48SX options
04-07-2023, 03:28 PM
48SX options
I find myself taking an exam with math for the first time this century and in need of a handheld. No phones, no computers allowed type thing. "No Problem, I'll just pull out my trusty 48SX" I thought. S/N 3038Axxxxx After fresh batteries and blowing off some dust I've found the display is dim. Contrast works but doesn't help. I'm heartbroken, we've been thru a lot together and it's like losing an old friend.

I'm a huge fan of RPN and will need any replacement to be RPN. I use mostly emulators on my computers and phones with not much handheld use. I would prefer not to spend a lot for this one event. But then I don't want to have to remember "It's algebraic" when I should be focused on the exam.

I'm about two weeks out so any kind of repair path seems unlikely.

What are my options? Does HP have a lock on RPN? Used market for scientific types? Is this a common issue with a magical quick fix? Is HP repair available even if not in time for my exam, I can't part with the old girl and can't leave her like this.

TIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2023, 12:23 PM
RE: 48SX options
Hello!

(04-07-2023 03:28 PM)Phrede Wrote:  Does HP have a lock on RPN?

There never was any serious competition to HP in the sector of RPN calculators so I would say so. But there are not many models still in production or available in shops now (HP-12C, HP-35s (maybe out of production according to some threads here) and HP Prime). And most important of all, HP sold off it's entire calculator business. For Europe, it is now "Moravia" who get them produced and distribute them, the name of the company which does it for the Americas I have forgotten.

(04-07-2023 03:28 PM)Phrede Wrote:  Used market for scientific types?

Plenty on eBay and Amazon, both new and used. Prices are bordering on the insane though.

(04-07-2023 03:28 PM)Phrede Wrote:  Is this a common issue with a magical quick fix?

Yes: common. No: Magical fix

(04-07-2023 03:28 PM)Phrede Wrote:  Is HP repair available

No.

If I were you I would probably order an HP Prime from Amazon (if programmable graphics calculators are allowed in your exam), you'll pay somthing like 130 Dollars for it and have it on monday. Leaves you time to get used to it. Otherwise you can do the same with an HP-35s, but it is not remotely worth the crazy price they ask for it.

And if I myself had to do that exam in two weeks I would either use an HP from my collection (but not the 48SX because it sufferes from the same display issues than yours) or use one of the excellent products of the competion even if this involves the occasional pressing of an "=" key :-)

Regards
Max
04-08-2023, 02:53 PM
I recommend you get a used 48SX from eBay, there are many available there now, including several that are well under $100 with shipping included.

Taking a stressful test is no place for a new machine, even a similar one. And if you're thoroughly used to RPL, even a good RPN machine can feel "not quite right" under pressure.

Get a new 48SX and focus your available time on the study topic and the test, relax with a comfortable tool during the test, and enjoy having a new 48SX friend around after you pass the test.

And I have to strongly disagree with Max about selecting a Prime. Though an excellent machine for which it was designed, teaching High School kids Math, it is totally unsuited for use as an Engineer's tool, especially for an RPL user. Its RPN capability is primitive, non-intuitive and awkward to use at best, and trying to wrap your mind around it in time for a looming test will be impossible. Also, it costs more than a 48SX and you likely won't use for future work, unless you intend to go back to school or explore Python.

Just another viewpoint.

And good luck!

--Bob Prosperi
04-08-2023, 03:30 PM
If you're not using menus or shift options (which are in slightly different places) the 48g series is a good replacement for 48s- all the home keys are in the same place and have the same function.

Probably a little more expensive, but less prone to screen row/column outages.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

04-08-2023, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the input.

My biggest concern with buying used is getting one with the same faded display. Since it's been stated it's a common ailment.

I should note mine's not a column/row thing. It's a consistent lack of contrast across the entire screen.
04-08-2023, 06:29 PM
Hello!

(04-08-2023 02:53 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  And I have to strongly disagree with Max about selecting a Prime. Though an excellent machine for which it was designed, teaching High School kids Math, it is totally unsuited for use as an Engineer's tool, especially for an RPL user.

I suggested the Prime because Phrede never wrote about RPL, just RPN. But there is an easy way to find out: There still is the "HP Prime Lite" App available for Andoid and iOS free of charge to try it out!

