DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
07-18-2024, 08:52 AM
RE: DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
(07-15-2024 12:29 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I'm curious about something regarding these .csv files:

Does the calc actually read from the FAT disk during operation, or does it access them once (at startup) to read them in, and then close the FAT disk?

Yes, it reads the file every time. Loading them in memory would take too much space, at least on the DM42. Plus quick experiments showed that reading from disk or reading data from read-only memory happens at roughly the same speed (both are from flash memory anyway).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2024, 08:56 AM
(07-18-2024 04:03 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  I just wanted to chime in (for once) without reporting an issue...

Instead, I am reporting SPEED!

I recently heard of the R47 calculator (variant of the C47 with two shift keys), and made an overlay and keylabel set for it. I thought I would give it a try on my DM42 before applying any overlays or labels, and I was immediately struck by the sluggishness of the calculator (on battery power). Just repeatedly pressing the square root of a number over and over has a very noticeable delay/lag. If you do it fast enough and often enough, you can stop and then wait several seconds for the calculator to catch up.

I still remember commenting to c3d a while back when I felt that DB48x was feeling sluggish to me (when dividing 2 numbers with a decimal point (and lots of digits)), and in the next release there was a significant and noticeable difference in speed. (If I recall correctly it was a screen rendering or graphical adjustment.)

There's no way for me to go back to the other projects right now (C47) - they just "feel" too slow to me after using DB48x for many months (maybe a year?). I feel like only the stock DM42 firmware is faster from my experience.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliment. However, I'm curious about the DM42 firmware being faster. Are there specific operations where this is particularly noticeable and where I should spend time optimizing if I can?
07-18-2024, 01:01 PM
(07-18-2024 08:56 AM)c3d Wrote:  Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliment. However, I'm curious about the DM42 firmware being faster. Are there specific operations where this is particularly noticeable and where I should spend time optimizing if I can?

You're welcome! Honestly, I was shooting from the hip with that statement about the DM42 firmware being faster. I haven't used it in a long time, but it felt like program editing was much faster there than on the C47 platform. I haven't done any heavy programming with DB48x that needed navigation around big programs.

I really don't have any complaints regarding speed on DB48x. I am curious about the DM32 hardware, though, and how that performs. My biggest complaint about the DM42 hardware is the very limited FAT filesystem size, but I don't think the DM32 improves on that at all.

WP31S/WP34S, WP43/C47, newRPL (various), and DB48X adhesive and tabbed overlays:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html
07-18-2024, 04:23 PM
(07-18-2024 01:01 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(07-18-2024 08:56 AM)c3d Wrote:  Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliment. However, I'm curious about the DM42 firmware being faster. Are there specific operations where this is particularly noticeable and where I should spend time optimizing if I can?

You're welcome! Honestly, I was shooting from the hip with that statement about the DM42 firmware being faster. I haven't used it in a long time, but it felt like program editing was much faster there than on the C47 platform. I haven't done any heavy programming with DB48x that needed navigation around big programs.

I really don't have any complaints regarding speed on DB48x. I am curious about the DM32 hardware, though, and how that performs. My biggest complaint about the DM42 hardware is the very limited FAT filesystem size, but I don't think the DM32 improves on that at all.

The C47 project is still in active development and the code has not been optimized and also contains 'extra' stuff to accomodate debugging. Once the functionality is complete, the team is planning to remove the extra bloat and then fine-tune for better performance. Speed increase factors from 2-3 and most likelu more are expected.

You're right, the DM32 FAT is also 6MB, a limit of the hardware used.

--Bob Prosperi
07-18-2024, 05:16 PM
(07-18-2024 04:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The C47 project is still in active development and the code has not been optimized and also contains 'extra' stuff to accomodate debugging. Once the functionality is complete, the team is planning to remove the extra bloat and then fine-tune for better performance. Speed increase factors from 2-3 and most likelu more are expected.

You're right, the DM32 FAT is also 6MB, a limit of the hardware used.

I am excited to hear that - I look forward to trying it again once the performance is improved! Until that point, the sluggishness is a deal-breaker for me. The R47 option adds an interesting option with the two shift keys that might pry me away from DB48x on a trial basis once the speed improves.

WP31S/WP34S, WP43/C47, newRPL (various), and DB48X adhesive and tabbed overlays:
07-18-2024, 06:29 PM
Interactive Stack question...

Maybe this is expected behavior, but if I want to edit the first level of the stack (let's say I had an extraneous digit on the first level and I want to go back and remove that digit), I hit the left arrow key, then "Edit" from the function menu (F1). From there, I was expecting I could just backspace (the "Drop" key above the division symbol) the extra digit out and hit enter to exit the interactive mode.

Instead, when I do this, the drop key does it's "normal" function of dropping the bottom level on the stack.

How would I actually perform the edits after pressing the edit function key in interactive stack mode?

07-18-2024, 07:17 PM
(07-18-2024 06:29 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Interactive Stack question...

Maybe this is expected behavior, but if I want to edit the first level of the stack (let's say I had an extraneous digit on the first level and I want to go back and remove that digit), I hit the left arrow key, then "Edit" from the function menu (F1). From there, I was expecting I could just backspace (the "Drop" key above the division symbol) the extra digit out and hit enter to exit the interactive mode.

Instead, when I do this, the drop key does it's "normal" function of dropping the bottom level on the stack.

How would I actually perform the edits after pressing the edit function key in interactive stack mode?

I think that I messed up the Edit feature by trying to mix what the HPs call Edit and Echo. I need to rethink that. It all came from not liking that Echo does not show what is being echoed.
07-18-2024, 08:24 PM
(07-18-2024 07:17 PM)c3d Wrote:  
(07-18-2024 06:29 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Interactive Stack question...

I think that I messed up the Edit feature by trying to mix what the HPs call Edit and Echo. I need to rethink that. It all came from not liking that Echo does not show what is being echoed.

OK - so it's not just me misunderstanding the feature then...

Thanks!

07-19-2024, 10:56 AM
(07-18-2024 08:24 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(07-18-2024 07:17 PM)c3d Wrote:  I think that I messed up the Edit feature by trying to mix what the HPs call Edit and Echo. I need to rethink that. It all came from not liking that Echo does not show what is being echoed.

OK - so it's not just me misunderstanding the feature then...

Thanks!

No, it's more like me misimplementing it by merging "Echo" and "Edit". I'll try to fix it for the next release, but I have to figure out a design that also allows the result of "Echo" to show up in the command line, because I believe that is an improvement over HP's implementation.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)