Bye bye Prime
08-30-2014, 01:05 AM
RE: Bye bye Prime
My mistake, you're right it should be 72. I don't have either access to an 9100 or 9810 and just counted too much additions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 05:56 AM
(08-29-2014 01:17 PM)peacecalc Wrote:  Hello folks,

for me it seems the thread has changed his contents, it is not longer a thread about a possibly ugly machine (not only in a aesthetic way), but a thread about the meaning of RPL, RPN, NLP and so on...

Maybe it would be a good idea to split this thread in two different ones...

Greetings
peaceglue
Yes you're right, the thread has wandered and turned into an expert debates on some specific aspects. This being said I wasn't really complaining about the Prime. My message was more informative (I have no longer one) and somehow I wanted to share my concerns about the fact I gave it to my son for his studies. I'm really really wondering if I did the right thing or sabotaged his chances. As long as it was my toy for the sole experimentation purpose @ home with no further consequence I didn't really care but now his studies are a serious topic and I wonder if I shall consider re-spending money on a more robust calculator and in that case which one should this be?
08-30-2014, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 07:06 AM by hansklav.)
(08-30-2014 05:56 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(08-29-2014 01:17 PM)peacecalc Wrote:  Hello folks,

for me it seems the thread has changed his contents, it is not longer a thread about a possibly ugly machine (not only in a aesthetic way), but a thread about the meaning of RPL, RPN, NLP and so on...

Maybe it would be a good idea to split this thread in two different ones...

Greetings
peaceglue
Yes you're right, the thread has wandered and turned into an expert debates on some specific aspects. This being said I wasn't really complaining about the Prime. My message was more informative (I have no longer one) and somehow I wanted to share my concerns about the fact I gave it to my son for his studies. I'm really really wondering if I did the right thing or sabotaged his chances. As long as it was my toy for the sole experimentation purpose @ home with no further consequence I didn't really care but now his studies are a serious topic and I wonder if I shall consider re-spending money on a more robust calculator and in that case which one should this be?

I recently bought an HP Prime and up till now am not unhappy with it. Imho for educational purposes it’s OK.

But it certainly takes some time getting used to.

And I cannot use it without my glasses. The lettering on the keyboard has much too little contrast and is too small for my presbyopic eyes, but for younger eyes that will be less a problem ;-)

Hans
08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
(08-30-2014 01:05 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  My mistake, you're right it should be 72. I don't have either access to an 9100 or 9810 and just counted too much additions.

After a good night I'm not anymore thinking it should be 72. Starting with 9 in X and Y and doing 8 additions accumulating the result in Y, I'm finding my initial result: 81. It would be good if someone can confirm on real hardware.
08-30-2014, 08:34 PM
(08-30-2014 11:26 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 01:05 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  My mistake, you're right it should be 72. I don't have either access to an 9100 or 9810 and just counted too much additions.

After a good night I'm not anymore thinking it should be 72. Starting with 9 in X and Y and doing 8 additions accumulating the result in Y, I'm finding my initial result: 81. It would be good if someone can confirm on real hardware.

I think you are right. It is not simply 8 × 9. The first time you press + you get 9 + 9 right away (not 0 + 9), so the 8th time you have 8 × 9 + 9 = 81.

Thanks for your attention, I'll change the RPN Tutorial web page.

Hans
09-05-2014, 08:52 PM
(08-27-2014 10:19 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(08-27-2014 10:09 AM)Dave Dirckx Wrote:  Fortunately I can fall back to the 50G and other models to enjoy a reliable HP RPN calculator.

The 50G is RPL, not RPN.

dUndecided
So sorry walter, but it is RPN. RPL is it's programming language.

Now what you call RPN is what I would call a TXYZ register based calculator that just happens to have some operation similar to true stack based systems. Realistically programming and operation on those old style HPs reminds me alot of 6502 assembly and all the register ops, e.g. TXA
09-07-2014, 10:42 AM
(08-26-2014 07:04 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I gave it today to my son for his studies. ...

To return a bit to the start of this discussion: In less than three weeks my daughter will start a BA study of "Linguistics and Mathematics (equal)". Since there aren't any restrictions regarding the use of a CAS calculator during the studies, I gave my daughter the choice between TI-89, TI-92 Plus, HP 49G, and HP Prime (I was not willing to give my HP 50G away). I demonstrated the capabilities of those calculators by performing the symbolic integration of 1/(1+x^4) from 0 to infinity, which both of TI's solved in some ten seconds, the HP 49 G took much longer time to solve this integral finally, and the HP Prime gave the answer instantaneously. This, plus the fact of having a touchscreen, let my daughter choose the HP Prime, which she called "the iPhone of calculators". So clearly there is a target group for the HP Prime in education market!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)