HP Classic Rear Label
06-20-2023, 03:00 AM
HP Classic Rear Label
Hello,

I opened up my first Classic (HP 35) a little while back. I used a very thin razor blade, to gently lift up an entire edge, dabbed adhesive remover (Elmer's Sticky Out Adhesive Remover) under the label, and eventually used dental floss under the label to shear the label away from the calculator to minimize distortion.

Today, I set the label back using a 3M spray adhesive (3M Super 77). I used the ID badge holder with spoon method to remove any wrinkles first. The label was clamped to the back shell using the ID badge holder directly over the label, and a plastic yogurt lid to smooth the pressure from the clamps over the label.

Results are in this folder:

HP 35 Back Label

I am happy with the results overall. There is a HP 45 waiting for a keyboard cleaning, and I wanted to improve my technique on removing the label. I didn’t like using the razor blade to remove the label because it seemed a little dangerous. Would constant dabbing the edge with IPA or adhesive remover work? Would it damage the printing on the label at all?

Thank you.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2023, 03:05 AM
RE: HP Classic Rear Label
(06-20-2023 03:00 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Hello,

I opened up my first Classic (HP 35) a little while back. I used a very thin razor blade, to gently lift up an entire edge, dabbed adhesive remover (Elmer's Sticky Out Adhesive Remover) under the label, and eventually used dental floss under the label to shear the label away from the calculator to minimize distortion.

Today, I set the label back using a 3M spray adhesive (3M Super 77). I used the ID badge holder with spoon method to remove any wrinkles first. The label was clamped to the back shell using the ID badge holder directly over the label, and a plastic yogurt lid to smooth the pressure from the clamps over the label.

Results are in this folder:

HP 35 Back Label

I am happy with the results overall. There is a HP 45 waiting for a keyboard cleaning, and I wanted to improve my technique on removing the label. I didn’t like using the razor blade to remove the label because it seemed a little dangerous. Would constant dabbing the edge with IPA or adhesive remover work? Would it damage the printing on the label at all?

Thank you.

Better yet: use a hair dryer, or a hot gun on low, to warm up the label. That melts the glue and you can peel it off with very little force.
06-20-2023, 02:27 PM
Thank you. I did use hot air to soften the edges first, and lift up using a razor blade. I didn’t use hot air the rest of the way, which I will try next time. I found the centre of the label to have a very strong adherence still.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
06-25-2023, 02:58 AM
The HP-45 Rear Label was much easier after using regular heat while removing the label.

Here is the method I followed:

1. Dab adhesive remover on the right edge of label and apply heat from hot air gun on Low.
2. Careful use of thin razor blade to get under entire right side of the label.
3. Applying heat periodically to have the glue soften while working the razor under the label
4. After getting enough label lifted, about 1 cm, apply heat again and pull label up while maintaining some tension to reduce any creasing.

HP-45 Rear Label and Cleaning

The label is in great condition after removal with much less creasing than my first attempt with the 35.

This 45 has many keys which don’t register the first time, or without excessive pressure applied. I’ll be cleaning under the domes with IPA soaked paper strips. It’s quite a good condition unit, and I’m looking forward to using it.

I’m starting to love HP Classics!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)