hpcalc.org being shut down?
01-23-2023, 09:42 AM
hpcalc.org being shut down?
Hello everybody,
I noticed that hpcalc.org hasn't been updated since August 2022, does anyone know why? I hope there are no problems in its management.
Will it be necessary to take action to save his huge database?
thanks

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2023, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2023 10:10 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: hpcalc.org being shut down?
(01-23-2023 09:42 AM)franz.b Wrote:  Hello everybody,
I noticed that hpcalc.org hasn't been updated since August 2022, does anyone know why? I hope there are no problems in its management.
Will it be necessary to take action to save his huge database?
thanks

Don't think so.
Why not ask Eric?

Actually he is saving other's opus on his own site.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2023, 01:38 PM
There's no problem there, as Eric will confirm shortly. He's simply busy preparing and scanning manuals for his literature site.

--Bob Prosperi
01-23-2023, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2023 02:43 PM by SammysHP.)
All files (except the literature) are also available as a torrent (and from my http mirror), so a backup would be easy.

https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/
01-23-2023, 04:16 PM
First, I have no intention of shutting down hpcalc.org. Right now it only costs me around $500 per year to run, and although I am no longer selling calculators to cover my costs, it is not a problem to absorb that expense.

Second, I can only update http://www.hpcalc.org if people send me files to add. And since my last update in August, only eight (yes, 8) programs have been sent to me (new or updated). So there really isn't much to add. When I do an update, I also tend to spend a full day and scour the Internet and this forum for more new stuff, so the next update probably will have at least twice as many changes in total, but that still isn't very much. If you want new content, you need to provide it to me -- I don't write programs for the calculators myself.

Third, I actually have been updating hpcalc.org regularly, just it's mostly been other parts of the site, like literature.hpcalc.org, rather than http://www.hpcalc.org. As Bob said, my focus the last couple years has been my book/manual scanning project. With the exception of the last couple months, when an unrelated HP-calculator-related project (you'll find out in the coming months...) and a non-calculator-related personal scanning project have been distracting me, I have been adding scanned books several times a week for years, and the last half year is no exception. In fact, since the last update to http://www.hpcalc.org in August, I have added 62 more books to literature.hpcalc.org -- despite 1/3 of that time being spent on the above projects and another good chunk of time spent producing over 30 hours of new videos for videos.hpcalc.org.

So no, the site isn't dead (it's very much alive), and I have no intention of shutting it down.
01-23-2023, 05:33 PM
Speaking of literature.hpcalc.org, is there a way to see recent updates, or to sort by upload date? I would hate to miss something interesting that you've added!
01-23-2023, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2023 05:49 PM by Kiwi.)
Hi Dave,

It's rather easy, just click on the 'full master list of all known HP calculator literature' link, tick the 'Last Update' box and click (2x) on the 'Last Update' field in the blue ribbon bar.
01-23-2023, 06:01 PM
(01-23-2023 09:42 AM)franz.b Wrote:  Will it be necessary to take action to save his huge database?

Little OT.

I think it is always good to have copies of valuable data (if possible). You never know when it is going to stop working (even just due to technical hiccups), so the more copies the more chances for the data to survive.

Fortunately Eric is awesome and he offers even orderly torrents of its site and others: https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/ so if one can help over time, one can do it.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-23-2023, 06:09 PM
(01-23-2023 05:45 PM)Kiwi Wrote:  Hi Dave,

It's rather easy, just click on the 'full master list of all known HP calculator literature' link, tick the 'Last Update' box and click (2x) on the 'Last Update' field in the blue ribbon bar.

Perfect, thanks!
01-23-2023, 06:51 PM
Use this link to see a sorted list

https://literature.hpcalc.org/?order=date

I check almost daily to see the new stuff Eric has uploaded.

Another BIG thank you to Eric!

Felix
01-23-2023, 08:42 PM
(01-23-2023 06:01 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(01-23-2023 09:42 AM)franz.b Wrote:  Will it be necessary to take action to save his huge database?

