NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
05-22-2024, 10:32 PM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
(05-22-2024 04:29 PM)Gene Wrote:  I have passed this issue along to the contact I have within Royal.

fYI

gene

Wow—thanks, Gene! Hopefully they'll be able to firm up the business, so that US sales can flourish. It's too late for me, but I suspect there's a whole new generation of science'y folks who would enjoy a 15c CE if given a chance. I'm all for supporting small businesses who satisfy niche needs. Also, one is never confident that warrantees will be honored on auction-site purchases, so I took a risk.

—Earle.

People achieve happiness by: "The exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in lives affording them scope." —Aristotle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2024, 11:56 PM
(05-22-2024 09:40 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Just chipping in about emulators, particularly for the Hp15c, on Android....<snip>

Wow! great info, Johnh, thanks!

—Earle.

People achieve happiness by: "The exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in lives affording them scope." —Aristotle.
05-23-2024, 02:52 AM
(05-22-2024 05:02 PM)Earle Grey Wrote:  [snip]
...Is there a forum on this site for emulators of this type? I saw a "not quite hp" category, and a "not remotely hp" category, but have not yet become fluent in everything here in the museum forums. So is there a place where the emulators are discussed, critiqued, and explored? If you could point me in the right direction, thank you.

—Earle.

Although it's sometimes hard to know which is best, and things end up in each other's sub-forums often without problems, the intent is for HP products themselves to be discussed in the General Forum and 3rd-party products (including other emulators) to be discussed in the "Not quite..." sub-forum.

The Android emulator actually is an HP (made) emulator, so most people would look to discuss it there. The Moravia branding is because Moravia (a Czech company which is the largest calculator distributor in Europe, (possibly the world?)) is the other official HP Calculator Licensee, which has the responsibility for product development.

If posting a topic which straddles both, e.g. comparing all emulators of a given model, that really could go in either place, but I'd likely look for that in the General Forum.

So, the rules are not absolute and we count on members making the choice which seems best for the intent of the discussion they are seeking. As a worst case, a thread could be moved, but this rarely is necessary.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

--Bob Prosperi
05-23-2024, 07:09 PM
(05-23-2024 02:52 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  <snip> ...the intent is for HP products themselves to be discussed in the General Forum and 3rd-party products (including other emulators) to be discussed in the "Not quite..." sub-forum.... <snip>

Super! Thank you for the guidance, Bob. Cheers!

—Earle.

05-29-2024, 12:05 AM
I see there is a HP16C mode available in the new HP15C CE calculator. While in HP16C mode, do the HP-16 format conversion programs in Appendix D of the original HP16 owners manual work correctly?

I hope I posted this in a reasonably correct forum.

Thanks, RichardO
05-29-2024, 12:08 PM
I expect the 16C mode to work just fine for those programs. While I've not specifically heard of anyone saying these do (or don't) work, 16C mode is running the original 16C ROM code, it's not some simple simulation. I've not heard of anything at all 16C mode will not do correctly, except some well-documented view modes (e.g. [f] [MEM]) that are supposed to stay on as long as the key is held down but in fact only display for 2 seconds or so, regardless of still holding the key down.

Be the first RPN fan on your block to get a 15c CE, access 16 mode, try out those programs and let everyone here know the outcome...

--Bob Prosperi
05-29-2024, 01:48 PM
(05-29-2024 12:05 AM)RichardO Wrote:  I see there is a HP16C mode available in the new HP15C CE calculator. While in HP16C mode, do the HP-16 format conversion programs in Appendix D of the original HP16 owners manual work correctly?

I hope I posted this in a reasonably correct forum.

Thanks, RichardO

There is a bug in the HP16c mode when representing DEC numbers - you can search about it in the forum. To fix that bug, there is a procedure explained here:

How to use the programming cable to fix the DEC bug
05-30-2024, 02:24 AM
Dang... I knew there was something else to mention....

Never answer your phone in the middle of writing a reply.

Thanks Jose!!

--Bob Prosperi
05-30-2024, 07:56 PM
There is unfortunately another issue reported in that thread: A bug of the HP-15C Collector's Edition running in HP-16C mode?

And I faced that issue today while taking with me the second HP15c CE that I own in the HP16c mode thanks to TheCalculatorStore for the overlay.

I was supposed to wait in a swimming pool bar after my daughters, waiting there for +/- 2 hours. I wanted to test the HP-16 format conversion programs in Appendix D. Unfortunately, when I removed the calculator from its case, it was ON and displaying a 254h value and... was completely frozen. Nobody in the bar was having a screwdriver for me to reset the calculator. I was therefore looking through the window the rest of the waiting time.

I will have a case with a screwdriver in the future.
05-31-2024, 01:53 AM
Suggest you simply remove the screw from the door when you have access to a proper small screwdriver. The screw is not needed to hold the door on (the same door didn't need one from 2011 'til today, right?) and was only added as some countries the unit will be sold in require such devices to have retained doors to prevent children from 'accidentally' swallowing the 2032 batteries.

--Bob Prosperi
05-31-2024, 04:01 AM
(05-31-2024 01:53 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  <snip> …The screw is not needed to hold the door on (the same door didn't need one from 2011 'til today, right?) and was only added as some countries the unit will be sold in require such devices to have retained doors to prevent children from 'accidentally' swallowing the 2032 batteries.

Wow! Is it possible to obtain battery doors without the screw moulding? I find the protrusion quite unpleasant and, so far, it is my only dislike in the 15c CE. Alternatively, has anyone had success shaving down the protrusion on the door, or filing/grinding it down, or cutting it off by use of some other tool? Of course I worry about the interior pigmentation of the plastic having an unsightly appearance.

—Earle.

