HP 12C Plus
05-11-2023, 05:53 PM
HP 12C Plus
Hi all,

Picked up a HP 12C Plus on ebay recently, and it is on its way to me.

The ebay item listing made mention of revisions of the 12C Plus with a difference in the printing on the percentage key( a "long" % key print) with a flimsy keyboard, and that this one the seller was selling was not one of these, but that If I buy from Amazon I may get the flimsy key version ?

Also I paid £50 best offer.

Is the information about the flimsy keyboard version correct and did I or did I not overpay I wonder ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2023, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2023 11:08 AM by Mark H. Shin.)
RE: HP 12C Plus
In my experience, all the Rev 1 [ (c) 2008; 2008-06-28; Made In China] have the "tall" % key printing.

These have serial numbers beginning with CNA or 4CY. In additional to any keyboard problems, these have an unusually high failure rate for the LCD display segments. I personally have had at least 5 of these, 2 which I gave away, and 3 still in my possession.

If you purchased the Rev 1 [(c) 2008; 2012-04-03; Made In China] with serial number beginning with CNA, these have the "short" or normal sized % key printing, consider yourself lucky, as I have never seen one of these fail with display segments issue, nor experienced any problems with the keyboard.

You can verify by pressing g Enter, then ON to go into diagnostic mode. Then keep press 2, and 2 again, to determine checksum and year of manufacture.

As for the price, I'm afraid you may have overpaid, unless of course these may be rarer in the UK.

In the US, these can be had for anywhere from $10-$35 if you know what to look for-- 2 CR2032 battery, etc.
05-11-2023, 08:02 PM
(05-11-2023 07:13 PM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  In my experience, all the Rev 1 [ (c) 2008; Made In China] have the "tall" % key printing.

These have serial numbers beginning with CNA or 4CY. In additional to any keyboard problems, these have an unusually high failure rate for the LCD display segments. I personally have had at least 5 of these, 2 which I gave away, and 3 still in my possession.

If you purchased the Rev 1 [(c) 2012; Made In China] with serial number beginning with CNA, these have the "short" or normal sized % key printing, consider yourself lucky, as I have never seen one of these fail with display segments issue, nor experienced any problems with the keyboard.

You can verify by pressing g Enter, then ON to go into diagnostic mode. Then keep press 2, and 2 again, to determine checksum and year of manufacture.

As for the price, I'm afraid you may have overpaid, unless of course these may be rarer in the UK.

In the US, these can be had for anywhere from $10-$35 if you know what to look for-- 2 CR2032 battery, etc.

These are images from the listing:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-11-2023, 08:26 PM
That's a Made in Philippines [(c) 2015] model. S/N would have begun with PHA.

It is even better than the previous versions (AT91SAM7L128 @36MHz) as it has a ATSAM4LC2C @ 48MHz.

Looks to be in perfect condition!
05-12-2023, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2023 02:36 PM by linq2008.)
Made in Philippines, Rev:2

(05-11-2023 08:02 PM)mfny Wrote:  
(05-11-2023 07:13 PM)Mark H. Shin Wrote:  In my experience, all the Rev 1 [ (c) 2008; Made In China] have the "tall" % key printing.

If you purchased the Rev 1 [(c) 2012; Made In China] with serial number beginning with CNA, these have the "short" or normal sized % key printing, consider yourself lucky, as I have never seen one of these fail with display segments issue, nor experienced any problems with the keyboard.

These are images from the listing:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)