DM32 multi-state system
06-25-2023, 09:45 PM
DM32 multi-state system
Does anyone know the details of this... as in how many states can be held in memory? - are they fixed in size or variable depending on how many vars/prgms, etc. ?

I presume a nearly infinite number can be stored off-line, depending on storage capacity.

-John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2023, 10:24 PM
RE: DM32 multi-state system
I hope someone with more direct knowledge will answer your question. You probably have already looked at the DM32 User manual section regarding saving and loading States but I will post the link here for the benefit of others who may not have seen it.
https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm32/d...ator_state
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-27-2023, 12:13 AM
They're just text files so you an easily transfer one to a PC and have a look at the contents. And, yes, they do increase in size the more programs, equations and variables defined.

A bigger problem than running out of flash memory to store them will be scrolling through hundreds and hundreds of filenames on the calc's tiny screen to find the one you want.
06-27-2023, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2023 05:29 PM by rlionspain.)
They store things like stack registers and varaibles, diaplay and angular mode, equations and programs. They're easily editable on PC.

Switching from one to the other is very easy: just three or four clicks and it's done.

Imagine you get several 32SII with different programs and equations. Switching among states is actually as picking up one calculator or another depending on the programs and equations you want to use.
06-27-2023, 07:43 PM
The DM32 can load as many state files as available memory will hold; these state files will vary in size, depending on how much space is used in each for variable, program and equation storage. Even when recalling that the 32Sii only had 384 bytes of storage total, you can still expect to see 'typical' state files up to several KB in length.

Keeping in mind the memory space here is linear RAM in an embedded device, and not being managed by a multitasking OS to reclaim and de-fragment unused RAM, it will still hold a few hundred KB of state file. Also, while it's possible to create very large individual state files (over 100K) there is very little sensible reason to do so as there are very few properly designed applications needing anywhere near that much.

Probably the best way to look at this is: The DM32 will be able to hold and manage many more state files than almost any user could ever keep track of.

Finally, note here that I'm not naive and I do understand these comments will be taken as a challenge; someone will produce just such a large program and others will find a way to exhaust memory resources. But the comments remain true just the same for very nearly all practical uses and scenarios.

And lastly, these thresholds have already been probed by Joe Horn, so if you plan to explore such obscure parameters, a) you're in good company, and b) please take the time and make the effort to report any problems you encounter.

--Bob Prosperi
06-28-2023, 01:36 AM
Well I guess clarification is in order.

I'm not asking about files stored on a PC - that's offline storage.
I'm talking about memory on the calculator itself.

Can I... do the equivalent of carrying around a library of mag cards so I can reprogram it when I want on the spot?

The great failing of the 'continuous memory' (meaning no mass storage) machines was said by HP many years ago - they are designed for those who only need a few programs to use repeatedly. Therefore completely unsuitable for those who program a lot and want to have libraries of programs at hand. PC communication is a novelty unless you are always going to use your calculator at your desk. And frankly, if I have to tote around a laptop to keep my programs for my calculator - why should I bother with a calculator?

The more modern machines alleviate this a bit with more memory - but the UI isn't geared to handle it properly and it gets tedious fast. The idea of a new 'image file' to completely reset a calculator is similar to what the mag cards did on the 65/67/97 machines. It sounds promising to me. I will still, of course, backup everything to a PC. But I want to carry my library around in the calculator. And if it's a clean image import, I won't have to worry about obtuse navigation, label or variable name collisions, etc. that comes with putting all your programs in one bucket, so to speak.

-J
06-28-2023, 02:09 AM
(06-28-2023 01:36 AM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Well I guess clarification is in order.

I'm not asking about files stored on a PC - that's offline storage.
I'm talking about memory on the calculator itself.
I was too.

The DM32 (like DM41X and DM42) have disk-like storage space for storing state files when not in use; these each contain the complete contents of the calculator's memory - all the variables, all the programs, all the equations, and all the settings. So you can load all your programs/data for HVAC into one state file (HVAC.d32) all your programs data for lottery calculations into another state file (LOTTO.d32), etc.

In prior machines, one could change State Files much like closing and opening a document - Save the current file to it's old name, save it to a new fuile, etc. and then open another file. In addition to this 'old' method, the DM32 will also allow you to literally have multiple State Files open simultaneously, switching among them in about 3 keystrokes.

(06-28-2023 01:36 AM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Can I... do the equivalent of carrying around a library of mag cards so I can reprogram it when I want on the spot?

Yes, but it's more like carrying around 30-50 complete calculators, each full of unique programs, data and equations, switching among them easily in a few seconds.

Note that '30-50' is just an example, the point again being that the DM32 will likely hold more than one would likely need or be able to keep track of.

--Bob Prosperi
06-28-2023, 10:41 AM
That's perfect, thanks Bob !

And the magic number of 40 is on the mark as that's how many cards are in a pac/wallet.

I'm an owner of a DM42, I understand the internal mass storage. My earlier clarification on that point was referring to other posters who sung the virtues of PC communications.

And I have a DM32 on order. Looking forward to it. I have a 32SII, and it's a good basic all around machine - a knockabout 'daily driver'. It was a shame the follow on models (33s and 35s) were such a letdown with poor design. But I think SwissMicros will get it right where Kinpo failed. Hindsight and a couple decades of tech advancements will do that, you know. Smile

-J
06-28-2023, 02:42 PM
(06-28-2023 10:41 AM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Hindsight and a couple decades of tech advancements will do that, you know. Smile

Flash ROM to let them release a beta product and continue to fix it until it's good enough makes a big difference too.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)