Will HP Make Real Calculator Again?
12-11-2022, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2022 02:47 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
RE: Will HP Make Real Calculator Again?
My think: For HP to restart their calculator production, engineers, college/university students, etc. need to flood HP with letters about their need for calcs. The engineers and technicians should maybe even petition for the return of RPN and RPN calculators. What's more, maybe even petition for a USB equipped 42S or better, a souped-up 41CX, application modules, and even a printer. Built with a USB port and a computer interface, I think a DAT or an RW CD drive would probably not be a necessary peripheral.

Santa Claus gets an onslaught of letters. So, why not HP?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2022, 02:34 AM
Eddie Shore said:

"I agree with your point, Carey. The Prime is never going to be the same as the HP 48 family. I don't get why it has to be exactly the same calculator every time or else."

One of your videos (thank you!) showed RPN on the Prime is not properly done:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=HP+...&FORM=VIRE

That help make final my opinion of the Prime.

There are those who love the new. But emphasis on the new has a lack of respect for traditional users. It began 20+ years back with the HP49 and continues with the Prime. With sadness, I expect nothing useful from HP.

Happy Holidays to everyone - RR
12-12-2022, 01:19 PM
The Prime is based off of the HP 38/39 G. Yes, the RPN side could be better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2022, 03:26 PM
(12-11-2022 10:59 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  My think: For HP to restart their calculator production, engineers, college/university students, etc. need to flood HP with letters about their need for calcs. The engineers and technicians should maybe even petition for the return of RPN and RPN calculators. What's more, maybe even petition for a USB equipped 42S or better, a souped-up 41CX, application modules, and even a printer. Built with a USB port and a computer interface, I think a DAT or an RW CD drive would probably not be a necessary peripheral.
[Image: istock-904166894_small.jpg]

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

12-12-2022, 07:23 PM
(12-10-2022 10:32 PM)John Keith Wrote:  
(12-10-2022 05:06 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  The old x48 will make on the pi, works just fine.

I tried to get X49GP running on the Pi but it seemed to need an older version of QT plus some other problems that I'm too much of a Linux noob to figure out.

I would really like to see a Raspberry Pi version of EMU48 but I don't even know where to begin with such things.

no, x48
https://sourceforge.net/projects/x48.berlios/files/
12-12-2022, 08:40 PM
(12-11-2022 06:54 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I agree with your point, Carey. The Prime is never going to be the same as the HP 48 family. I don't get why it has to be exactly the same calculator every time or else.
Maybe, being the new HP flagship, the expectation of die-hard HP calculators users was more on a 50g evolution and not a 39g's.
Speaking for myself only, I was quite disappointed trying the emulator for checking if the new calculator would fit my needs. To me, a professional user, the Prime is quite useless.
I am not saying it is crap, but its functionalities cannot replace what I use of the 48/50
12-12-2022, 09:28 PM
Cheapest way to get a portable 48/49 is to get an old Android phone for $30 or so and load Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it. Then you can run all of Christoph's emulators, with the only disadvantage being the touch screen instead of a real keyboard. If you want a physical keyboard (as the Raspberry Pi idea presumably was for) you could probably take a similar approach with a custom external keyboard/case to encapsulate the phone.

But as far as HP making real calculators again? Remember at HHC 2022 and HPCC 2022, Moravia announced it is bringing back a 15c Collector's Edition. I'd say the 15c is a real calculator.
12-12-2022, 09:46 PM
(12-12-2022 09:28 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Remember at HHC 2022 and HPCC 2022, Moravia announced it is bringing back a 15c Collector's Edition. I'd say the 15c is a real calculator.

Oh yes, go on milking the cows... :(

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-12-2022, 09:48 PM
HP maing calculators??? That ship has long sailed!!!

Namir
12-12-2022, 10:49 PM
Hello!

(12-12-2022 09:28 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Cheapest way to get a portable 48/49 is to get an old Android phone for $30 or so and load Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it.

Exactly. Last year I needed a small self-contained device with a touchscreen for a not calculator related tinkering project. I looked at various Raspberries and associated displays and battery solutions and enclosures and ended up buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from eBay for 20 Euros. It looks like new, came already "jailbroken", so I could install a later version of Android on it than it was designed for, and a battery charge lasts for several days (try that with a Raspberry Pi...). Of course I also installed some HP emulators on it :-)

Regards
Max
12-12-2022, 11:02 PM
(12-12-2022 03:26 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  .
(12-11-2022 10:59 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  My think: For HP to restart their calculator production, engineers, college/university students, etc. need to flood HP with letters about their need for calcs. The engineers and technicians should maybe even petition for the return of RPN and RPN calculators. What's more, maybe even petition for a USB equipped 42S or better, a souped-up 41CX, application modules, and even a printer. Built with a USB port and a computer interface, I think a DAT or an RW CD drive would probably not be a necessary peripheral.

Not sure what the pict means.
12-13-2022, 07:16 AM
(12-12-2022 07:23 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  no, x48

It likely needs tweaks to compile on a recent system, see my fork for example: https://github.com/gwenhael-le-moine/x48
12-13-2022, 10:30 AM
(12-13-2022 07:16 AM)gwh Wrote:  
(12-12-2022 07:23 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  no, x48

It likely needs tweaks to compile on a recent system, see my fork for example: https://github.com/gwenhael-le-moine/x48

nah, I build it on all my systems, x86 64, pi, rockpro, etc.
12-14-2022, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 09:36 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(12-12-2022 11:02 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(12-12-2022 03:26 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  .

