HP Prime is so powerful.
04-01-2024, 08:21 PM
HP Prime is so powerful.
More than 40 years ago I made a program on my HP 41 to solve N nonlinear equations using Newton's method on Jacobian matrices.
It has helped me a lot in electronics engineering.
Now I discovered that my HP Prime can do the same with a single command (fsolve) instantly.
/Stephen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2024, 01:05 PM
RE: HP Prime is so powerful.
The 1979 HP-34C LED calculator had Solve included as a keystroke, 45 years ago.
I'm guessing this would do the same thing?
04-02-2024, 01:20 PM
MinkLib wrote:
Quote:The 1979 HP-34C LED calculator had Solve included as a keystroke, 45 years ago.
I'm guessing this would do the same thing?

The SOLVE functionality of HP34C (and later likewise the SOLVE functionality of the HP 15C) solved one linear or nonlinear equation. It could not solve an equation which used SOLVE again. So solving 10 nonlinear equations was not possible.
04-02-2024, 09:31 PM
(04-01-2024 08:21 PM)stephen Wrote:  Now I discovered that my HP Prime can do the same with a single command (fsolve) instantly.
/Stephen

The HP Prime is a very capable machine. In spite of the opinions of those who wish it were a mere recreation of their favourite 1980s calculator.
04-03-2024, 02:11 AM
(04-02-2024 09:31 PM)8031Brown Wrote:  
(04-01-2024 08:21 PM)stephen Wrote:  Now I discovered that my HP Prime can do the same with a single command (fsolve) instantly.
/Stephen

The HP Prime is a very capable machine. In spite of the opinions of those who wish it were a mere recreation of their favourite 1980s calculator.

Anyone that has ever used a Prime understands it's not only capable, but likely still the most capable calculator ever introduced, 11+ years after its introduction.

Most of the complaints and lack of enthusiasm are because it is so drastically different from favorite 70/80/90's machines. Those were crafted and optimized as top-quality tools for professional Engineers and Scientists for general-purpose problem solving, whereas the Prime is aimed at High School and (to a lesser extent) college students, where the curriculum is very narrow, well defined and has many discrete topics, taught as unrelated lessons (aka "apps").

It's easy to not appreciate something that is soo different from the thing one loves. But to your point, it does not mean that the new thing is not good.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)