where to find old Casio calculators and pocket computers in Tokyo
08-06-2023, 01:52 PM
where to find old Casio calculators and pocket computers in Tokyo
I'm heading to Tokyo shortly and was wondering if anyone has any good tips on places to find old Casio calculators and pocket computers.

Any information appreciated.

Arigato :-)

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2023, 06:12 AM
RE: where to find old Casio calculators and pocket computers in Tokyo
In case anyone else is looking to do the same, here is what I found when looking for calculators in Japan (new and old).

New - Bic Camera is a large electrical department store and they have a very large array of Casio calculators from simple 4 functions, to finance to scientific. For simple calculators they had numerous colours to choose from. There were probably some models not available in all/other countries but there was too many to go through them all and I wasn't really looking for midrange new models. When comparing prices (I only looked at a few top end calculators) they were similarly priced to Australia.

There were a few Canon and Sharp calculators available but these were far outweighed by Casio. The electronic dictionary must be very popular in Japan too as there were whole sections devoted to these (Casio EX-Word).

I did pickup a Casio SL-880 for around $AU25 which is the rerelease of the MG-880 from the 80s which played melodies and the invaders game. The rerelease only has the game.

Interestingly, I did not see a single HP calculator and I went to multiple and different department stores.

Old - I was hoping to find some classic programmable calculators and/or pocket computers and the best place to look seemed to be the tech area of Tokyo, Akihabara. I did find a lot of second hand tech stores but there weren't many calculators and those that I found weren't that special or cheap enough to pick up at least something. Again, there were lots of older model Casio EX-Word devices.

The used stores mostly contained older mobile phones, tablets and laptops. Sadly I think calculators and pocket computers are now too old for them to sell enough of to make it worthwhile.

I did see a couple of retro computer stores with very old computers, consoles and games which was interesting but not what I was looking for.

09-02-2023, 06:47 AM
Casio's FX-603P for the win. One of the best calculators ever.

Their FX-602P was close but it's limited memory is it's downfall. Plus the limited IO meant it couldn't compete with the HP 41 series. Back in the day 512 bytes was **huge** of course.
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2023, 07:31 AM
The 603p is on my list and it would have been great to find one while in Japan.

The ones I see online are very expensive and condition varies greatly so not sure I want to risk the big outlay :-(

(09-02-2023 06:47 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Casio's FX-603P for the win. One of the best calculators ever.

Their FX-602P was close but it's limited memory is it's downfall. Plus the limited IO meant it couldn't compete with the HP 41 series. Back in the day 512 bytes was **huge** of course.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)