Little OT.

I think it is always good to have copies of valuable data (if possible). You never know when it is going to stop working (even just due to technical hiccups), so the more copies the more chances for the data to survive.

archive.org keeps archives of most things, and has lots of copies you can look up by date.  There are almost 1300 backups made in the last 25 years of hpcalc.org.  Just go to archive.org and put hpcalc.org/ in their search bar.  I wish I had known this years earlier, as there were lots of sites I had bookmarks to that went down, and I sadly deleted the bookmarks rather than knowing to look up the archives and modifying the bookmarks to bring up the archived copies of those now-gone sites.

Thank you for a great site, Eric!

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
01-23-2023, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2023 11:53 PM by franz.b.)
Thank you all, you have reassured me! Smile

@Eric Thanks for what you do! I wasn't looking for new content, I just noticed that the monthly news stopped and I got worried, that's all [Image: 31.gif]

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50
01-23-2023, 09:56 PM
Same situation with my site too (http://www.wiki4hp.com) - it's only as good as people contributing to it, and there's been few updates lately. I'll continue to operate it as long as it doesn't become a hassle or a security concern, but it's there if anyone wants to contribute!

Thanks,
Bruce
01-23-2023, 11:35 PM
Funny I was just looking around yesterday and noticed the same. I was actually going to e-mail Eric and ask if something was broken.
I usually organize and update my stuff around this time of year and check for new stuff.
I noticed that there is some duplicates and redundant stuff on hpcalc.org, take RPLMAN.DOC, there are a couple versions but several duplicates of each, sometimes uploaded as part of the hptools package, sometimes individually. I wonder of any of those duplicates could be removed?
01-23-2023, 11:58 PM
(01-23-2023 11:35 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  ... I wonder of any of those duplicates could be removed?

Why bother?
Space is cheap, time to do so is not.

--Bob Prosperi
01-24-2023, 12:48 AM
it becomes noise when searching for things
01-24-2023, 05:56 AM
Also regarding literature, I notice that there only appears to be rev 1 of the HP-28S Owner's Manual available (rev 5 of the reference manual though).

Does that mean no one in proximity to Eric has provided a rev 5 (or at least rev 4) OM? Sounds hard to believe.

I have it but am in Australia :-(

(01-23-2023 05:33 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Speaking of literature.hpcalc.org, is there a way to see recent updates, or to sort by upload date? I would hate to miss something interesting that you've added!

Calculator Clique on YouTube
01-24-2023, 01:18 PM
(01-24-2023 05:56 AM)dmh Wrote:  Does that mean no one in proximity to Eric has provided a rev 5 (or at least rev 4) OM? Sounds hard to believe.

I'll check which versions I have and send one if I have a Rev. 4 or 5 to be scanned.

--Bob Prosperi
01-24-2023, 02:57 PM
@Eric Rechlin
Would it be too much to ask that updates to literature.hpcalc.org update the newest additions feed at hpcalc.org? I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to have a small script that compares and posts when you make uploads.
Currently I'll download you list and compare, I try to mot do it too often so as to not use too much bandwidth.
01-24-2023, 08:47 PM
(01-23-2023 08:42 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  archive.org keeps archives of most things, and has lots of copies you can look up by date. 

Yes and no. Archive.org can go down on their own (one wrong ransomware opening, and that's it). Archive removes contents quickly if you flag them, they cannot risk unclear content. They have too much content for the amount of resources they have to verify things twice or thrice.

Further they may crawl a site but not properly, case in point, try: clanbase. Clanbase was a large, and I mean really large and active website about tournament organization for esports in europe. They messed up and they closed around 2014 (now they have the newer version online).

Try to find it on Archive.org and browse it. Is it there? yes, it is there with all the leagues, cups and data? No.

Especially things that require registrations to see more, they are there only partially.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)