Wanted - Looking for any early model computers with HP-IB, and related equipment
01-08-2023, 08:47 PM
Wanted - Looking for any early model computers with HP-IB, and related equipment
Hello!

I am building a home workshop/electronics lab and looking for earlier model HP computers, like the 9845 or others, that I can use to control a various array of HP instruments that I intend to build up over time.

I currently have some old CNC mills/lathes that are running 80s era CNC controllers (I think 286-based) and absolutely enjoy working with them.

I work in software and data analytics during the data, but enjoy working with earlier era technologies in my off time. I think they are still quite capable for the hobbyist/low-production goals I have when it comes to electronics and circuit design.

I am new to this forum. Please feel free to let me know if a 9845 qualifies as "unobtainium". I know it is certainly not on sites like eBay. And maybe it is not "unobtainium" to everyone...but it's possible it might be as far as my wallet is concerned.

I am happy to use other computers around that time such as the 85, 87 if they are capable of controlling these instruments. Anything that could be used for process control, light automation, data logging, etc.

Any reel to reel tape drives, hard-disc drives, etc. would be great as well. Not sure if there is anything rack-mountable as far computers go, but that would awesome. Is there something that can be a "controller" of the instruments that is rack-mountable? I ask because most of my equipment will be rack-mounted....and I build the racks in a fashion that looks similar to the era of this equipment...DC loads, DC power supplies, logic analyzers, switches, etc.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2023, 10:34 PM
RE: Wanted - Looking for any early model computers with HP-IB, and related equipment
I worked on racked ATE's back in the day that used HP9000 series 300 controllers with a very powerful BASIC. Some can be found on The Bay at prices you'd expect to pay for a modern notebook. IIRC most required an external HP-IB mass storage device as well, though later models at least had built in floppy drives. Try to locate a manual first to see if a model might fit your needs.

Side note: I'm looking to acquire a Precision Matthews PM-728VT mill to complement my old 13" Southbend lathe Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-09-2023, 10:11 PM
RE: Wanted - Looking for any early model computers with HP-IB, and related equipment
I have an HP-110+ with HP-9114 floppy disk drive that could maybe help you out.

Please send me a PM if you might be interested in this equipment.

smp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)