TI NSpire CX CAS OS Update Question
09-09-2023, 06:01 AM
TI NSpire CX CAS OS Update Question
Hi all.

I excavated and uncovered my NSpire CX CAS. My OS is 3.6.0. What updates and improvements does the latest OS 4.5.5.79 update have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2023, 07:44 AM
RE: TI NSpire CX CAS OS Update Question
This link (PDF file) details the changes from v4.0 to v4.5 inclusive, so it’s a partial answer to your question. A quick search hasn’t revealed a complete changelog.

Nigel (UK)
09-09-2023, 08:42 AM
Looks like an update I could use.

I have an idea.

I don’t have a PC or Mac. So, if anyone is willing, I could send my NSpire CX CAS to you to perform the update and you could send the calc back. Sound good?
09-09-2023, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2023 12:09 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-09-2023 08:42 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Looks like an update I could use.

I have an idea.

I don’t have a PC or Mac. So, if anyone is willing, I could send my NSpire CX CAS to you to perform the update and you could send the calc back. Sound good?

You really don't have any access to or know of anyone locally in Pasedena, California, either a neighbor or at school or work that has a computer? Wow! I've PMed you with my address, anyway, just in case you're serious.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-10-2023, 12:33 AM
(09-09-2023 12:07 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(09-09-2023 08:42 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Looks like an update I could use.

I have an idea.

You really don't have any access to or know of anyone locally in Pasedena, California, either a neighbor or at school or work that has a computer? Wow! I've PMed you with my address, anyway, just in case you're serious.

Thanks.
09-10-2023, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2023 01:08 AM by rprosperi.)
(09-09-2023 08:42 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  I don’t have a PC or Mac. So, if anyone is willing, I could send my NSpire CX CAS to you to perform the update and you could send the calc back. Sound good?

Wow!! That's Bold!!

Not asking, this is a great group and folks here are happy to help other members, but choosing to live day-to-day without any kind of PC is bold, unexpected and surely perplexing to most readers here. Wait! You're not in prison, right?

--Bob Prosperi
09-10-2023, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2023 06:02 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
Hi. To cut a long story short (yes, a nod to the Spandau Ballet song of the same name):

After buying my first iPhone (4S) in 2012, I discovered it would not meet up with my PowerBook G4. As I kept working with my 4S, I redirected my ingenuity into making the 4S something of a handheld Mac, spinning off from my ingenuity of making my Palm PDAs their own version of a Pocket Mac.

That creativity transferred to my iPads. By that time, I was so pleased that I resolved to make iOS/iPadOS my de-facto platform. Thus, my PowerBook has been retired.

Since connectivity of my NSpire CX CAS needs a PC/Mac, and cannot connect to the iPad, it has been running version version 3.6.0 of the OS ever since.
09-10-2023, 12:15 PM
Hello!

(09-10-2023 06:00 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Since connectivity of my NSpire CX CAS needs a PC/Mac, ...

I found out that with a house full of ageing electronics (especially if one collects calculators and similar devices) a PC of similar vintage is indispensable. Ideally if it comes with a real serial RS232 connection. Not long ago I had to change some parameters of the controller for our solar collector which was installed in the year 2000. I bought a Toshiba notebook with Windows XP off eBay for that puropse for 30 Euros... As a bonus, I now can also connect to various calculators of my collection, e.g. the HP 48 series and many of the Ti graphic models, which was never possible before with my Macintosh. I do not use that notebook for anything else as I have been a spoilt Apple user since more than 30 years...

Regards
Max
09-10-2023, 02:11 PM
If you can borrow another nSpire of the same model with a more up-to-date OS, you can also transfer the OS from that calculator to yours using the USB mini-B to mini-B cable that came with the calculator.

— Ian Abbott
09-10-2023, 03:49 PM
(09-10-2023 02:11 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  If you can borrow another nSpire of the same model with a more up-to-date OS, you can also transfer the OS from that calculator to yours using the USB mini-B to mini-B cable that came with the calculator.

Brilliant idea! Thanks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)