Prime Keyboard Reappraised
03-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Prime Keyboard Reappraised
I've just had a cataract operation & had a fresh look at my two Primes, one bought in 2013, the other in November 2017.

The earlier keyboard is still awfully hard to read, the newer is realistically usable.

I have been using a 50g all the time, the small print was difficult but manageable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2023, 09:10 PM
RE: Prime Keyboard Reappraised
Thanks for the reappraisal.

I have a G1 and G2 and will soon undergo cataract surgery. Looking forward to an easier to read keyboard at least for the G2.
05-13-2023, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2023 09:55 AM by jonmoore.)
The choice of matching the Alpha Key colour to render the A-Z legends on the keys is the main aspect that spoils the Prime G2 UX. It works well enough when viewed with the Prime place on a desk in front of the user (as long as the mirrored surface of the prime isn't reflecting a light source). The slanted front to HP calculator keys was originally devised for exactly that purpose. Unfortunately the LCD on the Prime has such a shallow viewing angle, one tends to use the Prime at a perpendicular viewing angle, and at that angle the A-Z legends can be difficult to read if the lighting conditions aren't ideal.

However one aspect of the G2 keyboard is a huge improvement over the original Prime, and that's that the legend rendering on the keys have proved to be robust over time (the original prime keys smeared far too easily). There are three Primes G2's in our household, two of which go through the daily abuse of our teenage kids, and all are bearing up well.
05-14-2023, 12:32 AM
Read the OP does not care for the font size. For me the problem is the lack of contrast.

My humble opinion is the 41 key color and font was a home run. Dark keys, light color fonts makes for excellent readability. Meh on the above key color choice (solved with black on light color stock overlay).

Have a G2 and the blue on white looks OK (darker blue than the G1). The G1 blue is too light. The G1 grey numeric keys, I rate them a contrast failure.

The orange on white G2 or the G1 makes me suffer.

The black keys and blue text too is a problem.
05-14-2023, 03:55 PM
If the orange of the Alpha keys would be changed to dark red it would be much better.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)