Emu48/Android - Keyboard feedback
04-30-2023, 07:52 AM
Emu48/Android - Keyboard feedback
I use both real HP50 and emulated on Android phone (Honor 7x).
The emulator works great, but if compared to real calc the interaction with keyboard is really poor.
As a matter of fact user input on emulator is (for me) much slower and error-prone compared to real calc, mainly due to poor tactile feedback.
Same problem for HP48, partially mitigated by better keyboard layout.
Is there any way to improve Emu keyboard feedback?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2023, 10:35 AM
RE: Emu48/Android - Keyboard feedback
Using Emu 48 for 4 years now on a couple of mobiles. My 48GX runs really great on it.
I agree with you that an actual keyboard is better than touchscreens but I would not blame the haptic feedback but touchscreens themselves. I've always found the vibration (25-30 ms) very useful to realize when I lost a character.
Do you find this poor tactile feedback in other apps in your mobile or just in Emu48?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2023, 01:13 PM
(04-30-2023 10:35 AM)rlionspain Wrote:  Using Emu 48 for 4 years now on a couple of mobiles. My 48GX runs really great on it.
I agree with you that an actual keyboard is better than touchscreens but I would not blame the haptic feedback but touchscreens themselves. I've always found the vibration (25-30 ms) very useful to realize when I lost a character.
Do you find this poor tactile feedback in other apps in your mobile or just in Emu48?
It is more a matter of finger size vs keys size.
In physical calc I feel the key under my finger before pressing, on touch screen it is impossible and I often press the wrong key
04-30-2023, 09:45 PM
The only thing that gives me problems on the phone is when I have to "hold down" a shift key while pressing another. It's awkward and the phone often interprets the action as an attempt to resize the screen.

I think this is an inherent problem with touch screen interfaces, not with EMU48 in particular. This is why many of us prefer physical calculators.
05-01-2023, 01:13 AM
Emu48 for Android is just too sensitive for the screen-resize feature. I accidentally hit it all the time too. Maybe Regis can make it less sensitive in a future release...
05-01-2023, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2023 11:07 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
(04-30-2023 09:45 PM)John Keith Wrote:  The only thing that gives me problems on the phone is when I have to "hold down" a shift key while pressing another. It's awkward and the phone often interprets the action as an attempt to resize the screen.

I think this is an inherent problem with touch screen interfaces, not with EMU48 in particular. This is why many of us prefer physical calculators.

Because of this, I usually turn “Allow Pinch to zoom” off in the EMU48 settings. This is for my tablet which is large enough to comfortably see the entire calculator without zooming.

Edit: Also turning on the options to hide the Navigation and Status bars makes the calculator larger on small screens.
05-01-2023, 06:42 AM
(04-30-2023 09:45 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Because of this, I usually turn “Allow Pinch to zoom” off in the EMU48 settings.

Mee too; and "Fill screen" layout also seems avoid this kind of problems.

I'm really happy with this version of Emu. It works stunningly on my Pixel 6 with a beautiful and realistic picture. Thank you, Eric. ?
05-01-2023, 06:03 PM
(05-01-2023 06:42 AM)rlionspain Wrote:  I'm really happy with this version of Emu. It works stunningly on my Pixel 6 with a beautiful and realistic picture. Thank you, Eric. ?

I'm only a minor contributor. Regis did all the work for the Android port. The Windows version has been maintained by Christoph for close to 25 years. Initial development was Sebastien. Saturn+ enhancements were by Cyrille.

All I did was merge code to reconcile different code bases, fix a few minor bugs, add a few minor features, and make the KML/image skin and key setup.
05-01-2023, 06:14 PM
(05-01-2023 06:03 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  [

I'm only a minor contributor.

I know, I know... just referring to the picture and kml file in my previous post.
I know well Emu48 story and I'm using it for Wndows since... I can't remember! Just these 4 years in Android.
I've even been able to thank Regis for his work for Android.
The 48 with Metakernel, Erable, Alg48 and a lot of other stuff is a daily tool for me at work for more than 20 years, and running it on modern hardware is wonderful (in spite of the lack of an actual keyboard)
05-01-2023, 07:15 PM
(05-01-2023 03:25 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Because of this, I usually turn “Allow Pinch to zoom” off in the EMU48 settings.

Thanks, that's a big help. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)