HP Prime FW for 2023?
01-15-2023, 05:19 PM
RE: HP Prime FW for 2023?
(01-15-2023 02:33 PM)pschlie Wrote:  I suspect the best HP/Moravia can hope for, is to not be prohibited use within the educational and professional exam market, and instead concentrate on offering sufficient superior differentiable functionality to attract students and professionals who don't need to be instructed on which buttons to push within textbooks to accomplish their goals; as may possibly be offered by continuing to improve its alternative RPN, graphical, symbolic, programmability, and general ease-of-use capabilities (including documentation).

Attempting to unseat TI in the grade/high-school educational market is most likely a waste of time, and as the vast majority of students will never use a calculator again after graduating, concentrating on technical university and professional market needs, seems likely to be most productive use of limited resources. (At this point one can only hope, time will tell it seems.)

That was my point exactly. Forget the education market. Casio and TI have that segment sewn up neatly. Come out with a true handheld computer that the traditional HP market (scientists, engineers, surveyors) will actually want to use.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2023, 08:11 AM
(01-15-2023 05:19 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(01-15-2023 02:33 PM)pschlie Wrote:  I suspect the best HP/Moravia can hope for, is to not be prohibited use within the educational and professional exam market, and instead concentrate on offering sufficient superior differentiable functionality to attract students and professionals who don't need to be instructed on which buttons to push within textbooks to accomplish their goals; as may possibly be offered by continuing to improve its alternative RPN, graphical, symbolic, programmability, and general ease-of-use capabilities (including documentation).

Attempting to unseat TI in the grade/high-school educational market is most likely a waste of time, and as the vast majority of students will never use a calculator again after graduating, concentrating on technical university and professional market needs, seems likely to be most productive use of limited resources. (At this point one can only hope, time will tell it seems.)

That was my point exactly. Forget the education market. Casio and TI have that segment sewn up neatly. Come out with a true handheld computer that the traditional HP market (scientists, engineers, surveyors) will actually want to use.

Hello all. Great discussion. When I first got my Prime few weeks ago, after knowing how to use CAS and etc, my first impression was, there is quite some similarities with Mathcad. For example, in Mathcad, if you want to assign a value to a variable, you use :=, and another example on the solve(), the syntax is the same with Mathcad (one example is solve(x+2=1,x) will give -1). I was beginning to hypothesis, that HP Prime is a collaboration of HP and Mathcad (since one of Mathcad program is called Mathcad Prime).

If HP or Moravia has a plan to come up with a new calculator, or totally overhaul Prime FW, it would be awesome if it can be a JV between HP or Moravia, with Mathcad. All can the functions/codes can be leveraged from Mathcad, with no limit. The RPN need to be there, since for normal calculations, RPN is very efficient.
01-16-2023, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2023 12:47 PM by Over_score.)
(01-16-2023 08:11 AM)akmarul Wrote:  If HP or Moravia has a plan to come up with a new calculator, or totally overhaul Prime FW, it would be awesome if it can be a JV between HP or Moravia, with Mathcad. All can the functions/codes can be leveraged from Mathcad, with no limit. The RPN need to be there, since for normal calculations, RPN is very efficient.
https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html states the following :
In 2013, Giac was choosen for the CAS view of the well-known Geogebra software and it was also choosen by HP as CAS for their HP Prime calculator.

I don't know if this is true nor if it's still true.
01-19-2023, 01:42 AM
(01-16-2023 12:34 PM)Over_score Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 08:11 AM)akmarul Wrote:  If HP or Moravia has a plan to come up with a new calculator, or totally overhaul Prime FW, it would be awesome if it can be a JV between HP or Moravia, with Mathcad. All can the functions/codes can be leveraged from Mathcad, with no limit. The RPN need to be there, since for normal calculations, RPN is very efficient.
https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html states the following :
In 2013, Giac was choosen for the CAS view of the well-known Geogebra software and it was also choosen by HP as CAS for their HP Prime calculator.

I think you are right. I googled too, and found out HP Prime leverage the Giac. Or maybe Giac was created for Hp Prime.

I email Moravia few days ago info@moravia-consulting.com. This is their reply.

