Is wiki4hp.com still valuable for anyone? Looking for opinions...
03-23-2023, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2023 04:57 PM by bbergman.)
Is wiki4hp.com still valuable for anyone? Looking for opinions...
Howdy --

I have run wiki4hp.com since 2009, and I believe it served the community well. In the early days, it was the go-to location for information on the 20b and 30b, and helped move along several repurposing projects at that time. There have been many very dedicated contributors, but in the past few years, activity has waned. Part of that is simply folks not knowing about it.

Anyhow, the domain is up for renewal again and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping it alive, or just closing it down and calling it quits. If anyone has an opinion either way, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2023, 05:19 PM
RE: Is wiki4hp.com still valuable for anyone? Looking for opinions...
Thank you for running it all these years. I have referenced the 20b/30b/34s and ARM 12C pages many times, including recently. I'm guessing that the cost of the domain renewal isn't your biggest concern, but nevertheless I'll offer to pay for it.
03-23-2023, 06:06 PM
(03-23-2023 05:19 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  Thank you for running it all these years. I have referenced the 20b/30b/34s and ARM 12C pages many times, including recently. I'm guessing that the cost of the domain renewal isn't your biggest concern, but nevertheless I'll offer to pay for it.

Thanks, that's very generous. Smile But true, I'm not concerned about cost; I host dozens of domains on my servers, so it's a drop in a very large bucket. Just wondering if the content is valuable in the future.
03-23-2023, 08:34 PM
I agree with Eric, it is definitely worth preserving as an online resource. I've visited it myself several times in the last year and while I can understand traffic may have slowed, I assume the logs can reveal just how often it is accessed.

I too would be happy to contribute to the costs to keep it up. Please either post, or let me know by email how/where to send a contribution, as well as the cost per year (or some other rate) to have a good feel from how much it will take to keep it going.

Also, thank you for creating and maintaining this resource for many years!

--Bob Prosperi
03-23-2023, 10:02 PM
(03-23-2023 04:57 PM)bbergman Wrote:  H
Anyhow, the domain is up for renewal again and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping it alive, or just closing it down and calling it quits.

If it is possible before closing it I would like to save a dump of it (if you can provide it). I posted in the wiki a lot under the impression that it would have stayed online for a long time, and losing it at once would be somewhat frustrating.

I could also run a crawler on it if it is needed if a dump is not available.
But yes it is a pity that it wasn't used much.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
03-23-2023, 10:17 PM
Okay, honestly, if even a few of you still find it valuable, I'll keep it. Again, don't worry about the cost. Everyone is always generous here, but cost isn't an issue. I will renew and keep the site up.

I also received a few suggestions on things that need updating, so when I have a moment, I'll take care of those too.

When I have some additional time, I did talk with Eric R. about archiving off a point in time copy for the HHC flash drives, but haven't yet done that. And I know the flash drives are getting full these days too. Rest assured that the resource will be available live for now, and before it ever goes away fully, I'll make sure it's archived somewhere safe.

Thanks everyone!
Bruce
03-23-2023, 10:31 PM
(03-23-2023 10:02 PM)pier4r Wrote:  If it is possible before closing it I would like to save a dump of it (if you can provide it). I posted in the wiki a lot under the impression that it would have stayed online for a long time, and losing it at once would be somewhat frustrating.

I could also run a crawler on it if it is needed if a dump is not available.
But yes it is a pity that it wasn't used much.

I hope the site is kept up indefinitely; but archive.org archives most sites (but not video services nor most very active forums, IIRC), and the latest archive there is from eight days ago, at https://web.archive.org/web/202303150118...m/doku.php .

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-24-2023, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2023 11:00 AM by pier4r.)
(03-23-2023 10:17 PM)bbergman Wrote:  Rest assured that the resource will be available live for now, and before it ever goes away fully, I'll make sure it's archived somewhere safe.

Thanks everyone!
Bruce

That is great to hear!

edit: Garth yes, archive.org is always helpful, still I like distributed copies where possible (one never knows which server go down suddenly, ransomware or what not).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
03-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Great to hear the wiki will stay up!

In the case of a wiki, there are a couple of difficulties in resurrecting it from captures: one is the lack of the original markup, if the capture is only html, and the other is the possible lack of a contribution license which might make it difficult to republish.
03-24-2023, 05:16 PM
(03-23-2023 10:17 PM)bbergman Wrote:  When I have some additional time, I did talk with Eric R. about archiving off a point in time copy for the HHC flash drives, but haven't yet done that. And I know the flash drives are getting full these days too.

Now that the drive is 256 GB we have plenty of space again. And the size of your wiki is a rounding error on a drive that size so there can always be room made for it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)