Found bugs in HP-15C LE
05-27-2023, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2023 02:43 AM by Namir.)
Found bugs in HP-15C LE
I was unsuccessful in finding the bug list for the HP-15C LE on this site. I think I found (new?) bugs while testing the timings for the Permutation and zcombination functions. I use the I register to loop a number of times. Normally (with other functions) the LE displays blinking "running" while the time test program is executing. However, in the case the Permutation and zcombination functions, the screen goes blank. When the timing test program finishes, the LE displkays the current value in the X register.

The effect of the blank displays slows down the test program. I think whatever is prventing the LCD from displaying the message blinking "running" is slowing down the test program.

Are the above bugs new or someone else has already found them?

Namir

PS: In the HHC2011 timing test presentation that I gave, I did not test the speed of the Permutation and zcombination functions for the 15 LE calculator.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2023, 09:21 PM
RE: Found bugs in HP-15C LE
Here is the original HP-15C LE bug list on the older forum.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...?read=1089

It seems like you may have found a new bug.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Number 2 in the bug list points out the problem with the Permutation and Combination functions. So the bug is not new.

Thanks!

Namir
05-27-2023, 09:45 PM
Wow I read the list looking for the bug you reported and totally missed itSad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2023, 10:11 PM
(05-27-2023 09:45 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Wow I read the list looking for the bug you reported and totally missed itSad

That's OK. The only LE bug I know is the PSE-in-a-loop bug.

Namr
05-28-2023, 02:32 PM
It will be interesting to see how the 15C CE compares to the 15C LE once the CE is available. I think I read somewhere that the Pause bug is resolved (and for many, that's the showstopper).

I use my LE on a reasonably frequent basis and have never encountered the battery deplete bug. Sure, it depletes faster than the original 15C, but it's a shed-load quicker too. Then again, having first owned a 49+ before a 50g, my muscle memory taps at the keys on all my calculators (SwissMicros aside) as if the keys are mini hot plates - for fear of registering multiple hits on a single keypress! Smile
05-28-2023, 08:43 PM
Hi, Namir,

Can you please share the program you used? Also the timings to make comparisons.
05-29-2023, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2023 03:24 AM by Namir.)
(05-28-2023 08:43 PM)Divasson Wrote:  Hi, Namir,

Can you please share the program you used? Also the timings to make comparisons.

I will be presenting the timing study at HHC 2023 in Orlando. However I can send you the Excel files or, even better, deliver them to you in person as I will be in Barcelona between September 12 and leaving the 17th. Maybe we can meet for lunch?? It will be wonderful to meet you in person!

Namir

PS: The template timing program is:

Code:
LBL A
STO I
LBL 0
RCL 0
<function>
DSE I
GTO 0
RTN

And for operations and functions that take two values:

Code:
LBL A
STO I
LBL 0
RCL 0
RCL 1
<operation/function>
DSE I
GTO 0
RTN

The input value before pressing f A is the number f iterations performed. This approach is the same for all timing test programs,

for single argument complex functions (complex mode must be already turned on):

Code:
LBL A
STO I
LBL 0
RCL 0
RCL 1
f I
<function>
DSE I
GTO 0
RTN

or double argument complex operators and functions (complex mode must be already turned on):

Code:
LBL A
STO I
LBL 0
RCL 0
RCL 1
f I
RCL 2
RCL 3
f I
<operation/function>
DSE I
GTO 0
RTN

The baseline timing programs for the above four types of tests are basically the same but lack the execution of any function or operator. Example for baseline timing of single-argument functions:

Code:
LBL A
STO I
LBL 0
RCL 0
DSE I
GTO 0
RTN
05-29-2023, 07:15 AM
Hi, I will try to be in Barcelona at that time - however we are preparing a SAP rollout in Florida and we're preparing the trips that would be very much around that time. I might even make it for the calculator meeting.
05-29-2023, 11:41 AM
(05-29-2023 07:15 AM)Divasson Wrote:  Hi, I will try to be in Barcelona at that time - however we are preparing a SAP rollout in Florida and we're preparing the trips that would be very much around that time. I might even make it for the calculator meeting.

Meeting you at HHC2023 will be even better. You will also meet many of your customers and consolidate their loyalties to your calculator store.

Namir
05-29-2023, 12:25 PM
(05-29-2023 07:15 AM)Divasson Wrote:  ...rollout in Florida and we're preparing the trips that would be very much around that time. I might even make it for the calculator meeting.

That would be great indeed, we'd love to have you join us. As Namir said, a nice chance to meet many customers, but we'd also like to have you do a talk about the Dealer's perspective on the hobby, it's been many, many years since we've done this, the last (IIRC) was at HHC 2013 when the Prime was introduced, which amazingly is now 10 years ago.

Please "adjust" that rollout timeline if you can... Wink

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)