TRS-80 PC-2 Printer/Cassette Interface
02-05-2023, 07:49 PM
TRS-80 PC-2 Printer/Cassette Interface
Hello,

Newbie here. I'm seeking someone who might be interested in repairing my PC-2 Printer/Cassette Interface. I removed the battery pack, cleaned up the very little amount of acid leak, inspected the rest of the unit and found that one of the very small gears in the printer had rotted and split in two.

Per a video I watched on YouTube stating that a AC adapter with a higher mah was needed, I attached a universal adapter with the correct polarity and higher mah. The unit powered up (PC-2 pocket computer attached as well), but doesn't do much at all. The print heads don't, and I'm am unable to feed it paper. It does give an ERROR 6 which is likely caused by the removal of the battery (as I've seen mentioned on this forum).

If you have the skills, and a PC-2 or Sharp PC-1500, and are interested in tackling this repair job, I'd be happy to compensate you. I have all of the necessary items including the unit itself, extra pens, paper, manual, and even a pdf of the service manual. I'm based Southern California, so driving it to you is an option as well if you're local.

If interested, please let me know and we can talk further.

Joe

(2nd try at posting this).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2023, 09:53 PM
RE: TRS-80 PC-2 Printer/Cassette Interface
Well, I watched the video created by Mr. Jeff Birt several times before attempting to repair my TRS-80 PC-2 Printer/Cassette interface. I ordered two sets of brass gears (in case I dropped one and it went who knows where) from Jeff, and watched the video again when the gears arrived. I thought that only one of the smaller gears was broken, but further inspection revealed a small break in the other gear as well. To create the tool needed per the video, I had a 2 inch c-clamp in my garage, so I cut off the head of it and dug out my bench grinder to flatten the head as level as possible. It came out very nice. Then I had to dig out my vise for the next step.

I used a pair of hemostats to temporarily hold the gear as I aligned the clamp and the gear with the motor shaft. I slowly proceeded to press the new brass gear onto the motor shaft, stopping quite often to check alignment and how things looked. I finished the alleged "easy one", and started on the other. I took even more time to make sure the teeth of the new gear and the existing gear aligned as I pressed the gear onto the shaft. That came out very nice as well.

I put things back together, and tested the unit. The motor shafts just wiggled under power. After checking several things, and bugging Jeff as to what the problem could be, I took things apart and noticed that when I had connected the multiple pin connector to the row of corresponding pins, I missed a pin by connecting things too far to one side. So I fixed that, and all is well.

For someone who has never attempted anything like this before, I was amazed that I could do it. But if it wasn't for Jeff's excellent video, and inspiration, I would have had gotten rid of a unit that could have been repaired. Thanks again Jeff for your email and patience with a newbie.
02-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Hi Joe,

Welcome to this forum. And thank you for your successful repair story.
Outside US this machine was sold as Sharp PC-1500. I guess you know.
So if you are looking for more interesting sites also search for this one.

Andi
04-11-2023, 09:08 AM
I just got a broken one on eBay and fixed it as well.
I took a cracked pinion gear and casted a silicone mold and reproduced them.

Now I’m trying to find a source for the 57mm x 30mm 1ply paper rolls but haven’t been able to find any that’s not thermal paper.

Anyone know where you can find paper?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-11-2023, 12:12 PM
Look for paper for printing calculators/adding machines. They use good old ink and ribbons so the tabulations do not fade with time. Most adding machine rolls are a larger diameter like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403168819898

I've got about 50 rolls of paper for the 'wide carriage' version of the Alps mech used my the Convergant Workslate. The diameter is smaller but it would have to be cut down for the small printers. Not sure how to easily/accurately accomplish that. I think it would be easier to get the 57mm calculator rolls and rewrap it around a smaller core.
04-11-2023, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2023 02:33 PM by sideburn.)
I’ve found 57mm x 39mm rolls but it’s thermal paper.
I suppose that might work if it’s not too thick. The stock paper is 1ply.

I’ve also found what you found but 40mm OD. That could work and just soool some of it onto another core.
04-11-2023, 05:02 PM
I can send you a roll. That can hold you over while you keeping search for additional rolls. Just PM me with your mailing information.

Joe
04-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Ah thanks. I’m ok right now was just thinking what to do when I run low.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)