eBay Systemyde 41CL v2 - can't update
06-12-2023, 02:23 PM
eBay Systemyde 41CL v2 - can't update
I purchased a 41CL v2 off of eBay recently. When it arrived, it had never been updated. In fact, the serial cable that was provided was still sealed in the manufacturer's bag.

Being a v2, it does not have the update rom, so I am attempting to load it according to the instructions. When I get to the point where it says to run "YIMP" on the calculator, nothing happens. It gives no error, but I never see the expected message. The screen goes blank for about a second, and then I see "1" in the X register. If I try a second time without resetting the calculator, the screen doesn't go blank, and I get a 2 in the X register.

I have tried this so many times that I couldn't even begin to count. I just finished disassembling the calculator to verify that the serial cable is plugged in correctly, and it is. I reseated it for good measure with no change in behavior.

A forum search turned up someone with a Beta board that had the same issue, and they got around it by loading the new roms with a CLONIX, but I don't have one, and don't know where I would get one...

Anybody have any other ideas that I might try?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: eBay Systemyde 41CL v2 - can't update
Look at my HHC 2017 41CL Self Update presentation. Since it was never updated, I would update in two phases.
  1. Update to the first 2017 update package
    1. Download the HHC presentation package that contains software and UPDAT-2B.ROM file → HHC-2017-clupdate-package.zip
    2. Unzip the HHC-2017-clupdate-package.zip file
    3. Follow the steps indicated in the FLASH UPDATE WITH PC HOST section of the presentation PDF file.
  2. Update to the latest update package → rom_files_230602.zip

Sylvain
06-12-2023, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

(06-12-2023 03:30 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Since it was never updated, I would update in two phases.

Update to the first 2017 update package

Unfortunately, I don't think I can do that. The PDF in the 2017 archive gives the same instructions:

XEQ "MMUCLR"
"YFNZ"
XEQ "PLUG1L"
XEQ "TURBO50"
XEQ "SERINI"
XEQ "BAUD48"
"830000-0FFF"
XEQ "YIMP"

And nothing happens... The display shuts off for about 1 second and I get 1.000 on the stack. No error message, no "RECEIVING" message, just back looking at the X register with 1.000 in it. I can see the PC send the data on my USB->Serial adapter LED, but the calculator is not listening for it.
06-12-2023, 04:45 PM
I've had the same problems.
And my beta unit still is in its original state.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2023, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2023 05:27 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Try this modified sequence:
Code:
Typed             Executed          Description
XEQ "MMUDIS"      MMUDIS            disable MMU
XEQ "MMUCLR"      MMUCLR            clear MMU configuration
"YFNX"            "YFNX"            41CL Extreme ROM image (instead of YFNZ extra)
XEQ "PLUG1L"      PLUG1L            map YFNX to page 8
XEQ "TURBO50"     TURBO50           50x speed-up
XEQ "SERINI"      SERINI            initialize serial port
XEQ "BAUD48"      BAUD48            set serial port speed to 4800 baud
XEQ "MMUEN"       MMUEN             enable MMU
"830000-0FFF"     "830000-0FFF"     load incoming module 4K image to page 830 in 41CL RAM
XEQ "YIMP"        YIMP              import 4K module from serial port using YIMP from YFNX module

Still, even if the serial cable is not plugged, YIMP should show you these messages: "RECEIVING" for ~10 seconds then "TIMEOUT".

Oh, wait, I remember that there was an issue with the original YIMP that was not waiting if there was no character in the UART incoming buffer.
I also remember that I was able to get over it but the solution was lengthy and convoluted.

Using the above configuration, try this:
Code:
Executed          Description
"830000-0FFF"     load incoming module 4K image to page 830 in 41CL RAM
MMUDIS            disable MMU
YIMP              YIMP from YFNZ (extra) module -> do you get the "RECEIVING" + "TIMEOUT" messages ?
MMUEN             enable MMU
YIMP              YIMP from YFNX (extreme) module -> do you get the "RECEIVING" + "TIMEOUT" messages ?

If the above test is not working and since you are in USA, I would suggest that you contact Monte and ask him if he could directly flash the board (with JTAG) to the latest ROM images.

Sylvain
06-12-2023, 09:51 PM
(06-12-2023 05:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  If the above test is not working and since you are in USA, I would suggest that you contact Monte and ask him if he could directly flash the board (with JTAG) to the latest ROM images.

Sylvain

I may have to. PLUG1L YFNX responds with "BAD ID," which I am also going to assume is not the correct behavior either.

I had not been doing the MMUEN where you had it in this process, but doing so made no difference.

(06-12-2023 05:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Oh, wait, I remember that there was an issue with the original YIMP that was not waiting if there was no character in the UART incoming buffer.

If you have any more info about this, I would very much appreciate it. I'm wondering if maybe I can poke something into the buffer or something to get YIMP to run so I can do the upgrade. I only need it to work once (I think) and then I can use the new roms.

Not particularily excited about having to send the unit away, but will do so if I need to, and Monte is willing.

Thanks.
06-12-2023, 10:41 PM
(06-12-2023 03:30 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  [*]Update to the latest update package → rom_files_230602.zip
Sylvain

Gene: I do wish there were a full .zip file containing all the rom files in .mod format each time. I wish even more that there were an easy automated way to convert said rom .zip file into one containing .mod files :-)
06-13-2023, 02:21 AM
(06-12-2023 09:51 PM)signals Wrote:  
(06-12-2023 05:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  If the above test is not working and since you are in USA, I would suggest that you contact Monte and ask him if he could directly flash the board (with JTAG) to the latest ROM images.

Sylvain

I may have to. PLUG1L YFNX responds with "BAD ID," which I am also going to assume is not the correct behavior either.

I had not been doing the MMUEN where you had it in this process, but doing so made no difference.

(06-12-2023 05:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Oh, wait, I remember that there was an issue with the original YIMP that was not waiting if there was no character in the UART incoming buffer.

If you have any more info about this, I would very much appreciate it. I'm wondering if maybe I can poke something into the buffer or something to get YIMP to run so I can do the upgrade. I only need it to work once (I think) and then I can use the new roms.

Not particularily excited about having to send the unit away, but will do so if I need to, and Monte is willing.

Thanks.

I am happy to take a look at it for you. Just send me an email at monted@systemyde.com
06-13-2023, 02:23 AM
(06-12-2023 10:41 PM)Gene Wrote:  
(06-12-2023 03:30 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  [*]Update to the latest update package → rom_files_230602.zip
Sylvain

Gene: I do wish there were a full .zip file containing all the rom files in .mod format each time. I wish even more that there were an easy automated way to convert said rom .zip file into one containing .mod files :-)

Well, since the 41CL works fine with .rom files, it won't be me who attempts this... but it shouldn't be that difficult, and could probably be done with a script.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)