LINSFIRE (NewYes) NY-991MS
02-08-2023, 01:45 PM
LINSFIRE (NewYes) NY-991MS
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/im...184611.jpg

Review:
http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2023/02/r...lator.html

Pros:
* I love the folding case and the professional look of the calculator.
* The writing tablet is a nice addition.
* The two-line screen has large numbers and characters, which makes it easy to read.

Cons:
* The manual is horrible! The manual has so many errors that someone is who new to calculators will have trouble using it.
* Errors include: many spelling errors, wrong key, mislabeling statistical equations (switching the slope (it should be a, not b), and the intercept (it should be b, not a), and describing some functions that are not even present (no conjugate function)
* s_x and s_y returns the population deviation, not sample deviation
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2023, 04:18 PM
RE: LINSFIRE (NewYes) NY-991MS
I bought a clone of this calculator from amazon recently. It was just as you described. I didn't research the device functions very well. I was very disappointed that there were no units conversion capability. If those functions were available it might be a handy device to have around. But alas no joy.

Don't ask me I just lurk here.
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2023, 04:20 PM
I have this model, and in fact published a long review of it on Amazon. It's actually pretty cool, and has some nice improvements over other models with the write-erase screen. The manual is pretty bad, but to be fair, it looks like they literally copied it word for word from "another source" of the original. Smile

I'm hoping they'll come out with another edition with more features.
02-08-2023, 08:23 PM
Definitely one of the more unique Casio fx-991MS clones I've seen! But it's strange that they didn't include the constants or unit conversions. I see a COMP/LRN key, though - does this have some extremely simple programming capability?

Those LCD writing tablets are pretty handy. I keep an 8.5"x11" Boogie Board in my office at home. It's great for scratching out a quick math problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2023, 08:26 PM
(02-08-2023 08:23 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Those LCD writing tablets are pretty handy. I keep an 8.5"x11" Boogie Board in my office at home. It's great for scratching out a quick math problem.

The best part of their write-erase screen is that you can lock it so that it can't accidentally be wiped. Honestly, it's the best feature. Smile
02-09-2023, 11:44 PM
Yes, it's a nice unique calculator -- gave one to a nephew who uses it for geometry homework.

It's interesting that having a calculator side writing panel represents the opposite design goal of the HP 48 series where the 48SX project director explained in a video that one design goal was that the user wouldn't need paper and pencil next to the calculator, i.e., all work could be done on the calculator itself. Different calculators, different goals, both useful for very different purposes!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)