Remembering my first PPC Conference
06-15-2023, 11:11 AM
Remembering my first PPC Conference
Hi All,

On this day in 1980, I flew to Chicago to attend my first PPC meeting. Chicago chapter member , the late Jack Stout, came to the airport with a white van to pick up PPC attendees in a white van and drove us to his workplace Ace Metal. It was the first time I met folks like Richard Nelson, Jake Schwartz, Roger Hill, and many others. This was, quoting the movie Casablanca, "the beginning of a beatifull friendship".

Meeting fellow PPC members was a special catalyst that speeded up the exchange of ideas and programming tips. We sometimes joked about comparing PPC with Star Trek clubs, but always emphasized that we are dealing with real and physical calculators.

Cheers,

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2023, 07:08 PM
RE: Remembering my first PPC Conference
Thanks for sharing that!

I started attending the conferences in 1995, and it was wonderful to meet so many members of the community. I miss those we've lost, but I'm thankful for everyone still here, and I really look forward to seeing those who can attend this year's conference.
06-16-2023, 09:59 PM
Hello,

(06-15-2023 11:11 AM)Namir Wrote:  We sometimes joked about comparing PPC with Star Trek clubs, but always emphasized that we are dealing with real and physical calculators.

Who knows, if you had used your combined brain capacity to work on the warp drive instead of physical calculators, interstellar travel might be a reality by now :-)

Regards
Max

NB: I have not been to a calculator meeting yet, but have attended several Star Trek conventions!
06-16-2023, 10:51 PM
While it's been too long since I've been able to attend these delightful events, I treasure the friendships I've made via them along with the old HP-65 Users Club/PPC envelope stuffing parties at Richard Nelson's place and later, the PPC office. Being able to keep in touch via the Forum is terrific for those who can't meet face to face. Best to you, Namir, and all!

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
06-17-2023, 01:59 AM
(06-16-2023 10:51 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  While it's been too long since I've been able to attend these delightful events, I treasure the friendships I've made via them along with the old HP-65 Users Club/PPC envelope stuffing parties at Richard Nelson's place and later, the PPC office. Being able to keep in touch via the Forum is terrific for those who can't meet face to face. Best to you, Namir, and all!

We're meeting in Orlando this year Jim, which I know is about as far away and inconvenient for you as possible, but hopefully you may find a way to make it anyhow. Looks like attendance will be up from recent years, it should be a great event, I hope you can attend.

--Bob Prosperi
06-20-2023, 12:56 AM
Oh, believe me, I'd love to attend. However, I take care of bedridden family and our pets so being away that long isn't feasible. Thank you for the positive thoughts - and be sure of my best wishes for all who attend either in person or virtually!

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
06-21-2023, 01:53 AM
(06-20-2023 12:56 AM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Oh, believe me, I'd love to attend. However, I take care of bedridden family and our pets so being away that long isn't feasible. Thank you for the positive thoughts - and be sure of my best wishes for all who attend either in person or virtually!

Hi Jim!
I remember meeting you for the first time at that first PPC conference in 1979 in Santa Clara. It was definitely a fun time.
Jake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)