HP 41 Bluetooth
03-18-2023, 08:20 AM
HP 41 Bluetooth
Hallo,

i have got an idea.

For the Coconut there are a lot of modules available.

So I think it would be nice if there was a module which make it possible to use the HP 41 as a input device for Computers via Bluetooth.

That device could substitute an Number pad for computers . It would combine tradition with modernity.

What did you think about such an module? Did you know something about such an Module?

With kind regards
Juergen Richter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2023, 11:59 AM
RE: HP 41 Bluetooth
There is no such module available, but I agree it would be really nice to have one of these; in fact, I'd probably purchase more than one as soon as available.

In my case however I would use it for moving ROM images back and forth from the 41 to a PC, something which even in 2023 is still not simple, even with the latest HP-IL storage emulators, 41CL, etc. etc.

--Bob Prosperi
03-20-2023, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 06:20 PM by Diego Diaz.)
Hi Juergen, Robert,

Such a BT module will indeed pose a great addition to the always growing set of peripherals for the 41 system.

Nonetheless, the 'simple' .ROM file transfer to/from 41<>PC can be done with just a USB-41 configured with option "HP<>PC pg. transfer" available in the ClonixConfig ver 6.1 and its companion utility "USB-41-5.exe".

Not as convenient as a wireless BT interface but still fully functional. :-)

Best wishes from the Canary Islands.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
03-21-2023, 06:43 PM
And such transfer works mostly under windows, not as seamless / easy under macos or linux….

So BT would be real nice!

Cheers,

PeterP
03-21-2023, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 08:08 PM by brouhaha.)
I have a lot of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) expertise, and could possibly work on such a thing. What king of user experience would people expect of such a product?

I can imagine several scenarios:

1. BLE module acts like an HP-IL module, using the HP-IL and printer XROM numbers and commands, with the connected computer acting like HP-IL devices: mass storage (disk, tape), printer. Drawback: can't be used simultaneously with actual HP-IL or printer

2. Like #1, but assigned different XROM numbers. Drawback: can't use standard printer functions for Bluetooth. Advantage: can use simultaneously with HP-IL and other printers.

3. Has some entirely new command set we invent
03-22-2023, 08:41 AM
In my opinion the best thing would be something that emulates HP-IL, as this is already fully integrated in the HP41 ecosystem with several emulators on the host side.

Regards, Meindert
03-22-2023, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2023 10:50 AM by ThomasF.)
I also have had this idea going on in my head for a while (using either BT or WiFi) to connect the 41 to the rest of the world.
Makeing a wireless HPIL would be great, but also a huge effort as I see it.
A simpler way would be to build a "NoV-WiFi", using the work by Diego but replacing the I2C RAM with ie an ESP32 as a I2C slave. Then the 41 could access memory in the ESP, at the same time the ESP could be read or written to by an external device (ie a PC using WiFi or BT).
Just an idea, I have not checked if the timing would be possible, but if working we could copy ram-pages back and forth wirelessy with a very small footprint ...

Just my 2 cents ...

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
03-22-2023, 10:47 AM
I am waiting for Tony's BT: after Classics, Topcats and Spices maybe he will tackle the 41 too...

:)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2023, 11:12 AM
(03-21-2023 07:30 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  I have a lot of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) expertise, and could possibly work on such a thing. What king of user experience would people expect of such a product?

I can imagine several scenarios:

1. BLE module acts like an HP-IL module, using the HP-IL and printer XROM numbers and commands, with the connected computer acting like HP-IL devices: mass storage (disk, tape), printer. Drawback: can't be used simultaneously with actual HP-IL or printer

2. Like #1, but assigned different XROM numbers. Drawback: can't use standard printer functions for Bluetooth. Advantage: can use simultaneously with HP-IL and other printers.

3. Has some entirely new command set we invent

I like the idea of HP-IL as probably the most seamless experience. I am not sure however about HP-IL emulators for MacOS and/or Linux. With the majority of emulators being windows/Dos based I have had a hard time connecting my hp41 to a computer and/or run 41/71 emulators. But that seems a more isolated user problem, which can be solved with virtual machines etc.

Cheers,

PeterP
03-22-2023, 12:12 PM
(03-22-2023 11:12 AM)PeterP Wrote:  I am not sure however about HP-IL emulators for MacOS and/or Linux.
Python IL Peripherals (pyILPR) has been available for years and it runs on macOS/Linux/Windows.
03-31-2023, 01:54 PM
(03-18-2023 11:59 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is no such module available, but I agree it would be really nice to have one of these; in fact, I'd probably purchase more than one as soon as available.

In my case however I would use it for moving ROM images back and forth from the 41 to a PC, something which even in 2023 is still not simple, even with the latest HP-IL storage emulators, 41CL, etc. etc.

Just collecting some thoughts about this topic for a potential new project. What would be your ideal solution for moving ROM images back and forth? Personally I am OK with the serial transfers to my HP41CL, I must admit that you have to remember the physical address and enter information on both the HP41CL and the host computer. That is where I make typing mistakes or forget to set the correct baud rate or comms delay.

Regards, Meindert
04-01-2023, 02:57 AM
(03-31-2023 01:54 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  Just collecting some thoughts about this topic for a potential new project. What would be your ideal solution for moving ROM images back and forth? Personally I am OK with the serial transfers to my HP41CL, I must admit that you have to remember the physical address and enter information on both the HP41CL and the host computer. That is where I make typing mistakes or forget to set the correct baud rate or comms delay.

My ideal solution would bypass any dependency on a connection to a PC and use WiFi to connect to programs and module images served across the internet. Battery life would be be a concern with WiFi so a larger form factor similar to the 41 card reader could bring along extra battery capacity. An example of what can be done is WIC64 which connects a Commodore 64 directly to a server on the internet to download many different applications.

Try CC41!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)