HP-IL newbie question
02-13-2023, 11:23 PM
HP-IL newbie question
Hi All,

I am wanting to test some old HP-IL devices I have, a 82162 printer and a 82161 tape drive. I have a 41CX+IL module and a 71B with IL module I can use for testing.

Can some one please share some minimal code/instructions to help me do some basic testing on these two devices ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2023, 01:01 AM
RE: HP-IL newbie question
(02-13-2023 11:23 PM)Johnboy Wrote:  I am wanting to test some old HP-IL devices I have, a 82162 printer and a 82161 tape drive. I have a 41CX+IL module and a 71B with IL module I can use for testing.

HP-41C → HP 82160A HP-IL Module Owner's Manual → Sections 1 to 3
Contains a nice introduction with examples for the HP-IL interface and some peripherals (printer, mass storage, etc)

HP-71B → HP 82401A HP-IL Owner's Manual → Part I: Overview
Contains a nice introduction with examples for the HP-IL interface and some peripherals (printer, mass storage, etc)
02-14-2023, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2023 09:38 AM by Johnboy.)
Thanks Sylvain, I managed to print the value of a variable with the 71b, but I can't seem to get the 41cx to do anything, I am always seeing "Transmit Err", and FS? 55 always NO.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
John
02-14-2023, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2023 03:37 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello John,

(02-14-2023 09:34 AM)Johnboy Wrote:  I managed to print the value of a variable with the 71b
Great!

(02-14-2023 09:34 AM)Johnboy Wrote:  I can't seem to get the 41cx to do anything, I am always seeing "Transmit Err" ...
You generally get this error when the loop continuity is broken.

I cannot do a physical test right now, I am not at home, from memory, try this loop continuity test.
Code:
1) create an empty loop by connecting both interface cable together.
2) press: [XEQ] [ALPHA] AUTOIO [ALPHA]
3) press: [ON]                            // calculator off
4) press: [ON]                            // calculator on
No error message should appears and/or calculator wakeup should be fast.
If calculator wakeup take a long time, you may have a defective module/cable.

(02-14-2023 09:34 AM)Johnboy Wrote:  ... and FS? 55 always NO.
Check that the printer switch is in ENABLE position. (like the image below)
[Image: 82160A.jpg]

My time is UTC-5h, I will post more testing scenarios tonight when I am back home.

Sylvain
02-15-2023, 04:15 AM
Hi Sylvain, yeah I was thinking the loop might be broken with the 82160. I have a few of them, so I can try one of those instead.

Also, I did check the switch on the module is set to "enable".

Any other tests you can share would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers,
John
02-15-2023, 04:17 AM
In loopback mode (interface cable plugged together, no peripheral)
Code:
[XEQ] [ALPHA] PWRDN [ALPHA]
The above command send a loop power down message across the loop.
No message will be displayed if the interface and cable are working correctly.
Message "TRANSMIT ERR" will be displayed if the interface and/or cable is defective.
02-16-2023, 04:51 AM
Great, thanks for that tip regarding testing my 82160 Sylvain.

I found I had 2 other 82160 modules, and both work much better, I can now execute PRSTK etc from the 41 to the printer, so all good !!

Now to test my tape drives (2).

Cheers,
John
02-16-2023, 09:00 AM
Hi,
'TRANSMIT ERR' may also be caused by bad contacs of the port / IL-Module.
Cleaning can help.

Turn on the IL device first then the HP-41. If it takes more than 1 second until you see the HP-41 prompt, there may be a problem in the loop. This is my check :-)

There can be some incompatiblies with other modules as well, but i assume you have only the Il-module plugged in.

To test the tape, just XEQ 'DIR' on the HP-41 this should show the content of the tape.

If you get a 'MEDM ERR' please check the tape first. There is a little felt "pillow" to press the tape smooth on the head. This felt is sometimes gone or the glue has been dissolved.

To fix this:
You can pull out the tape carefully one inch with a non magnetic wooden or ceramic screwdriver and clean everything and put some new piece of double stick tape on the felt.

Ralf
02-16-2023, 09:54 AM
Thanks Ralf, just to confirm, that foam piece is in the tape not the drive - right ?

Thanks
John
02-16-2023, 12:04 PM
yes in the tape, not the drive i make a photo.
Ralf
02-16-2023, 12:48 PM
Picture of the tape with the foam to be replaced or re-glued

Also ...
02-16-2023, 03:21 PM
(02-16-2023 09:00 AM)Hiwi Wrote:  If you get a 'MEDM ERR' please check the tape first. There is a little felt "pillow" to press the tape smooth on the head. This felt is sometimes gone or the glue has been dissolved.

To fix this:
You can pull out the tape carefully one inch with a non magnetic wooden or ceramic screwdriver and clean everything and put some new piece of double stick tape on the felt.

Ralf

I used two layers of the self adhesive felt pink hearts from the local craft store.

[Image: uc?export=download&id=1bvbEjWc8d...s68oi95YOy]

Dave
03-06-2023, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2023 10:00 AM by Johnboy.)
(02-16-2023 12:04 PM)Hiwi Wrote:  yes in the tape, not the drive i make a photo.
Ralf

Trying to repair a tape now, but I can't seem to remove all the crumbled foam from the springy mount inside the cassette.

I haven't solvents, or mechanical scraping, only tried repeated pressing with a thin strip of double sided sticky tape.

Any clues on how to do that ?

Also, with the foam/felt combo, what should the total thinkness be like ? Like twice as think as the felt ? or more ??

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks
John
03-06-2023, 02:16 PM
1. Open the cassette using a flat blade screwdriver or other suitable tool.

2. Remove spring and clean with isopropyl alcohol. Medical or industrial grade work best.

3. Trim two pieces of self-adhesive felt and apply to the spring. The felt pad should just touch the tape when installed. Thickness is about 1/8 inch.

4. Reinstall spring and snap the halves of the cassette case back together. Do not glue.

Using this method you can repair one spring and move it from cassette to cassette.

It should be mentioned that all cassette tapes are old and have undergone varying degrees of deterioration depending on how they were stored. It is suggested that this method only be used to recover the data and that images of the tape be used for daily use.

Dave
03-07-2023, 08:35 AM
Thanks Dave. I was kinda hoping to do it without opening the case, I'm not good with tiny parts ☺️.

Can it be done without opening the case ?

Thanks
John
03-10-2023, 03:35 AM
I try to get all the old glue off the spring. That requires some firm pressure and I'm not sure if it's possible without removing the spring. Also, is it really necessary to remove all of the old glue? In any case, be careful to not get any alcohol on the tape.

Dave
03-10-2023, 05:25 AM
Thanks Dave,

I managed to clean the spring part by holding it up with an L shape piece of metal (a thin stainless steel headphone band from an old set of headphones) that could slip in under the spring. I put a hook in the other end so my finger can pull gently while I apply pressure to the spring to clean it. My tool for cleaning was a bamboo kebab stick that I sanded back to a wedge shape at the end. I dipped that in isopropanol, scrapped while holding the spring with my "L hook tool", then removed the greenish sludge using a cotton tip. I did that a few times, and now the brass rectangle on the spring is clean as !

Cheers,
John
03-20-2023, 11:43 AM
Fixed my tape, tested my tape drive - all good !

Thanks all for helping.

Cheers,
John
03-20-2023, 11:52 AM
To answer the question regarding removing rests to glue, dirt, dust and gum under the tape you can use a pair of bellows used often for cleaning lenses:
[attachment=11858]

/41/48/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)