"Thank you for your email. We are always endeavouring to create new and better software.
For the future there will definitely be new versions, but as of right now I cannot give any specific dates for their release.
All the best"

So there is still hpe for new firmware. Maybe if a lot more users email moravia requesting for new firmware, they would speed things up. If you want to do so, you can email them at

info@moravia-consulting.com
01-26-2023, 01:50 PM
(01-19-2023 01:42 AM)akmarul Wrote:  I email Moravia few days ago info@moravia-consulting.com. This is their reply.

"Thank you for your email. We are always endeavouring to create new and better software.
For the future there will definitely be new versions, but as of right now I cannot give any specific dates for their release.
All the best"

You can feel happy or lucky, at least you got a reply, it seems not everyone deserves it.

In now 5 years and a half with 4 messages sent to 3 different email adresses (info@sharp-calculators.com, info@moravia-consulting.com, info@moravia-europe.de), I never got a reply, not even a single copy-pasted courtesy line.
01-29-2023, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 03:40 AM by Jlouis.)
I'm amazed that they will make the venerable 15C again, I missed the 2011 LE, and here's the chance to get the best non graphic and non expandable scientific calculator ever, with the perfect format and with new hardware!

At least they show good taste! ( I'm sorry if it's not a good english!)

It was my first HP, bought in 1988, and it was used till circa 2008, when it disappeared after a flight ( I was a B-727 Flight Engineer). Many programs were in there, from units conversion to perfomance calculations, I used it almost everyday.

I'm sure they would not produce it again if they were not certain that the sales will be good!

As VA says, Long Live to the HP 15C!

Cheers

JL
01-29-2023, 02:50 PM
(01-29-2023 03:37 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  I'm amazed that they will make the venerable 15C again
Wait, what? Did I miss a memo? Is there a post about this somewhere?
01-29-2023, 03:26 PM
(01-29-2023 02:50 PM)tppytel Wrote:  
(01-29-2023 03:37 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  I'm amazed that they will make the venerable 15C again
Wait, what? Did I miss a memo? Is there a post about this somewhere?

Just watch the video in the second post where the Moravia manager said that they will make the 15C and possibly others classic famous calculators.

Amazing, isn't it?
01-30-2023, 05:09 PM
(01-29-2023 03:26 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(01-29-2023 02:50 PM)tppytel Wrote:  Wait, what? Did I miss a memo? Is there a post about this somewhere?

Just watch the video in the second post where the Moravia manager said that they will make the 15C and possibly others classic famous calculators.

Amazing, isn't it?
No, sorry. Only a lot of talk, unfortunately no slides, likewise no temporal announcements. Of course, I would be surprised and thrilled if the announcements were followed by deliveries at some point.
02-02-2023, 08:44 PM
(01-19-2023 01:42 AM)akmarul Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 12:34 PM)Over_score Wrote:  https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html states the following :

I think you are right. I googled too, and found out HP Prime leverage the Giac. Or maybe Giac was created for Hp Prime.

All the best"

So there is still hpe for new firmware. Maybe if a lot more users email moravia requesting for new firmware, they would speed things up. If you want to do so, you can email them at

Also got a reply from them today:

Quote:Hi Lumito,

We are currently working on the new firmware and hope to be able to release it in the next weeks. Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet/Mit freundlichen Grüßen.
02-03-2023, 03:29 AM
(02-02-2023 08:44 PM)Lumito Wrote:  
(01-19-2023 01:42 AM)akmarul Wrote:  I think you are right. I googled too, and found out HP Prime leverage the Giac. Or maybe Giac was created for Hp Prime.

All the best"

Also got a reply from them today:

Quote:Hi Lumito,

We are currently working on the new firmware and hope to be able to release it in the next weeks. Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet/Mit freundlichen Grüßen.

Ahh... maybe good news. But he used "weeks" vs "week". It could be in the next 87weeks Smile.haha..
02-03-2023, 12:52 PM
(02-03-2023 03:29 AM)akmarul Wrote:  
(02-02-2023 08:44 PM)Lumito Wrote:  Also got a reply from them today:

Ahh... maybe good news. But he used "weeks" vs "week". It could be in the next 87weeks Smile.haha..

Klaas Kuperus said back in mid September of last year that the new firmware would be released within the next few weeks; when devs say stuff like that it's usually meaningless.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)