Elektronika MK-61 - today I ordered one NIB
10-11-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: Elektronika MK-61 - today I ordered one NIB
(10-08-2014 03:37 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 12:25 AM)jebem Wrote:  I manage to complete the translation to English of the Russian Elektronika MK-61 user guide.

Ok, now you've done it! I had been able to convince myself I don't want (need) one of these Russian RPN machines since I can't understand the manual, and can't even read the keyboard. Damn.

Nice job on the manual Jose! At least, I think it's a nice job... in any case, it took a LOT of work and looks quite nice, thanks for that and for sharing.

You are welcome!

The prices seems to be dropping as there are more sellers from Ukrain in eBay now.

Apparently the only bad specification on this machine is the "tap" keyboard.
I need to keep looking to the display when taping the keys to see it blinking confirming the registration.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2014, 07:46 AM
(10-08-2014 06:10 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Thanks a lot Jose!

You are welcome, Massimo!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

10-12-2014, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 07:27 AM by jebem.)
Hi everybody,

I have been informed that there are some issues with the user guide file download from Rapidgator when using the free low speed access.
Sorry for that.

If you send me a PM with one e-mail address, I will send the zip file as a attachment.
The file's size is about 1.6MByte.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

10-24-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 12:29 PM by jebem.)
Just to inform that so far, six persons have asked me to send the English translation of the MK-61 User Guide directly to their mailboxes.
All of them gave me a positive feedback, but it doesn't mean that the translation was perfect, far from it (English is probably my 3rd language).

Apparently the RapidGator file sharing was not a good idea.
Too much waiting, adverts, and other things in between.
What do you think is a better file sharing portal (a free one if possible)?

I'm waiting to receive a MK-52 and I am thinking on publishing here one new thread with some details on it; depending on the user guide available, maybe I will translate it to English as well when I get some spare time to do it.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
(10-24-2014 12:28 PM)jebem Wrote:  Apparently the RapidGator file sharing was not a good idea.

If you were to ask Katie Wasserman, I'm sure she would be glad to host it on her "Vintage Electronic Calculator Manuals" site at http://www.wass.net/manuals/index.htm. She already has a PDF of the Russian version of the manual.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
10-26-2014, 12:59 AM
(10-24-2014 04:47 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 12:28 PM)jebem Wrote:  Apparently the RapidGator file sharing was not a good idea.

If you were to ask Katie Wasserman, I'm sure she would be glad to host it on her "Vintage Electronic Calculator Manuals" site at http://www.wass.net/manuals/index.htm. She already has a PDF of the Russian version of the manual.

He has, and I have added it to my webpage. You can access it directly here.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Brilliant. Both of you. Thanks.
Q: Pages 44 & 49, are blank and the last one is just color bars on my Linux laptop but sometimes it makes up it's own rules. Is this as intended?
10-26-2014, 04:49 PM
(10-26-2014 04:34 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Brilliant. Both of you. Thanks.
Q: Pages 44 & 49, are blank and the last one is just color bars on my Linux laptop but sometimes it makes up it's own rules. Is this as intended?

Thanks for checking the PDF file, Den.

Those pages are indeed blank, to replicate as much as possible my paper copy of the Russian guide.
The only exceptions are page 3, 8 and 9 where I added some content not contained in the original.

The original covers have the same color strips, so I took the time to copy that schema as well.

[Image: original_mk61_guide.jpg]

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-07-2014, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 06:30 PM by aurelio.)
(09-28-2014 09:44 PM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  These are the pictures of the MK-61 I bought recently.
Indeed, the display cover is blueish and the angle unit selection switch is unusual (and very high).

