CompuAdd 316SL documentation
05-27-2023, 09:49 PM
CompuAdd 316SL documentation
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find any documentation (manual, schematic, etc) on a CompuAdd 316SL laptop computer? I acquired one today along with several Commodore computers and a disk drive in need of help. I also got a functional TI 1099/4A with the deal.

I can't find much information at all of the CompuAdd 316SL. But I do know that the real time clock / battery is dead and needs to be replaced. It won't hold CMOS information without a new one, thus booting is impossible.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2023, 05:51 PM
RE: CompuAdd 316SL documentation
Well, I couldn't find any documentation to go with this computer. The first problem was that the DALLAS DS-1287 RTC/battery was dead. And the ones for sale on the internet are more than likely dead since these were discontinued long ago. And without it being able to hold CMOS settings, there was no hope of it booting DOS.

So I used a technique that I found on the internet to attach an external sealed coin sized battery to the RTC. I had to use a Dremel tool to grind away the two spots on the same side of the RTC to expose two specific pins (- and +). Then separate the top and bottom of the first pin (-) by cutting it using the grinding bit. This will keep the external battery alive a little longer (so I'm told). I soldered the leads from the sealed coin battery to the bottom part of the first pin, and the second pin.

I put the computer back together, powered it on, went into CMOS to set a different date, the floppy drive type, and the hard drive type. I had to guess which hard drive type it should be set to, but at least I knew the capacity. I could find any data on the actual specifications of the hard drive other than its capacity. The good news is that the CMOS was now holding whatever settings I used. I eventually hit upon drive type 42 that booted into DOS 6.22. This laptop originally came withe Windows 3.0, but it had been deleted.

I tried the floppy drive, and all I get is a seek error. Even on good floppy disks with data on them produce the same error message. So I opened the computer back up, removed the floppy drive, cleaned the heads and lubricated the rails and the motor spindle. I reinstalled the floppy, and there is no change. The floppy drive is a Epson SMD-1000. Not sure what the problem is, but the power and the interface cable are fine. So I ordered a working replacement off of ebay today. It's amazing how much people are getting for these old floppy drives. I'll probably try replacing the capacitors on the old drive some day in the future when I'm brave enough to further dismantle the drive to gain access to the capacitors. Lots of moving parts and springs. I'll video the dismantling to help possibly putting the drive back together.

Learning much as I go.

Joe

06-19-2023, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2023 11:20 PM by BobVA.)
Nice restoration on the clock - I'll bet it was surprised to wake up in the 21st century. :-)

This link discusses replacing two caps causing a similar problem on an SMD-1000 drive.
06-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Thank you, but I can't take credit for the pictures. Those are screenshots of the YouTube video I referenced. The first part of the video is a slideshow, which are the screens I captured.

I did see and read that link on the floppy drive as well. That's why I decide to keep it and attempt a repair later.

Joe

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)