HP 48G+: Using the Matrix Editor
01-23-2023, 07:28 PM
HP 48G+: Using the Matrix Editor
Hello, guys,

I have a hard time finding out how I can use the matrix editor (right-shift ENTER = MATRIX) to edit an already existing matrix M1. I have loaded M1 via the VAR menu so that its contents was in the X register, then I started the matrix editor but it was empty. I have put 'M1' into the X register, same behavior. From within the editor I did not find a way to get access to existing variables (only to put them into a single cell which is not relevant).

I have tried right-shift VAR = MEMORY and to edit M1 from there but then I'm left with the [] syntax which is not so comfortable. Going directly via VAR only allows for calling the variable M1 from the smart menu, no way here to involve the matrix editor.

I have read in the manuals, quick guide, user manual, advanced user reference, to no avail.

I'd appreciate really even the slightest of hints, thanks!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2023, 08:06 PM
RE: HP 48G+: Using the Matrix Editor
Hello,

I don't know if it can help but…

On a 50g, I just click on the down-arrow (↓) and voila!

NB: The matrix itself - not the variable containing the matrix - has to be on the level 1 of the stack.
In the contrary case, just do EVAL or RCL before to click on the down-arrow (↓).

Bruno
Sanyo CZ-0124 ⋅ TI-57 ⋅ HP-15C ⋅ Canon X-07 + XP-140 Monitor Card ⋅ HP-41CX ⋅ HP-28S ⋅ HP-50G ⋅ HP-50G
01-23-2023, 08:12 PM
(01-23-2023 08:06 PM)FLISZT Wrote:  On a 50g, I just click on the down-arrow (↓) and voila!

You rule, mate! So simple, so quick... Why can't I find this in the manuals? But yes, the 48G+ works as your 50G: Matrix itself in the X register, down arrow and whoosh: you're in like Finn Smile

Thanks a lot, didn't expect such a quick solution!

Cheers everyone!
01-23-2023, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2023 11:31 PM by Joe Horn.)
Here's a very arcane way of editing a matrix (using the MatrixWriter) whose name is on level 1 of the stack of a 48G/GX/G+. Press up-cursor, right-shift, VIEW (second menu key). After editing the matrix, press ENTER twice to exit. The name of the matrix will still be on level 1, but the edited version will now be stored in it.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2023, 11:56 PM
(01-23-2023 11:30 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Here's a very arcane way of editing a matrix (using the MatrixWriter) whose name is on level 1 of the stack of a 48G/GX/G+. Press up-cursor, right-shift, VIEW (second menu key). After editing the matrix, press ENTER twice to exit. The name of the matrix will still be on level 1, but the edited version will now be stored in it.

Arcane yes, but cool and quick. Thx Joe!

--Bob Prosperi
01-24-2023, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2023 02:13 AM by FLISZT.)
(01-23-2023 11:30 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Here's a very arcane way of editing a matrix (using the MatrixWriter) whose name is on level 1 of the stack of a 48G/GX/G+. Press up-cursor, right-shift, VIEW (second menu key). After editing the matrix, press ENTER twice to exit. The name of the matrix will still be on level 1, but the edited version will now be stored in it.

On a 50g - and I assume on the 49g/49g+ and 48gII - it's almost the same key sequence.
But instead of "right-shift", you have to press "left-shift".

Edit / bottom line : up-arrow, left-shift, VIEW

Bruno
Sanyo CZ-0124 ⋅ TI-57 ⋅ HP-15C ⋅ Canon X-07 + XP-140 Monitor Card ⋅ HP-41CX ⋅ HP-28S ⋅ HP-50G ⋅ HP-50G
01-24-2023, 04:44 AM
(01-24-2023 02:00 AM)FLISZT Wrote:  

On a 50g - and I assume on the 49g/49g+ and 48gII - it's almost the same key sequence.
But instead of "right-shift", you have to press "left-shift".

Edit / bottom line : up-arrow, left-shift, VIEW

On the 50g, there's an even faster way: just press and keep holding down left-shift, then press down-cursor. No need to press the up-arrow first. Smile

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2023, 07:40 AM

Thank you, works fine! Now I know two different methods Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)