05-31-2024, 06:59 AM
Indeed, good advice, thanks, not having the screw there would be nice in 'Voyage' mode ;-) However, I like the way the door is firmly held in place.

I was more reporting the main issue that has nothing to do with the screw, which is the freezing situation.

I know it is a NOMAS, but considering the issue is easily reproducible, is there any chance that
this could be addressed? I'll just wait and hope that it happens. :-)
05-31-2024, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 12:26 PM by Divasson.)
(05-31-2024 04:01 AM)Earle Grey Wrote:  
(05-31-2024 01:53 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  <snip> …The screw is not needed to hold the door on (the same door didn't need one from 2011 'til today, right?) and was only added as some countries the unit will be sold in require such devices to have retained doors to prevent children from 'accidentally' swallowing the 2032 batteries.

Wow! Is it possible to obtain battery doors without the screw moulding? I find the protrusion quite unpleasant and, so far, it is my only dislike in the 15c CE. Alternatively, has anyone had success shaving down the protrusion on the door, or filing/grinding it down, or cutting it off by use of some other tool? Of course I worry about the interior pigmentation of the plastic having an unsightly appearance.

—Earle.

Hi, we designed a 3D-printed version that has a tighter fit than the screwed one:

Voyager cover without screw

[Image: IMG_0447_en_tamano_mediano.jpeg]

Maybe you'll need it for more reasons than resetting it...

EDIT: as you may have noticed, the machine’s serial number is that of a prototype. It has been running with the original batteries for 14 months as my “to go” calculator, and I swapped them yesterday for the first time. Much better power consumption than the LE, although nothing can compete with the original voyagers.
05-31-2024, 12:00 PM
Jose beat me to answering about his replacement door. Smile

Jose always beats me, must be something about where he lives....

I don't handle my 15c CE daily, so the bump doesn't annoy me, so in my case just removing the screw was sufficient, but if it did, getting this new door would be an easy decision.

I don't have one of these so can't specifically comment on using it, but I have purchased and use many other products from thecalculatorstore.com and find them all to be of excellent quality and work just as intended.

--Bob Prosperi
05-31-2024, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 12:04 PM by linq2008.)
Buy old model HP 12C(2*CR2032) to replace。

(05-31-2024 06:59 AM)stilmant Wrote:  Indeed, good advice, thanks, not having the screw there would be nice in 'Voyage' mode ;-) However, I like the way the door is firmly held in place.

I was more reporting the main issue that has nothing to do with the screw, which is the freezing situation.

I know it is a NOMAS, but considering the issue is easily reproducible, is there any chance that
this could be addressed? I'll just wait and hope that it happens. :-)
05-31-2024, 04:50 PM
(05-31-2024 10:23 AM)Divasson Wrote:  
(05-31-2024 04:01 AM)Earle Grey Wrote:  Wow! Is it possible to obtain battery doors without the screw moulding? ...<snip>.

Hi, we designed a 3D-printed version that has a tighter fit than the screwed one:

Voyager cover without screw

[Image: IMG_0447_en_tamano_mediano.jpeg]

Maybe you'll need it for more reasons than resetting it...

EDIT: as you may have noticed, the machine’s serial number is that of a prototype. It has been running with the original batteries for 14 months as my “to go” calculator, and I swapped them yesterday for the first time. Much better power consumption than the LE, although nothing can compete with the original voyagers.

Thank you so much for the info and link, Divasson! I'll definitely be ordering. And no, I had not parsed-out the serial number on the image, but it is interesting. And good to know your battery-life experience, too. My current stash of CR 2032's includes some cheap generics that probably won't match yours, given what I've read elsewhere on this site. So I'll stick with the lithium Energizer ones I've set aside. Cheers!

—Earle.

05-31-2024, 04:57 PM
(05-31-2024 12:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Jose beat me to answering about his replacement door. Smile
<snip> ...but I have purchased and use many other products from thecalculatorstore.com and find them all to be of excellent quality and work just as intended.

Thank you for the encouraging recommendation, rprosperi !

—Earle.

05-31-2024, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 07:55 PM by Johnh.)
That's interesting about battery life on the Hp15C-CE from Divasson, so 14 months to the battery change. That's not bad, and it's the first info I've seen on actual battery life for these.

Does anyone have any other info on battery life for the 'CE, ? either from actual use, or predicted from current draw?

I'm interested because I get nervous after my Hp35s, which several times has run out of power before I noticed, and cleared itself. The CE has the same cells, but I'm hoping it will last longer than the 35s, which seems go about 9 months for me.
05-31-2024, 08:27 PM
Hello!

(05-31-2024 07:43 PM)Johnh Wrote:  The CE has the same cells, but I'm hoping it will last longer than the 35s, which seems go about 9 months for me.

If yours lasts 9 months then you have an exceptionally low-consumptions specimen of an HP-35s. One of mine does not even last 2 months on one set of batteries. We had threads about that many years ago and someone (Katie Wessman if I remember correctly) found out that leaking capacitors cause the rapid battery drain. They can be replaced quite easily, but I find it easier to take the batteries out of the calcultator... Let's hope they used better capacitors on the HP-15CE.

Regards
Max
05-31-2024, 10:33 PM
(05-31-2024 07:43 PM)Johnh Wrote:  I'm interested because I get nervous after my Hp35s, which several times has run out of power before I noticed, and cleared itself. The CE has the same cells, but I'm hoping it will last longer than the 35s, which seems go about 9 months for me.

FYI - the 35s is known to have this defect; power consumption when sitting idle is not as low as it should be (bug or weak design, I'm not sure) and units left aside for some time usually do consume all battery life and lose memory contents. Frustratingly, it's likely that if you changed the batteries, one at a time, before trying to turn it on, it would probably not lose RAM, but there's no way to know...

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)