Not sure what the pict means.

My interpretation:
That picture could show us the possible reaction of HP, if they get such mails, papers, etc. pp. But more likely no person at HP should get such messages, only the Wastebasket at HP.
Or, other interpretation: a bit more sarcastic: "nice try, good luck!"
Why:
It's no more the business of HP, now Moravia et.al. are holding the (remaining) calculator business.
please have e.g. a look at this thread: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18...ht=Moravia

Maybe sometimes (?) there will be new versions, updates and smaller new products from Moravia.
Ask Mr. Kuperus, maybe you get answers, maybe even usefull answers.
Good luck!
12-14-2022, 06:42 PM
(12-12-2022 09:28 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Cheapest way to get a portable 48/49 is to get an old Android phone for $30 or so and load Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it. Then you can run all of Christoph's emulators, with the only disadvantage being the touch screen instead of a real keyboard. If you want a physical keyboard (as the Raspberry Pi idea presumably was for) you could probably take a similar approach with a custom external keyboard/case to encapsulate the phone.

But as far as HP making real calculators again? Remember at HHC 2022 and HPCC 2022, Moravia announced it is bringing back a 15c Collector's Edition. I'd say the 15c is a real calculator.
"Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it. Then you can run all of Christoph's emulators, with the only disadvantage being the touch screen instead of a real keyboard."
Emu48 on Android phone which is most likely ARM?
I know so far ARM board making working the windows binaries from Christoph's emulators but on debian based linux (example raspbian) https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86/blob/ma...COMPILE.md I was not aware of any Android adaptor (like Box86 is for Debian based distro).
More details are available? (ideally having an Android tablet which will at the end support a pilbox connection and would show ILPER and VIDEO80 when I start an HP71B connected to it). Playing REVERSI during Christmas..

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
12-14-2022, 11:20 PM
(12-14-2022 06:42 PM)floppy Wrote:  
(12-12-2022 09:28 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Cheapest way to get a portable 48/49 is to get an old Android phone for $30 or so and load Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it. Then you can run all of Christoph's emulators, with the only disadvantage being the touch screen instead of a real keyboard. If you want a physical keyboard (as the Raspberry Pi idea presumably was for) you could probably take a similar approach with a custom external keyboard/case to encapsulate the phone.
"Emu48 (or Emu42 or Free42 if you prefer) onto it. Then you can run all of Christoph's emulators, with the only disadvantage being the touch screen instead of a real keyboard."
Emu48 on Android phone which is most likely ARM?
I know so far ARM board making working the windows binaries from Christoph's emulators but on debian based linux (example raspbian) https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86/blob/ma...COMPILE.md I was not aware of any Android adaptor (like Box86 is for Debian based distro).
More details are available? (ideally having an Android tablet which will at the end support a pilbox connection and would show ILPER and VIDEO80 when I start an HP71B connected to it). Playing REVERSI during Christmas..

Similar approach for Android. It's a very thin wrapper around the Win32 API calls to make it so the Windows Emu48 code can compile natively on Android, and yes, compiled to ARM. You can see the code here:

https://github.com/dgis/emu48android
12-15-2022, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2022 12:45 PM by floppy.)
Thanks. Interesting. I learned something.

My thoughts now are (NOT tested):
an android tablet, with an USB port (for connection to PIL-Box),
could host ILPER therefore will be turning the tablet to become a virtual drive (with print capability via ILPER) for HP41 or HP71 or HP75 (connected via HP-IL to the PIL-Box).
If the tablet has a second USB port (or a SD port), then the virtual drive could be stored on an USB Memory Stick or on a SD card for exchange of programs.
= android tablet as replacement of an HP printer and a cassette drive (and VIDEO80 if started).

I will keep this (idea; not tested/confirmed) in mind.

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
12-15-2022, 02:55 PM
(12-15-2022 11:49 AM)floppy Wrote:  Thanks. Interesting. I learned something.

My thoughts now are (NOT tested):
an android tablet, with an USB port (for connection to PIL-Box),
could host ILPER therefore will be turning the tablet to become a virtual drive (with print capability via ILPER) for HP41 or HP71 or HP75 (connected via HP-IL to the PIL-Box).
If the tablet has a second USB port (or a SD port), then the virtual drive could be stored on an USB Memory Stick or on a SD card for exchange of programs.
= android tablet as replacement of an HP printer and a cassette drive (and VIDEO80 if started).

I will keep this (idea; not tested/confirmed) in mind.

For what it's worth, the Emu71 version for Android is incomplete and has seen no development in 2 years due to apparent lack of interest, and as a result HP-IL doesn't yet work in it. So if you want to try to do HP-IL on it, you'll need to finish whatever hasn't yet been implemented to make HP-IL work on Android.
12-15-2022, 04:49 PM
(12-08-2022 10:17 PM)Allen Wrote:  Speaking of cheaper alternatives, I have several older Amazon kindle Fires (new ones are discounted sale now for $45 ) with Tomas Okken's Free42 on them.

They are reasonably fast, and it is much easier to read the program printouts than on my phone screen.

Although sometimes, I still pull out the IR printer and print a paper program from my physical 42s- as nostalgia calls me to do.

Me too, though I moved Free42 from my Kindle to an old cell phone, to keep it handy.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
12-26-2022, 06:38 PM
Well....
In my opinion the HP Prime is a good machine for it's designated market - college students.
I think what you are trying to say is that HP no longer makes calculators for 'professionals'.
And I agree with that, sadly.

Although I like the DM42; if it had the screen of the HP Prime it would be much better.

-John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)