HP11C Repair
02-17-2023, 09:10 PM
HP11C Repair
So I managed to repair the HP11C and am now reassembling it... As part of the repair I had to completely remove the PCB to access the underside traces so had to cut the top of all the heat stakes as I went (see attached).

What is the best way to hold the device together now? I could possibly superglue the top of each stake? Or ignore the stakes and try and pad the case somehow to produce forward pressure?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2023, 07:50 AM
RE: HP11C Repair
(02-17-2023 09:10 PM)NivagSwedna Wrote:  So I managed to repair the HP11C and am now reassembling it... As part of the repair I had to completely remove the PCB to access the underside traces so had to cut the top of all the heat stakes as I went (see attached).

What is the best way to hold the device together now? I could possibly superglue the top of each stake? Or ignore the stakes and try and pad the case somehow to produce forward pressure?

Any suggestions appreciated!

A hot glue gun might be a good way to repair this .It's commonly used to hold large components or wiring in place and is easy to remove if you ever need to go back in.
02-18-2023, 08:14 AM
You may also try to maintain the keyboard plate in place by forcing some thin metal "needles" between each PCB hole and the corresponding heat stake as described here.
02-18-2023, 04:53 PM
I managed to get it to all hang together by using UV cure glue (Bostik Flash & Fix) onto the heads of the stakes. Seems to work pretty well!

Battery leakage damage and surprisingly the clock trace under the processor had been destroyed... perhaps due to leakage but it is a long way across the board.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-22-2023, 08:13 PM
Nice job on this! Repairing these models is tricky.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2023, 09:59 AM
Well done !

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)