license type Eric used to release nonpareil (most likely GPL-2 or -3), but I am 100% certain it is easy to find that, and you can readily see what such limitations and freedoms are.

--Bob Prosperi
12-07-2022, 12:18 AM
(12-06-2022 11:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 10:08 PM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  Quite frankly, I was confused about that part of the GPL. My eyes got glazed over after the first few sentences!

You definitely need to read such licenses more closely until you thoroughly understand them. Especially those parts that limit what you can/cannot do, and what you must/must-not do with your product, given that it is based on other open-source predecessors, like nonpareil.
Thank you Bob for the redirect... It was never my intention to gain from this project, thus my release of the binaries for the community. Only to limit what possibly, bad actors might do for gain...

Sources will be release soon...
12-07-2022, 04:08 AM
(12-07-2022 12:18 AM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  Thank you Bob for the redirect... It was never my intention to gain from this project, thus my release of the binaries for the community. Only to limit what possibly, bad actors might do for gain...

I didn't mean to sound preachy (though re-reading it, it did...) nor to rush you, I only wanted to emphasize it here because of it's importance.

Sadly, more than one unscrupulous developer have already done just exactly what you feared (taken GPL products, including nonpareil, and slapped a skin or new feature on it and then sold it in the iStore & aStore as if it was their work) and you really can't prevent them from doing so (without spending unreasonable time and lawyer money), but don't let that deter you from contributing. These are truly beautiful, and this weekend I'm pulling out a Macbook Air I rarely admit in public that I own, just to check them out. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
12-07-2022, 04:41 AM
Very awesome! I'm looking forward to an HP-41C release.

Try CC41!
12-08-2022, 03:08 AM
Bravo, Excelent!
12-08-2022, 09:05 PM
(12-07-2022 12:18 AM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  Thank you Bob for the redirect... It was never my intention to gain from this project, thus my release of the binaries for the community. Only to limit what possibly, bad actors might do for gain...

There are a few things you should consider to rectify your unintentional error:

- Nonpareil is under GPL2, your contribution is GPL3 -> they look similar, but if you plan to release the code, the only way is to come back to v2 because of this: “Note that I am not granting permission to redistribute or modify Nonpareil under the terms of any later version of the General Public License.” Maybe Eric could tell you why he kept the v2.

- You can release your graphic work but not the compiled calculators without worrying about the code of Nonpareil, and don’t care about v2 or v3 of the GPL: just remove the binaries and keep the graphics + a manual saying how to use them with Eric’s Nonpareil.

- The easiest way to publish the source code is to create a zip with ALL the files you used and put it on github, ignoring the git functions in the repository. Don't forget to cite GPL2 in your source files. This is enough to respect the terms of the GPL2, and it lets you all the time you need to publish the code using git.

- Another collective approach: someone already published the code on github (search for Nonpareil on github), you could fork this code or officially participate, even if it is not Eric's github repository. You just have to stay with GPL2.

That was my 2 cents to help.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
12-08-2022, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2022 10:51 PM by Mark H. Shin.)
(12-08-2022 09:05 PM)pinkman Wrote:  - The easiest way to publish the source code is to create a zip with ALL the files you used and put it on github, ignoring the git functions in the repository. Don't forget to cite GPL2 in your source files. This is enough to respect the terms of the GPL2, and it lets you all the time you need to publish the code using git.

Thanks for the tips.

Changed license to GPL2.

Will be publishing source this weekend. I'll make a note on this thread when I do...
12-08-2022, 11:34 PM
These are beautiful, indeed. But, the icing on the cake was getting Bob to admit owning a Mac!!! Smile

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2022, 02:50 AM
(12-08-2022 11:34 PM)twoweims Wrote:  These are beautiful, indeed. But, the icing on the cake was getting Bob to admit owning a Mac!!! Smile

Smile

Update: Source files released!
12-09-2022, 03:09 AM
(12-08-2022 10:51 PM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  Changed license to GPL2.

Hi Mark!

For Nonpareil and Nonpareil-derived code, I'd actually prefer that you stick with GPLv3, but without the "or any later version" clause. The next release of Nonpareil will use the GPLv3 license. In addition to omitting the "or any later version", in the README, I ispecifically state "Note that I am not granting permission to redistribute or modify Nonpareil under the terms of any later version of the General Public License." However, I now DO grant permission specifically for GPLv3.

The reason for omitting the "or any later version" clause is that, while I don't have any reason to expect the Free Software Foundation to change their policies in the future, I also cannot be certain that they won't.

Best regards,
Eric
12-09-2022, 06:51 PM
(12-06-2022 11:33 AM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  Presenting the release of the HP Voyager Series of calculators for the macOS desktop...

Thank you for updating and sharing these! Nonpareil-15C has been my go-to-Calculator on the Mac for a number of years and I'm very happy to be able to use them on future Mac OS versions. I just need to remember to open HP-15 instead...

Compared to nonpareil (and imho the actual hardware) the "gold" legends and f button look quite more reddish. Was that a deliberate design decision?
12-10-2022, 07:30 PM
(12-06-2022 11:33 AM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  ...
This release includes the Xcode source files and also ready built macOS Universal Binaries.

The GitHub repository is the host for the release.

Enjoy!

Perhaps I'm missing something? Where are the macOS universal binaries?

-Steve
12-10-2022, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2022 08:30 PM by ijabbott.)
(12-10-2022 07:30 PM)smartin Wrote:  Perhaps I'm missing something? Where are the macOS universal binaries?
In the Releases section.

EDIT: I'm not sure what release number it is though. The files are associated with git tag "v.1.0.5" but the title says "Version 1.0.2 (1001)".

— Ian Abbott
12-10-2022, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2023 02:17 PM by Mark H. Shin.)
(12-10-2022 08:23 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  EDIT: I'm not sure what release number it is though. The files are associated with git tag "v.1.0.5" but the title says "Version 1.0.2 (1001)".

Figured out how to delete previously created GitHub tags... Releases will now be tagged with r.x.x.x correlating to versions-- v.x.x.x

(12-09-2022 03:09 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  I'd actually prefer that you stick with GPLv3, but without the "or any later version" clause.

License changed back to GPLv3 as per brouhaha.

Edit [12/15/2022]: For those who downloaded the HP-10.app previously, I recommend downloading just the HP-10C again. There was a small glitch in the graphics, due to exporting on a different computer. The graphic has been updated, although the release version hasn't changed.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)