For reference, see the lot# information in the back - I do not know how to interpret it

Looking forward to the translated manual - Thank you Jose for working on this

I bought the machine from this vendor - the pictures he shows are of a machine similar to the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...1606786671

Benoit

Hi Josè, hi all, I've received my MK61, I'm not able at the moment to get pictures of it, but I'll share them asap.
What I found unusual on the label engraved on the back of the calculator (the price is the same 85 r) is the that
Manufactured: 08 91..............................................?
In all the others I met (on the web, of course, I mean) the year comes before the month....
12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
(12-07-2014 06:27 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hi Josè, hi all, I've received my MK61, I'm not able at the moment to get pictures of it, but I'll share them asap.
What I found unusual on the label engraved on the back of the calculator (the price is the same 85 r) is the that
Manufactured: 08 91..............................................?
In all the others I met (on the web, of course, I mean) the year comes before the month....

Hi Aurelio, too much key pressing creating carpal tunnel issues, right? Smile
I wish you a fast recovery!

Concerning your date question:
What is the serial number?
I'm not an connoisseur of these Russian models, however I have a MK-52 from 1986 that uses the same date schema (month-year).
My guess is that the manufacturing plant was initially using the Month-Year schema during the 80's and later in the 90's they changed it to Year-Month.
Apparently the low serial numbers used Month-Year schema, while the more recent serial numbers uses Year-Month.
Who can validate this?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-08-2014, 11:46 AM
(10-26-2014 04:49 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 04:34 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Brilliant. Both of you. Thanks.

Thanks for checking the PDF file, Den.

Those pages are indeed blank, to replicate as much as possible my paper copy of the Russian guide.
The only exceptions are page 3, 8 and 9 where I added some content not contained in the original.

The original covers have the same color strips, so I took the time to copy that schema as well.

[Image: original_mk61_guide.jpg]

Hi Josè, I realize now you have translated the user manual: WHAT GREAT A JOB YOU HAVE DONE, КАКОЙ ПОДАРОК!!!
12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
(12-08-2014 11:46 AM)aurelio Wrote:  Hi Josè, I realize now you have translated the user manual: WHAT GREAT A JOB YOU HAVE DONE, КАКОЙ ПОДАРОК!!!

Пожалуйста, Aurelio!
It is my pleasure to share this small work with my hobby peers.

I was bored and with some time to kill, using the Russian guide to check my recently acquired NIB MK-61, so one thing took to another and when I realized, I was running a full translation of the guide.

The worst part was to have to type so many words in Cyrillic on the OCR'd text, as my ABBY Reader, as good as it can be, was still misunderstanding a lot of text from the scanned pages, due to the small size Russian font used in the printed recycled pages.
Well, fortunately I have this Cyrillic keyboard overlays on my home computers since long time ago, from my other past translation works. But that's a story for other occasion.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-08-2014, 06:43 PM
(12-08-2014 02:08 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 11:46 AM)aurelio Wrote:  Hi Josè, I realize now you have translated the user manual: WHAT GREAT A JOB YOU HAVE DONE, КАКОЙ ПОДАРОК!!!

Пожалуйста, Aurelio!
It is my pleasure to share this small work with my hobby peers.

I was bored and with some time to kill, using the Russian guide to check my recently acquired NIB MK-61, so one thing took to another and when I realized, I was running a full translation of the guide.

The worst part was to have to type so many words in Cyrillic on the OCR'd text, as my ABBY Reader, as good as it can be, was still misunderstanding a lot of text from the scanned pages, due to the small size Russian font used in the printed recycled pages.
Well, fortunately I have this Cyrillic keyboard overlays on my home computers since long time ago, from my other past translation works. But that's a story for other occasion.
Hi just performed the check on the new arrived MK61 of the previous post and found a problem on the display,: it seems that the first digit does not work at all (the minus sign). If i perform a culculation using the (+/-) key the key work, but if the result is negative the sign "-" is not displayed.
I bought it finally on TAS and I just sent a message to the seller, we see.

what do you think about the other "anomaly" recorded with the previous post?
12-08-2014, 09:56 PM
(12-08-2014 06:43 PM)aurelio Wrote:  what do you think about the other "anomaly" recorded with the previous post?
See Post #50 above...

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-08-2014, 10:17 PM
(12-08-2014 09:56 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 06:43 PM)aurelio Wrote:  what do you think about the other "anomaly" recorded with the previous post?
See Post #50 above...

