SM forums not working?
03-17-2023, 05:08 PM
SM forums not working?
Last night, they seemed slow, and today I'm only getting: 504 Gateway Time-out

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2023, 05:55 PM
RE: SM forums not working?
Same…
03-17-2023, 06:15 PM
Yep! me too ...
03-17-2023, 07:57 PM
https://forum.swissmicros.com/index.php

Seems to be loading ok for me at the moment.
03-17-2023, 07:59 PM
I was on it a minute ago and had no problem.  TOS however is having problems, possibly from ice taking down the lines.  It has nothing to do with the hosting or the site itself, only the connection.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2023, 09:40 PM
Interesting, it's still broken for me right now. Perhaps intermittent, or Geo-specific.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
03-17-2023, 09:59 PM
Above, I had written,
Quote:I was on it a minute ago and had no problem.  TOS however is having problems, possibly from ice taking down the lines.  It has nothing to do with the hosting or the site itself, only the connection.

Now it's not working for me either.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
03-17-2023, 11:24 PM
Not working here in Australia now so must be intermittent with error message:

504 Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)
03-17-2023, 11:50 PM
I've contacted Michael, so it will be back up as soon as issue(s) are resolved.

Thx for reporting.

Both TOS and SM site being down on the same day is truly odd, no doubt penance for the lower than normal level of PI day activity earlier this week...

--Bob Prosperi
03-18-2023, 03:47 AM
(03-17-2023 11:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Both TOS and SM site being down on the same day is truly odd, no doubt penance for the lower than normal level of PI day activity earlier this week...

You tell me ! ... In 2022, 2021 and 2020 my Pi Day Special threads got 21, 40 and 21 replies espectively.

This year, my SRC #013 - Pi Day 2023 Special has got only 4 replies so far, probably indicating a serious lack of interest in Pi Day, or in my Special thread, or both ... Sad

I need a rest ... Smile

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

03-18-2023, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 10:48 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
Answer from https://forum.swissmicros.com now:
"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
No such file or directory [2002]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

UPDATE: running.
03-18-2023, 01:42 PM
Hello!

(03-18-2023 03:47 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  ... probably indicating a serious lack of interest in Pi Day, or in my Special thread, or both ...

As far as I am concerned: No interest in Pi Day (I am proud to live in a part of the world where we write dates the proper way and therefore have no Pi days ;-) ) and as usual too unsmart to contribute to your challenge. Which of course I read and tried to understand!

Regards
Max
03-18-2023, 05:37 PM
As I'm sure you've all noticed, the SM forums seem to be OK now, so let's get back to Valentin's thread Smile

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
03-18-2023, 07:57 PM
(03-18-2023 03:47 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 11:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Both TOS and SM site being down on the same day is truly odd, no doubt penance for the lower than normal level of PI day activity earlier this week...

You tell me ! ... In 2022, 2021 and 2020 my Pi Day Special threads got 21, 40 and 21 replies espectively.

This year, my SRC #013 - Pi Day 2023 Special has got only 4 replies so far, probably indicating a serious lack of interest in Pi Day, or in my Special thread, or both ... Sad

I need a rest ... Smile

Best regards.
V.

I wouldn't take it personally, there does seem to be a general decline in activity across discussion forums on the Internet. A lot of people seem to have moved over to Facebook and other social media websites.
03-19-2023, 04:12 AM
(03-18-2023 03:47 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  This year, my SRC #013 - Pi Day 2023 Special has got only 4 replies so far, probably indicating a serious lack of interest in Pi Day, or in my Special thread, or both ... Sad

Much interest here, but I didn't want to clutter up the thread with a reply until I had a working program, and I'm not there yet. Your articles are always interesting!
03-20-2023, 12:00 AM
Hi, Maximilian Hohmann, HP-12C and brouhaha,

Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:As far as I am concerned: No interest in Pi Day (I am proud to live in a part of the world where we write dates the proper way and therefore have no Pi days ;-) ) and as usual too unsmart to contribute to your challenge. Which of course I read and tried to understand!

Here in Spain we also "write dates the proper way" (day, month, year) but there you are.

And thanks for your interest. I seriously doubt you are "too unsmart" at anything, lest of all this simple Pi Day challenge. I like how a physical 40-year old, tiny HP-71B (as compared to any PC of its time) can solve it for N = 1 billion (109) in just about 1 hour.

HP-12C Wrote:I wouldn't take it personally, there does seem to be a general decline in activity across discussion forums on the Internet. A lot of people seem to have moved over to Facebook and other social media websites.

I wouldn't join Facebook if they threatened to shoot me. And yes, there's a decline in activity: why take the trouble to post anything when you can be watching cute videos on YouTube nonstop.

brouhaha Wrote:Much interest here, but I didn't want to clutter up the thread with a reply until I had a working program, and I'm not there yet. Your articles are always interesting!

Thank you very much for your interest and kind words, the equivalent of a big hug for me.

I'll post my two original solutions tomorrow Monday at 10 PM GMT+1, one optimized for speed (4 lines) and the other for RAM used (3 lines) and capable of solving the challenge for N up to 1 trillion - 1 (i.e., 1012 - 1 = 999,999,999,999, "MAXINT".)

Enough hijacking this thread, best regards to all of you. Smile
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

03-20-2023, 01:06 AM
I tend to write last 2 digits of year2 digit month2 digit day[2 digit UTC HOUR2 digit minute] with no spaces. This format is sometimes used to time stamp a meteorological analysis or satellite image. Now: 2303200107
03-20-2023, 01:13 AM
Thinking back, I began this practice 50 years ago as a freshman in college!
03-20-2023, 01:49 AM
Quote:(I am proud to live in a part of the world where we write dates the proper way and therefore have no Pi days ;-) ) and as usual too unsmart to contribute to your challenge. Which of course I read and tried to understand!

It has to do with how we say the date; for example, New Year's Day is "January first," and Christmas Day is "December twenty-fifth."  Apparently our military says "one January," and I think, "Of course!  How many Januaries did you expect to see in a year, anyhow?!"

Quote:there does seem to be a general decline in activity across discussion forums on the Internet. A lot of people seem to have moved over to Facebook and other social media websites.

I got off of facebook a couple of years ago because of its censorship.  It has various problems as a forum too though, as there's no categorization, no way to do code listings with monospace and white space, poor search, no ability for a lot of the features we enjoy here, like inlined images, bold, underline, italics, hypertext links, etc., and fb seems to think that nothing over a week old matters anymore.

On another forum I moderate, a new member expressed pleasant surprise that it was quite active, and said he thought the same thing as above, that phpBB-style forums were dying and everyone was going to these other less-suitable platforms.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)