n-solve character limit workaround (TI-30X Pro MP)
02-13-2023, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2023 01:37 PM by wb.c.)
n-solve character limit workaround (TI-30X Pro MP)
This isn't always a issue I run into a lot, but the other day I had an equation that was a bit too long for the n-solve input, which is about 57 characters on one side and 1 on the other. The curser will become checkered/grey when you have about 13 characters left. Total of about 58 characters however you want to split it. This has been a point often raised by Casio fx-991ex users, as being a big advantage in favor of the Casio (you can enter longer equation to solve).

On the TI however, within table you can define f(x) and g(x), each containing up to about 110 characters each. You can then input both f(x) and g(x) into n-solve and solve. Additionally, you can add more characters to n-solve while using f(x) and g(x), about 48 additional characters.

This totals out to about a 268 character limit for an equation in n-solve, in addition to the equals sign. This was tested in classical entry mode to keep things simple. Haven't tested it, but MathPrint entry seems to be more limited, and it seems that certain characters are bigger (i.e. "e^(" seems to be equivalent to about 9 simple characters like + or 1).

For reference, it seems that Casio fx-991ex can handle about 197 characters on one side of the equals and 1 character on the other.

Anyways, just an interesting point that probably needs more testing to determine exact values, but this is just an initial attempt.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)