HP Prime: cant simplify answer output
08-25-2023, 12:31 AM
HP Prime: cant simplify answer output
Hello Forum,

First post! I cant figure out how to simplify the answers that my HP prime 2 outputs. Please see photo.

I would like the calculator to automatically simplify the fractions in the answer that it outputs. For example when I ask the calculator for the partial fraction of 1/(10x^2+5x). The answer that i expect is 1/(5x) - 2/(5(2x+1)), though the calculator is giving me a more complex answer (1/5)/x - (1/5)/(x+(1/2)).

This is just one example, though I have been experiencing it with many other solutions outputted. Any help is appreciated, Thank you!    
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2023, 01:20 AM
RE: HP Prime: cant simplify answer output
simplify ->max

Permanently banned
08-25-2023, 02:07 AM
(08-25-2023 01:20 AM)Alchemisst Wrote:  simplify ->max

Thanks for your reply. I set the simplify settings to maximum in the settings and it is still providing the same output.
08-25-2023, 03:31 PM
Of course the expected answer and the HP answer are the same but its surprising that the HP does not simplify and output the expected answer. I tried this on my ti nspire CAS and it gives the expected answer. I have found many instances of poor algebraic manipulation on the Prime. I learn to live with it and do the simplification myself.
08-25-2023, 03:33 PM
Well, the answer for partial fraction decomposition is a sum of coeff/(x-root) (for simple real roots), this is what you would get by doing it by hand. If you want to simplify a part of an expression, then it's not easy because there is no expression editor like on the hp49 (I mean a user interface that lets you select a subexpression and apply a transformation over it).
Here you can type:
Code:

f:=partfrac(1/(10x^2+5x));
f[1](simplify(op(f)))
Explanation: f[1] returns the root operator of the expression in f, op(f) returns the list of arguments of the root operator, simplify will simplify the list of arguments, then the root operator f[1] ('+') is applied on the list. You can not run simplify(f) because it would combine all in one fraction.
08-25-2023, 04:26 PM
This CAS program will be able to display the answer in a more straightforward readable format.

I hope this will help.

[code]
// Part fraction in simpler display
// Run the program in CAS home
// Corruptissima
#cas
//Enter equation
partfracn(f):=
BEGIN
local a,b,c,t;
// Perform partfrac
t:=partfrac(f);
// Store left most part of the equation
a:=left(t);
// Store the rightmost part of the equation
c:=right(t);
// Obtain the middle part of the equation
// If exist
b:=t-a-c;
//Simplify to readable form
a:=factor(a);
b;=factor(b);
c:=factor(c);
// Complete the final equation
t:=factor(a)+factor(b)+factor(c);
// Output the answer
RETURN(t);
END;
#end

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-02-2023, 02:09 AM
Still, I think HP/Maravia(sp?) need to urgently address all these simplification issues I've been noticing as well, as I further my self-directed math studies. Even when setting simplify to 'maximum'.

The Casio FX-CG500 will show them correctly simplified (as shown by various Youtube instructors).

Unfortunately, I can't cite specific examples, but I just know I've encountered many on the Prime - versus the Casio FX-CG500 I also have.

I'm new to CAS with these 2 calcs, but I would've thought something like simplification would be a cornerstone of a CAS system.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)