Sorry Josè i completely missed your previous answer, maybe 'cause of the picture which is attached in both the original post and the quoted one, my mistake!! Smile
see PM also
12-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Hello

i find today one in mint condition plus original cover in perfect condition ,someone is willing to buy?

[Image: 20141224_143915_resized_1_zps4718a408.jpg]

[Image: 20141224_143922_resized_1_zpsd5efc0b6.jpg]
10-28-2015, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 02:17 AM by Brad Barton.)
Yesterday I returned home from an over night trip to find my nephew a little excited for my arrival. He'd learned of my fascination with RPN calculators, and having caught a bit of the bug himself, had purchased an MK-61 as a gift for me.

It survived the air mail trip from the Ukraine to the US and we turned it on with great interest marveling at it's VFD display. Like others here, I've found the keyboard a bit flat and lacking in tactile feedback, but it seems to register reliably.

I mainly wanted to thank Jose and Katie for first translating (wow, what a job) and hosting (also a valuable contribution) the English version of the manual. So, thank you both very much.

My manual looks very different from the ones shown here. Perhaps an different version of the manual is to be expected since my 61 is an earlier version (12th week of '93 it appears). Also mine doesn't have the price molded into the plastic like the ones I see here. That part of my back cover is merely left blank. Maybe a little of the old capitalism was creeping in. See picture of the manual below.

Brad

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-28-2015, 04:17 AM
(10-28-2015 02:14 AM)Brad Barton Wrote:  My manual looks very different from the ones shown here. Perhaps an different version of the manual is to be expected since my 61 is an earlier version (12th week of '93 it appears). Also mine doesn't have the price molded into the plastic like the ones I see here. That part of my back cover is merely left blank. Maybe a little of the old capitalism was creeping in. See picture of the manual below.

Mine came with the same manual that you have, I think that they're common as I've seen others for sale/auction.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2015, 07:59 PM
A few days ago it came to me (new in box) MK-61 of 1988 year of production yet with the native display plastic sticker protection and original warranty factory seal.The indication of sign "-" is absent, but it is not difficult to repair. These calculators do not represent a collection value and are sold for $ 5...10 in the Ukraine.
Black color is a classic option.
[Image: a1f256e2c473t.jpg] [Image: 53cce89dc255t.jpg] [Image: bda8b82e624bt.jpg] [Image: 86e28d761234t.jpg]

Before and after the collapse of the USSR the manufacturers of MK-61 were not adhered to strict standards of design and quality. Nonetheless the following instance (1991) is working 20 years without any repair.
[Image: eaaade9cce1ct.jpg] [Image: 9d47d12f5d51t.jpg] [Image: d9757a24f715t.jpg] [Image: 4b82ea2054fat.jpg]

As the voltage DC-DC converter provides operation of the device within 2.5...8 volts, it is possible to use any battery. For proper readout voltage of discharge of a given type of battery (the appearance of many decimal points on the VFD) you need to adjust the values of R5, VD3 in the scheme of the converter.
For some strange reason, this is one of my favorite RPN-calculators.
Thank you jebem, wolter b, Katie for interesting and useful information
03-23-2016, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 09:55 PM by Hlib.)
[Image: 8c5563277b06.jpg] [Image: 88ba58098563.jpg] [Image: 5fde53c29584.jpg]
http://s020.radikal.ru/i704/1603/24/8c5563277b06.jpg
http://s019.radikal.ru/i611/1603/cb/88ba58098563.jpg
http://s019.radikal.ru/i633/1603/03/5fde53c29584.jpg

Blue МК- 61 repurchased in January 2016. I needed additional VFD, and a calculator was bought for $6 as a donor. If separately to acquire some components for repair - it is more expensive. But this device appeared in good condition and was never repaired. I decided not to kill him, to check, how many years he will work yet. Now I have the white МК-61 as record-holder - approximately 21 years in operation after capacitor replacement in DC - DC

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)