iPad RPN calculator
08-23-2014, 03:26 AM
iPad RPN calculator
I just got an iPad, and I'm looking for an RPN calculator app for it. I already downloaded free42, but this only appears to work in the portrait mode, and I mostly keep the iPad in landscape mode. Any suggestions? At the Apple store, PCalc and an enhanced HP 11 C simulator look promising but are not free, so I can't try before I buy. I'd appreciate a little advice from the collective wisdom here before I spend.

Thanks!
--Peter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2014, 06:53 AM
RE: iPad RPN calculator
PCalc is good. But did you had a look at WP34s?
08-23-2014, 07:32 AM
There is at least one landscape skin included in Free42S, at least in the package on my PC.

d:-)
08-23-2014, 08:04 AM
(08-23-2014 07:32 AM)walter b Wrote:  There is at least one landscape skin included in Free42S, at least in the package on my PC.

Support for landscape view on the iPhone/iPad version of Free42 is on Thomas's ToDo list.
http://thomasokken.com/free42/todo.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2014, 09:15 AM
(08-23-2014 03:26 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  I just got an iPad, and I'm looking for an RPN calculator app for it. I already downloaded free42, but this only appears to work in the portrait mode, and I mostly keep the iPad in landscape mode. Any suggestions? At the Apple store, PCalc and an enhanced HP 11 C simulator look promising but are not free, so I can't try before I buy. I'd appreciate a little advice from the collective wisdom here before I spend.

Thanks!
--Peter

For a better understanding of what you are looking for, tell us what type of RPN calculator you would like (basic, scientific, financial, graphing, etc) and if you have any previous experience with any specific HP calculator models (HP-11C/15C, HP-48 series, HP-50, etc).

For a free landscape basic scientific RPN calculator, try RPN Calculator
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpn-calc...94271?mt=8
08-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks, all. Steve, I've used HP calculators since the original HP-25. I have an 11c, 32S, a 32Sii, a cosmetically hideous 42s that works, and a WP34s. The one that I usually reach for is the 32S.

I'm most interested in a scientific calculator that can also do hex/octal/binary. This is all for fun and learning now. I recently retired from my IT job, where I used the 32s daily, and found the WP34s to be a great help in doing subnetting, etc.

I'm not interested in graphing or RPL-based machines like the 48 or 50.

I'm torn between the desire to have something "just like" a real HP device vs. wanting a program that uses the iPad's larger screen to better present the complexity of the device, making it easier to use. I love the WP34s, but if I don't use if for a few days, I forget where half the stuff is on it. :-)

--Peter
08-23-2014, 12:01 PM
(08-23-2014 09:53 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  I love the WP34s, but if I don't use if for a few days, I forget where half the stuff is on it. :-)

First aid is near: please see the file attached. Just print it on two sides of one page, and you've got a "Gedankenstütze" on a single page.

.pdf  Catalog_Contents.pdf (Size: 62.9 KB / Downloads: 104)
08-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Hello!

I like "Chameleon Calculator" (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/chameleo...96827?mt=8) very much. It is rather a calculator kit than a calculator, because you can adjust anything just as you like it, from keyboard layout via colours to functions assigned to the individual keys. I don't know what the current version is able to do because I still use the free App that the developer distributed on this forum for beta testing. If only it was able to perform time calculations (something the author announced long ago...) I would not use any other calculator on my i-devices (nothing against WP34s, but I simply don't need all those funtions and therefore prefer an uncluttered layout).

Regards
Max
08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
(08-23-2014 12:18 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  nothing against WP34s, but I simply don't need all those funtions and therefore prefer an uncluttered layout

Do you know of the WP 31S?

08-23-2014, 12:45 PM
(08-23-2014 12:22 PM)walter b Wrote:  Do you know of the WP 31S?

Of course I do :-) A step in the right direction (for my needs).

But:

a) I have not found an iPad App of that calc yet (maybe not looking hard enough?) and
b) it still has the artithmetic keys on the wrong side of the keyboard ;-)

This is what my mostly used Chameleon Calculator skin looks like, everything an aviator needs - the "/" key on the lower right is a placeholder for the hour:minute separator that hopefully one day will be available for time calculations.

Max

[Image: ChameleonCalc_800px.jpg]
08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
(08-23-2014 12:45 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  b) it still has the artithmetic keys on the wrong side of the keyboard ;-)

Big Grin

Wisdom!

Please see my tagline... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
08-23-2014, 01:06 PM
What's the functionality of Lb>I ? And why are '-' and ENTER printed so small?

BTW the location of the arithmetic keys can only be changed (or corrected Wink ) with a new hardware. Please join supporting the 43S.

08-23-2014, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 05:07 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
(08-23-2014 09:53 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  Thanks, all. Steve, I've used HP calculators since the original HP-25. I have an 11c, 32S, a 32Sii, a cosmetically hideous 42s that works, and a WP34s. The one that I usually reach for is the 32S.