Regards
Max
04-08-2023, 10:08 PM
I had all but forgotten about RPL or LISP. I did use it back in the day. Back when I did Fortran on punch cards.

For this brief use its more about input, maybe storing a few variables and standard scientific functions. No routines, constants, formulas or programs allowed. Having a stack is important.

I got a grin when I saw the whopping 128k memory card in it. Looks similar to PCMCIA. I also have an RS-232C cable I used a lot and used the IR too. It was a real powerhouse then. I've used RPN ever since even if not on that handheld.

I've got to solve a mystery about a HP charger I found that I thought went with it but obviously not. 3 pins in an Isoceles shape. Also stored with them was a Post slide rule that I thought about using for a hot second. The good old days.
04-09-2023, 01:25 AM
(04-08-2023 06:29 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I suggested the Prime because Phrede never wrote about RPL, just RPN. But there is an easy way to find out: There still is the "HP Prime Lite" App available for Andoid and iOS free of charge to try it out!

Although Phrede did indeed use RPN instead of RPL, if he was using a 48SX all along and his knowledge and experience is about that model, he was using RPL and not RPN, except in the narrowest definition of RPN. Most users that have not used both extensively will tend to call them both "RPN" but they are not the same.

RPL has an unlimited stack, does not replicate T upon stack drop, uses named variables (not registers), functions are found in modal menus, etc., etc. which are all vastly different than on any RPN machine.

My real point is simply use what you know; when stressed, reflexes are better than a 'better' tool which you probably don't know as well.

As for the GX vs. SX, I agree it's better and newer, but it definitely costs a lot more (~$100 more) and many of the differences are significant (when functions are on the keyboard, where they can be found in menus, etc.). For long-term use, I agree a GX is better, and a 50g even better than that, but the OP's stated goals and desired cost all seem to point to another 48SX from my viewpoint.

--Bob Prosperi
04-09-2023, 04:16 AM
A 48G (not GX) might be a good option too, because they tend to be a lot cheaper than the GX. The G series had much better displays than the S series, and if you get a very late model G series they had the black display from the 49G, which was even better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2023, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2023 06:24 AM by AndiGer.)
(04-08-2023 10:08 PM)Phrede Wrote:  I've got to solve a mystery about a HP charger I found that I thought went with it but obviously not. 3 pins in an Isoceles shape

My guess: charger for the classic series (35, 45, 55, 65, 67)

Edit:
https://www.keesvandersanden.nl/calculat...argers.php
04-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Here's a nice 48SX, with quite readable display, for $62, including shipping. The case is torn, but so what, you have a case.

I agree with Eric, if you can find a cheap 48G, that would probably do, I haven't looked for these yet, so no idea if any are available. But again, the G series are different, so if you go that way, spend time driving it around some, lots of menus, key loacations, etc were changed.

--Bob Prosperi
04-11-2023, 01:01 AM
(04-09-2023 12:03 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  ... key loacations, etc were changed.[sic]

I didn't realize until responding to my thread earlier that the unshifted keys between the 48S series and 48G series are all uniform.. The shifted keys and menus are different, but if you're using it for some standardized test, chances are very good that you might only need the most common (unshifted) functions, and even if you do, it's fast to type ALPHA _ _ _ ENTER rather than find the menu.. I do that anyway sometimes and I have almost 30 years experience with the 48 series! Smile

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

04-12-2023, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2023 03:43 PM by Hiwi.)
(04-09-2023 04:16 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  A 48G (not GX) might be a good option too...

Yes and it is expandable!
Actually you can buy the G model at low prices. If you have no difficulty to open the HP48, you can upgrade to 128 KB very simple, to 256k as well and 768k with minor solder experience.

4Mb is possible but only for professionel users.

IMHO 4Mb is not really recommended - what for ? :-)

Parts are common and under 10 Euros expensive.

There is a suitable way to open the HP48 without breaking it, using solvent to dissolve the keyboard overlay easily. I have done this upgrade already several times for me and friends.
Here you see a G model with 768K it has 5 ports with 128k each, and it has Metakernel installed.

[attachment=11967]

Ralf

/41/48/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)