Power consumption or bad battery
12-15-2022, 12:11 AM
Power consumption or bad battery
Hi all,
Recently my G2 has a problem with the battery. After being fully charged and not used for about a week, the calculator no longer turns on when you press [On]. After charging it works again, but the problem remains. This is the 2nd time this has happened, I never had this problem before. The calculator is about two and a half years old. What could be the reason why the battery lasts so short? Has anyone had the same experience in the past, and has a solution been found? Gladly, I look forward to an answer. Sincerely, Karel.

I use HP-16C, WP-34S emulator, HP-35s, HP-48GX, HP-50g, and HP Prime G2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2022, 06:50 AM
RE: Power consumption or bad battery
In case of doubt, try to purchase a Samsung Galaxy 3 battery. You can find them at a good price and a bit more mAh.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Cell-Phone-Batter.../bn_359784
12-16-2022, 08:46 PM
Since this is the second time it has happened, is that both times with the same battery or with different batteries?

— Ian Abbott
12-17-2022, 12:12 PM
Are you sure it was fully charged?

I charged my Prime on the Train for 2 hours, and thought it was charged, but it discharged quickly that evening, but it didn't happen with my regular chargers.

Give it a go with a known good cable and charger from mains.
12-17-2022, 06:20 PM
(12-16-2022 08:46 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Since this is the second time it has happened, is that both times with the same battery or with different batteries?

It happend with the same battery.

12-17-2022, 06:28 PM
(12-17-2022 12:12 PM)matalog Wrote:  Are you sure it was fully charged?

I charged my Prime on the Train for 2 hours, and thought it was charged, but it discharged quickly that evening, but it didn't happen with my regular chargers.

Give it a go with a known good cable and charger from mains.
All charges were made with the supplied cable and a charger that came with a G1. Never has that been a problem until the last two charges. That's why I find it so strange, maybe it's because I haven't used my G2 for a while before the last 2 charges, and the battery has been completely discharged during that time.

12-18-2022, 11:17 AM
(12-15-2022 12:11 AM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hi all,
Recently my G2 has a problem with the battery. After being fully charged and not used for about a week, the calculator no longer turns on when you press [On]. After charging it works again, but the problem remains. This is the 2nd time this has happened, I never had this problem before. The calculator is about two and a half years old. What could be the reason why the battery lasts so short? Has anyone had the same experience in the past, and has a solution been found? Gladly, I look forward to an answer. Sincerely, Karel.

Proprietary format lithium-ion batteries are a big problem. Here we are lucky that the one used on the Samsung S3 mobile phone is fine. But now this smartphone of Samsung it is a completely obsolete cell phone that can no longer be used. So inevitably the producers of batteries stop producing them. Lithium-ion or Li-po batteries have a limited life from the moment of their construction even if not used and kept in the drawer. In the best conditions they have a life of 5-7 years. So we must know that all of us HP Prime owners will have problems in the coming years when this battery format will be unobtainable and we will have to think of difficult DIY solutions.

For now I can give you two pieces of advice that don't just apply only to the HP calculator.
1 - Look for a battery where the manufacturer declares the production date and clearly choose the most recent one possible.
2 - check that the power supply and above all the cable are in perfect working order; often a worn cable with unstable contacts or worse, damaged internal conductors does not allow an adequate charge.
3 - equipped to manage your lithium-ion or Li-Po batteries in the best possible way.
you can start with stuff like that
USB Meter
where you will see the progress of the charge and above all how much energy has been transferred to your battery at the end of the charge.
4 - try to buy more performing lithium-ion or Li-po battery chargers than the circuits that are on board your power supply and calculator. With these you can dose and monitor the charge, but also discharge to measure the real capacity of the battery and its internal resistance:
Like this
Battery Charger
which is also useful for other items that use rechargeable batteries

Bye
12-23-2022, 03:37 PM
(12-18-2022 11:17 AM)pippocalo Wrote:  Here we are lucky

Luck had nothing to do with it. I fought hard to do that knowing it would be the only way to make it very available for a very long time... Smile

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-23-2022, 06:48 PM
(12-23-2022 03:37 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(12-18-2022 11:17 AM)pippocalo Wrote:  Here we are lucky

Luck had nothing to do with it. I fought hard to do that knowing it would be the only way to make it very available for a very long time... Smile

And thanks for that Tim! Were it not so, the HP-supplied battery would have already been discontinued long ago...

Merry Christmas Tim, it's already Christmas Eve in Taiwan... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
12-23-2022, 10:17 PM
OK TIM if the battery size is an your personal victory thank you very much and Merry Christmas while we're at it.
Being able to fight, the ideal would be to have a truly standard format such as AA and AAA for common batteries.
In the case of lithium, a nice 18650. Just think that my HP 67 used AA ni-cd batteries and there are still the Ni.Mh ones that are fine after 50 years
However Samsung S3 format is much better, as someone wrote, than a proprietary HP format for which thanks again to TIM.
GadFull (which produces and sells on Amazon) writes the production date of the battery (for Samsung S3) on the case
12-24-2022, 11:41 AM
Mobile phones tend to go obsolete faster than calculators, so are there any current mobile phones that use the S3 battery?

— Ian Abbott
12-24-2022, 12:25 PM
(12-24-2022 11:41 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Mobile phones tend to go obsolete faster than calculators, so are there any current mobile phones that use the S3 battery?

How many new phones have replaceable batteries the last few years?

Although Europe may require them again soon.
12-24-2022, 01:01 PM
(12-15-2022 12:11 AM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hi all,

Também estou com esse problema e a minha G2 é nova, tem pouco mais de 1 ano, mas desde o início ela apresenta esse tipo de problema. Infelizmente, a assistência Hp para calculadoras é ruim e distante, pois só tem em São Paulo, que eu saiba, e moro em Recife.

Apenas para registro!
12-24-2022, 05:29 PM
(12-24-2022 01:01 PM)Davidro Wrote:  
(12-15-2022 12:11 AM)cahlucas Wrote:  ....
Também estou com esse problema e a minha G2 é nova, tem pouco mais de 1 ano, mas desde o início ela apresenta esse tipo de problema. Infelizmente, a assistência Hp para calculadoras é ruim e distante, pois só tem em São Paulo, que eu saiba, e moro em Recife.

Apenas para registro!
por favor escreva em inglês, se possível -->
"I'm also having this problem and my G2 is new, has a little over 1 year, but since the beginning it presents this kind of problem. Unfortunately, the Hp service for calculators is bad and distant, because they only have them in São Paulo, as far as I know, and I live in Recife. Just for the record! "
12-26-2022, 05:50 PM
In the meantime it has become clear that the battery is defective, so I plan to buy a new one. Can anyone give me recommendations on what to look out for? I already saw that some of you have had bad experiences with Lithium-ion batteries from China. What should I pay attention to when buying a new battery?

12-26-2022, 07:17 PM
(12-26-2022 05:50 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  What should I pay attention to when buying a new battery?

Avoid buying one of the double-capacity batteries which are available for the Samsung S3 phone. Those batteries are twice as thick, and they protrude out of the back of the phone slightly, requiring the phone's back cover to be replaced with a fatter one. But those double-capacity batteries do NOT work in the Prime at all, because HP decided (unfortunately) to put the battery contacts on the OPPOSITE SIDE from where they are on the phone. Sad

Also, the HP-supplied battery has no NFC antenna inside it, whereas the Samsung batteries do, which makes them slightly thicker than HP's battery. If your new battery makes the back cover of your Prime seem to bulge outward, that's due to the NFC antenna in the battery. I have found that removing the thin piece of foam rubber from Prime's battery cover solves that problem.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)