Transfer files and update firmware without Connectivity Kit?
04-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Transfer files and update firmware without Connectivity Kit?
Can the Prime be mounted as a USB mass storage device, or is there any other way to transfer files between a Prime and a computer without using the Connectivity Kit?

Also, is there a way to update the Prime firmware by first putting the new firmware image file on the Prime? (Many devices that can behave as USB mass storage devices can update their firmware either automatically when they detect new firmware files in a particular directory, or on demand and I'm hoping that the Prime might be able to do this.)

I'm contemplating buying a Prime but the thought that I might never be able to update the firmware is giving me considerable pause.

[I don't have any machines running Windows or Mac OS; all my machines nowadays run GNU/Linux or GNU/Linux-Libre (and I don't run proprietary software on them) so unfortunately using the Connectivity Kit is ruled out.]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2021, 05:00 PM
RE: Transfer files and update firmware without Connectivity Kit?
The f/w can only be updated using the ConnKit, so you're out of luck.

Enjoy your GNU world, unspoiled by proprietary software, though that seems an arbitrary and capricious choice, given so much great, free software in the world today. Like the Prime ConnKit. I digress, and no offense meant.

--Bob Prosperi
04-14-2021, 10:01 PM
(04-14-2021 04:06 PM)nlj Wrote:  [I don't have any machines running Windows or Mac OS; all my machines nowadays run GNU/Linux or GNU/Linux-Libre (and I don't run proprietary software on them) so unfortunately using the Connectivity Kit is ruled out.]

I have heard it's possible to run the CK successfully in WINE.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-03-2023, 06:58 PM
(04-14-2021 10:01 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I have heard it's possible to run the CK successfully in WINE.

Tom L

Indeed it possible to run the Connectivity Kit in Wine. The problem is that by default Wine doesn't have access to one's USB devices. Therefore if you run the CK in Wine it cannot detect any connected calculators. As a result one cannot update one's calculator.

Now it might be possible to make one's USB devices accessible to Wine, but that seem to be all too easy.
05-04-2023, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2023 10:36 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(04-14-2021 04:06 PM)nlj Wrote:  Can the Prime be mounted as a USB mass storage device, or is there any other way to transfer files between a Prime and a computer without using the Connectivity Kit?

Also, is there a way to update the Prime firmware by first putting the new firmware image file on the Prime? (Many devices that can behave as USB mass storage devices can update their firmware either automatically when they detect new firmware files in a particular directory, or on demand and I'm hoping that the Prime might be able to do this.)

I'm contemplating buying a Prime but the thought that I might never be able to update the firmware is giving me considerable pause.

[I don't have any machines running Windows or Mac OS; all my machines nowadays run GNU/Linux or GNU/Linux-Libre (and I don't run proprietary software on them) so unfortunately using the Connectivity Kit is ruled out.]

regarding Connectivity Kit & Linux:
Please have a look at
https://bob.fr.to/r/calculators/comments...runs_fine/
(or other link using your preferred search engine.)
Also here in the forum:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17818.html

regarding your first question:
(Can the Prime be mounted as a USB mass storage device):
as far as I know, this option does not exist. But the manuals are freely available.
Please also adress your thoughts and wishes to Mr. Kuperus (Moravia) via PM or Mail:
klaas.kuperus@moravia-consulting.com
05-04-2023, 12:32 PM
A simple solution. Use a virtual machine for Windows, it will be useful for more.
05-04-2023, 04:24 PM
(05-04-2023 12:32 PM)RobbiOne Wrote:  A simple solution. Use a virtual machine for Windows, it will be useful for more.
Or the Android app, which updates easily and can cut-and-paste text (but lacks Python and may require the internet).

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)