I'm most interested in a scientific calculator that can also do hex/octal/binary. This is all for fun and learning now. I recently retired from my IT job, where I used the 32s daily, and found the WP34s to be a great help in doing subnetting, etc.

I'm not interested in graphing or RPL-based machines like the 48 or 50.

I'm torn between the desire to have something "just like" a real HP device vs. wanting a program that uses the iPad's larger screen to better present the complexity of the device, making it easier to use. I love the WP34s, but if I don't use if for a few days, I forget where half the stuff is on it. :-)

--Peter

Given your background, the following two (paid) landscape HP calculator emulators may be fun and useful to have. I enjoy and can recommend them both.

RPN-11C ($4.99)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpn-11c/...71198?mt=8
[attachment=1031]

GO-25 ($1.99)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/go-25/id408249517?mt=8
[attachment=1032]
08-23-2014, 05:48 PM
(08-23-2014 01:06 PM)walter b Wrote:  What's the functionality of Lb>I

It converts a given amount of "Jet A1" fuel from pounds (the unit that our American aeroplane uses) to litres (the unit that European refuellers expect). This is actually the only calculation that I ever do with a calculator, even if I know the most often required amounts of fuel from memory...

(08-23-2014 01:06 PM)walter b Wrote:  And why are '-' and ENTER printed so small?

That must be some kind of bug (or feature? who knows...) of the app. I already thought about making 5 very narrow keys next to each other marked "E", "N", "T", "E" and "R" to get around that problem. I don't know if the developer of this app still follows "our" forum?
08-23-2014, 08:14 PM
(08-23-2014 03:26 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  an RPN calculator

You should give these two a good look:

i41CX by AL Software

RP-97 Pro by CuVee Software

Very stable and professional emulators which also come as close to the real thing as a machine without a physical HP keyboard can possibly get...

a.n.
08-25-2014, 04:22 AM
(08-23-2014 03:26 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  I just got an iPad, and I'm looking for an RPN calculator app for it. I already downloaded free42, but this only appears to work in the portrait mode, and I mostly keep the iPad in landscape mode. Any suggestions? At the Apple store, PCalc and an enhanced HP 11 C simulator look promising but are not free, so I can't try before I buy. I'd appreciate a little advice from the collective wisdom here before I spend.

Thanks!
--Peter

The 17BII Plus app is also pretty good. (It's enhanced with trig and things, unlike the real HP 17BII+). Loads of conversions too.

There's a good 50g app also. The i41Cx is very good, top notch.
08-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Well, I learned a new word (for me) this weekend: Skeudomorphism. I gave into this design philosophy by acquiring the HP-25 emulator GO-25. The HP-25 was my first HP calculator. I learned a lot of math and programming concepts just by playing with it. It's fun to use a virtual version of it. I also bought pCalc, which seems very well-designed and supported and uses the iPad features to good effect. And yeah, I downloaded WP34s, which has everything including the kitchen sink. That ought to keep me occupied for a while. :-)

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

Peter
08-28-2014, 02:40 AM
(08-23-2014 12:18 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I like "Chameleon Calculator" (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/chameleo...96827?mt=8) very much.
That's a sweet-looking app, with keypads that can be customised.

Can you change the display, too? All the versions I see (including on their web site) have a single of digits, no flags, no alpha.
08-30-2014, 10:24 PM
(08-26-2014 12:24 AM)Peter Klein Wrote:  Well, I learned a new word (for me) this weekend: Skeudomorphism. I gave into this design philosophy by acquiring the HP-25 emulator GO-25.

Skeuomorphism (no 'd') seems ubiquitous in both iOS and Android, as it was somewhat in Palm OS. I have a number of these calcs for my Android phone and quite enjoy them, including the go25C. I am surprised you did not go for the 11C landscape calculator given your stated preferences. My other Android calcs on the Samsung Galaxy S4 are go41CX, Free42, 15CSciCalc, Andro15C, Andro12C, HP67 by Mike O'Shea (which has a bug or two...), and Droid48SX.

As nice as the Android apps are, iOS apps just seem very slick and polished by comparison. Almost makes me want an iPad just for the HP Calculator emulators.... especially that nice looking RP-97 Pro by CuVee Software. Impressive!

Jeff
09-12-2014, 08:15 PM
(08-30-2014 10:24 PM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  As nice as the Android apps are, iOS apps just seem very slick and polished by comparison. Almost makes me want an iPad just for the HP Calculator emulators.... especially that nice looking RPN-97 Pro by CuVee Software. Impressive!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, for the warm recommendation of my RPN-97 Pro. @Peter Klein: If you're looking for a free calculator, you may like RPN-67 Free. No hex, octal and binary modes, though. ;-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)