need Plus42's manual
02-11-2023, 12:21 PM
need Plus42's manual
thomasokken.com has been blocked in my courtry. Could someone give me a copy of the manual? many thinks.
I hope I can purchase Plus42 for android. But Google's site also cann't be visited in my country. sadly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2023, 09:58 AM
RE: need Plus42's manual
Welcome Slabco,

attached ist the alternate Manual from Thomas's site. The Original HP Manual is available here https://literature.hpcalc.org/community/hp42s-om-en.pdf

Best Regards, Jan

.pdf  42s.pdf (Size: 602.72 KB / Downloads: 35)

Stay healthy and keep calculating,
Jan
02-13-2023, 10:44 PM
(02-11-2023 12:21 PM)slabco Wrote:  thomasokken.com has been blocked in my courtry. Could someone give me a copy of the manual? many thinks.
I hope I can purchase Plus42 for android. But Google's site also cann't be visited in my country. sadly.

I don't think there is a full manual, but differences from the HP-42S manual are documented on the Plus42 web page on Thomas's site.

Are the snapshots on archive.org also blocked in your country? If not, try this one: https://web.archive.org/web/202302030724...om/plus42/.

— Ian Abbott
02-14-2023, 06:22 AM
(02-13-2023 09:58 AM)JanS Wrote:  Welcome Slabco,

attached ist the alternate Manual from Thomas's site. The Original HP Manual is available here https://literature.hpcalc.org/community/hp42s-om-en.pdf

Best Regards, Jan

Thank you! I've got the manal! Smile
02-14-2023, 06:30 AM
(02-13-2023 10:44 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(02-11-2023 12:21 PM)slabco Wrote:  thomasokken.com has been blocked in my courtry. Could someone give me a copy of the manual? many thinks.

I don't think there is a full manual, but differences from the HP-42S manual are documented on the Plus42 web page on Thomas's site.

Are the snapshots on archive.org also blocked in your country? If not, try this one: https://web.archive.org/web/202302030724...om/plus42/.
Thank you for your help! Smile
archive.org has been blocked many many years ago. If they don't block that site, many other blocks are useless.
02-19-2023, 10:31 PM
(02-11-2023 12:21 PM)slabco Wrote:  thomasokken.com has been blocked in my courtry.
What country would block a site about calculators? I can imagine the US forcing Google to block payware in countries its current government doesn't like but why block a calculator site? You obviously have access to a computer already so it won't do much to prevent people from making calculations.
02-19-2023, 10:57 PM
Blocks don't always make sense. My site (hpcalc.org) was blocked in China until a couple years ago, but it seems it is allowed again now (it was still blocked in both Beijing and Shanghai last time I visited in 2019, I've been told it's since been unblocked but I haven't confirmed for myself).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-19-2023, 11:15 PM
(02-19-2023 10:31 PM)johanw Wrote:  
(02-11-2023 12:21 PM)slabco Wrote:  thomasokken.com has been blocked in my courtry.
What country would block a site about calculators? ...

Totally depends on WebSite Setup (which might not be under your complete control - Some hosters host a multitude of domains on the same IP (shared webhosting) and look at the inbound IP traffic to direct you to the correct webserver). If your Domain is on the same IPv4 host as something that your ruling body does not approve of, you are just collateral damage. May also be that just the DNS you are using is not resolving the address because of some legal/technical shenanigans going on (which you can prevent by running your own resolver like unbound on a raspberry for example). If the IP Traffic itself is beeing blocked, you are probably out of luck apart from connecting via a VPN service (which again may be blocked) but this may also be a "tell" that your ruling body might be interested in following up with (which you might not want), so "rehosting" the above pdf seemed to be the easy choice and as the original is readily available on Thomas's site, why not make it available here - so I did just that.

Blocking a calculator related website does not compute :-)

Jan
02-20-2023, 08:11 AM
I had not thought about the shared hosting, that is indeed a point.

A VPN is often necessary yes. Even though I live in the supposedly "free" EU I need one, not only to visit pirate sites but also to visit a news site the regime doesn't like.
02-20-2023, 06:00 PM
Try visiting Japanese Yahoo auctions from EU countries ....

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

You have to VPN yourself to e.g. Australia :-\
02-21-2023, 12:03 AM

Tor Browser. Browse Privately. Explore Freely. Defend yourself against tracking and surveillance. Circumvent censorship.
https://www.torproject.org

How to circumvent the Great Firewall and connect to Tor from China?
https://support.torproject.org/censorshi...rom-china/
02-21-2023, 05:41 AM
(02-19-2023 10:31 PM)johanw Wrote:  What country would block a site about calculators?

Having my own experience with a totalitarian regime, I’d like to point out they tend to ban everything except for what’s explicitly approved.

So the question is more like: Why would I need to approve that site about calculators? Can’t it backfire one day and trash my career?

