MoHPC USB Drive & iOS
06-14-2023, 08:09 AM
MoHPC USB Drive & iOS
Hi all.

With both an iPhone 13 and iPad Pro, I’m thinking of getting The Museum USB drive. Dave told me it’s in FAT32 format. I’m thinking some of you have a method of using the MoHPC USB with an iOS device.

Could you please share the process of reading the content of the USB Drive on my iPad or iPhone? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2023, 01:31 PM
RE: MoHPC USB Drive & iOS
If nothing else, you would need a lightning plug to USB-A socket adapter.
For Android, this was called "USB to go", when the common telephone port was Micro-B.
06-14-2023, 06:41 PM
(06-14-2023 01:31 PM)ctrclckws Wrote:  If nothing else, you would need a lightning plug to USB-A socket adapter.
For Android, this was called "USB to go", when the common telephone port was Micro-B.

Thanks for the reply. When do attach the cable between the iPad and USB drive, and how do I access the contents? Does that involve the Files app or something else?

Thanks
06-14-2023, 07:27 PM
Hello!

(06-14-2023 06:41 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  When do attach the cable between the iPad and USB drive, and how do I access the contents? Does that involve the Files app or something else?

You will need the "Lightning to USB camera adapter" as Apple calls it. This is the original part from Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821...ra-adapter
If you look at places like Amazon, eBay or Aliepress you will find perfectly working clones at 1/5 that price.
And yes, the contents of the USB drives will then show in the Files app.

Greetings
Max
06-14-2023, 09:50 PM
(06-14-2023 07:27 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(06-14-2023 06:41 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  When do attach the cable between the iPad and USB drive, and how do I access the contents? Does that involve the Files app or something else?

You will need the "Lightning to USB camera adapter" as Apple calls it. This is the original part from Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821...ra-adapter
If you look at places like Amazon, eBay or Aliepress you will find perfectly working clones at 1/5 that price.
And yes, the contents of the USB drives will then show in the Files app.
you
Greetings
Max

Camera was the keyword. You don’t say. Well, I was 2/3 right (USB, Lightning).

Thanks for the missing link. And yes, a wee bit pricey.
06-15-2023, 01:31 AM
(06-14-2023 09:50 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(06-14-2023 07:27 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  You will need the "Lightning to USB camera adapter" as Apple calls it. This is the original part from Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821...ra-adapter
Camera was the keyword. You don’t say. Well, I was 2/3 right (USB, Lightning).
There is two adapters made by Apple: See iPhone User Guide: Connect external storage devices to iPhone
06-15-2023, 02:19 AM
(06-15-2023 01:31 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(06-14-2023 09:50 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Camera was the keyword. You don’t say. Well, I was 2/3 right (USB, Lightning).
There is two adapters made by Apple: See iPhone User Guide: Connect external storage devices to iPhone

Since my iPad & iPhone are the Lightning generation, looks like I gotta go with Plain Ol' USB.

Thanks for the details.
06-16-2023, 09:57 AM
My problem wasn't with getting the USB stick contents onto the iPad but with how to browse the files once they were on the iPad. It was easy to open an index.html file in the Files app by clicking on it, but none of the links worked. It seemed to me at the time that the iPad is only pretending to have files arranged in a folder structure, and that links to files in what looks like a folder / subdirectory won't operate correctly (or at all).

Does anyone know a way around this problem? Or have I simply been doing something stupid all along? I'm not really an Apple kind of person!

Nigel (UK)
06-30-2023, 03:50 PM
Copy files from your USB stick to a Cloud (I use iCloud or Dropbox).
Then from the Files app copy them from iCloud to where you want them on your iPad or I just leave them on iCloud where you can access them easily from the Files app when needed where they can be accessed from your PC or MacBook plus save you spending £123456789 trillapounds for the Apple Genuine Cable!!

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2023, 04:15 AM
Thanks! That helps!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)