Non-HP cases?
02-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Non-HP cases?
Just wondering is there is a list of manufacturers for HP cases (other than HP)
I know Sampson Cables is currently producing some very nice ones.
What about older ones?
I came across an HP-65 black leather case that is different from the standard case:
1) the flap leather is smooth not wrinkled
2) there is no HP logo
3) missing the small side flaps that cover to top left and right sides of the calculator
4) The leather on the side of the calculators display (side with pockets on the case) is not folded over to the interior to allow the smooth leather to touch the display. I had always assumed this was to protect the display from scratches. Otherwise the 'fluffy' side of the leather touches it and it is prone to attract and retain dust particles that through movement may scratch the display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2023, 06:43 PM
RE: Non-HP cases?
I’ve documented many HP cases here, this includes also some of the third party cases sold by Educalc.
02-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Suggestion:
- Make your own design
- Ask for an offer of your design proposal at a seller on Etsy.com
- Order
(example: this one has made HP41 and HP71 case on demand with a new design from this forum https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/bag4bicycle...ile_header quality high, price reasonable)

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
02-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Those look pretty good. They are all what I would call 'field cases', made of thick boot leather. Haven't found anyone yet that makes 'indoor use' soft leather cases like the original HP classic cases. This HP-65 case knock-off I found is close. But there is no indication of the manufacturer. It could be homebrew, if someone had significant sewing skills.
02-06-2023, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2023 03:20 PM by Wes Loewer.)
(02-03-2023 06:43 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I’ve documented many HP cases here, this includes also some of the third party cases sold by Educalc.

Thank you for compiling this information.

A number of the cases in your document are described as "leather". Are any of them actually leather ("genuine leather"), or are all of them synthetic leather? The HP synthetic leather cases for the 49g+/50g are particularly bad in that they start flaking off after a while.

Does anyone have any experience with the Samson Cables synthetic leather cases for the 50g? They look almost identical to the HP ones (SC case vs HP case). It makes me wonder if these SC cases will eventually flake as well.

I like the look of the "leather" cases, but the later HP cases with the synthetic woven surface have faired much better wear-wise. I assume the SC woven versions would be of similar quality (SC and HP). Again, can anyone confirm this?
02-06-2023, 04:09 PM
Let's call synthetic leather what it really is: vinyl.
A synthetic diamond is a real diamond made of carbon - only it was made with machines, not formed naturally in the earth. I'm not sure if we even have the tech to grow animal skins in the lab to be harvested for leather.

My personal preference is leather followed by HP vinyl cases with fur interior. The vinyl cases without fur (like some Spice cases) have a thin padding layer that turns to dust over the years and seeps through the interior fabric. To test, unzip one and invert over a sheet of white paper. Strike the bottom of the case with you hand - you will likely see black particles on the paper. I throw these cases away.

On leather cases, it's easy to clean up a case with poor appearance. A 60% case can get to 90% with some black shoe polish and buffing. Works wonders.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)