It’s a completely different mindset, probably difficult to grasp for people living their whole life in a free society.
03-05-2023, 05:13 AM
(02-19-2023 10:31 PM)johanw Wrote:  
What country would block a site about calculators? I can imagine the US forcing Google to block payware in countries its current government doesn't like but why block a calculator site? You obviously have access to a computer already so it won't do much to prevent people from making calculations.
very sorry for not reply timely. My legs still cann't function well now. It's a liitle bit hard for me to move to my computer. lots of pains in legs and feet.
What can I say about those blocks? people cann't limit their acts to block any site. They can do whatever they want. wikipedia youtube facebook twitter cnn washington post newyorktimes also blocked.
03-05-2023, 05:35 AM
(02-19-2023 10:57 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Blocks don't always make sense. My site (hpcalc.org) was blocked in China until a couple years ago, but it seems it is allowed again now (it was still blocked in both Beijing and Shanghai last time I visited in 2019, I've been told it's since been unblocked but I haven't confirmed for myself).
Hi Eric!
Your site is very very good! I got a lot of things from the site. Thank you very much! God bless you!
Why do you stop updating it after August 31th? Since thomasokken.com blocked in my country I can only download free42's android version from your site. Now fres42's 3.0.17 version is out. I can only use 3.0.14 version. Sad
And you said many new functions will be added to free42. I think those functions are very useful. It's seems free42 don't have any of them until now.
03-05-2023, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 05:44 AM by slabco.)
(02-21-2023 12:03 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  

Tor Browser. Browse Privately. Explore Freely. Defend yourself against tracking and surveillance. Circumvent censorship.
https://www.torproject.org

How to circumvent the Great Firewall and connect to Tor from China?
https://support.torproject.org/censorshi...rom-china/
Thank you for your help! But tor and it's site has also been blocked. They spent a lot of work on blocking tor. I guess. Because Tor have tried many skills to fight GFW. And GFW wins finnally.
03-05-2023, 06:07 AM
(02-21-2023 05:41 AM)vaklaff Wrote:  
(02-19-2023 10:31 PM)johanw Wrote:  What country would block a site about calculators?

Having my own experience with a totalitarian regime, I’d like to point out they tend to ban everything except for what’s explicitly approved.

So the question is more like: Why would I need to approve that site about calculators? Can’t it backfire one day and trash my career?

It’s a completely different mindset, probably difficult to grasp for people living their whole life in a free society.
I agree with you. totalitarian reachs to a new level now. They are in great fear now. so they choose to do more lawless things to make them feel safe. But after those outlaws have been done. They have more fear. So they decided to do more bad. very sad. many chinese people have very happy life now. But many richs and those in the regime live in hopeless and with great fear. May have mercy on them.
03-05-2023, 09:26 AM
Hi Slabco,

what is it that you need exactly ? Android seems to be what you are looking for, if I'm not mistaken - however I'm unsure if you are looking for Free42 or Plus42 by looking at the whole thread above. Plus42 is a paid app and no sideloading APK is available, so the Playstore will be your only option in that case. If you are looking for the latest Free42 sideloading APK I'm willing to help. In that case, please indicate a place you will be able to access and we might work something out. As far as I understand, by now, you have the manual.

Jan
03-05-2023, 06:34 PM
(03-05-2023 05:35 AM)slabco Wrote:  Hi Eric!
Your site is very very good! I got a lot of things from the site. Thank you very much! God bless you!
Why do you stop updating it after August 31th? Since thomasokken.com blocked in my country I can only download free42's android version from your site. Now fres42's 3.0.17 version is out. I can only use 3.0.14 version. Sad
And you said many new functions will be added to free42. I think those functions are very useful. It's seems free42 don't have any of them until now.

Thanks. Two reasons:

1. I have been focusing my time on literature.hpcalc.org instead, with many new books added since then.

2. Very few new/updated programs have been sent to me for hpcalc.org since then. Aside from
the programs I have to hunt down and update myself, only about 10 have been sent to me by others since then. I usually like to have more before I do an update.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2023, 03:45 AM
(03-05-2023 09:26 AM)JanS Wrote:  Hi Slabco,

what is it that you need exactly ? Android seems to be what you are looking for, if I'm not mistaken - however I'm unsure if you are looking for Free42 or Plus42 by looking at the whole thread above. Plus42 is a paid app and no sideloading APK is available, so the Playstore will be your only option in that case. If you are looking for the latest Free42 sideloading APK I'm willing to help. In that case, please indicate a place you will be able to access and we might work something out. As far as I understand, by now, you have the manual.
Thank you for your kindness! I am finding a good calculator for my work. I found the free42 is very good. It has large memory for use. But it cann't do some bit operations to integers. It doesn't have bit setting, bit clear, bit testing functions. These functions are very useful for me. I heard that Plus42 adds some hp-16c's functions. hp16c has many bit operation functions. So I was seraching the manual to see what exactly those functions are. It seems Plus42 doesn't have those functions still. Since free42 can set clear and test the flags why don't allow it to do the same to integer? It's the same thing I think. It is very easy to add thoes functions to Plus42 I think.
I hope if someone can persuade Thomas Okken to include those bit operation functions in Plus42. Then I 'll try to purchase one. That is the best I want.
I think those functions might make Plus42 become a great thing.If Thomas doesn't want to do that. I want to use wp34s to do some my work which nees bit operations. Someone helped me to get wp34s's manual.
Now I have Free42's 3.0.14 version apk. It's good for use. 3.0.17 version might have some bugs fixed. There is a place I am able to access. It's Eric's site hpcalc.org. Hope someone can sent it to Eric.
03-10-2023, 03:58 AM
(03-05-2023 06:34 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 05:35 AM)slabco Wrote:  Hi Eric!

Thanks. Two reasons:

1. I have been focusing my time on literature.hpcalc.org instead, with many new books added since then.

2. Very few new/updated programs have been sent to me for hpcalc.org since then. Aside from
the programs I have to hunt down and update myself, only about 10 have been sent to me by others since then. I usually like to have more before I do an update.

Good news for me. I was guessing somehing bad happened to you or in the 25 years Celebrating. I should be more optimistic. Smile May God help with. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)